Dublin Marathon

I was just wondering if there was anyone from Northern Ireland heading down to Dublin in October to run the marathon??? It'll be my first and I CANT WAIT image

Comments

• Yes I am, My first marathon too - excited and nervous!!image

• Not entered as yet but training away for it..... will be my 3rd Marathon but first time doing Dublin.
    A few pals have done it previously - great atmosphere I believe!

• I'm coming over from Brighton especially to run the maratho. It will be my first non-Brighton marathon and my 5th in total.

From different sources I've heard that the last few miles are either 'hilly' or 'undulating'. Could anybody give me a slightly more accurate an idea of the inclines/hills on the route.

• Anne Solley (Clumsy) wrote (see)

I'm coming over from Brighton especially to run the maratho. It will be my first non-Brighton marathon and my 5th in total.

From different sources I've heard that the last few miles are either 'hilly' or 'undulating'. Could anybody give me a slightly more accurate an idea of the inclines/hills on the route.

This year will be my first as I got a DNS last year image, but its not meant to be too hilly. There's a longish drag at around mile 20 as you go past the University, I think that there may be a shorter drag a mile or two further, but nothing too bad. Just do a few hill runs and (as they say over here) 'you'll be grand'.

I expect somebody with actual experience will be along soon.

BTW, there's another fairly long thread about it in Events.

• Thanks, Redjeep.

Cool - there are plenty of 'drag' type hills in Brighton I can practice on. I have found the main Dublin thread so may chat there occasionally.

• Ran a half today - longest distance so far. With 8 weeks to Dublin, anyone know if I will have time to get up to the magic 20 in 6 weeks?

• You don't need to run the 'magic' 20 to be able to complete a marathon. Some plans only go up to 16/17/18 miles and I'm sure you can achieve this. Don't forget you'll need to include some taper time.

It depends on how experienced a runner you are as to whether you can get up to 20 miles but you'll definitely be able to get close. It's all about getting to the start line in one piece so you don't want to over-do it and risk injury.

• You'll be grand Phil, plenty of time still left to get in a few long runs and to taper properly.

Anne, I've run Dublin twice and you're right the last few miles are a little hilly, there is one quite challenging hill around mile 21/22 (if I remember correctly), if you get over that one you're home and dry! For me nothing beats that finish in Merrion Square image

Best of luck,

P

• Philip Kelly wrote (see)

Ran a half today - longest distance so far. With 8 weeks to Dublin, anyone know if I will have time to get up to the magic 20 in 6 weeks?

Nobody can really answer this without knowing your background.

What's you typical volume in a week or over a longer period ? If you have been doing a fair amount of running i.e. a couple of double figure runs per week for a while then you'll probably be ok pushing your long runs to get to 20 miles. If you've only ever done a handful of runs over 10 miles then take it easy as you stand a good chance of injury.

Try not to increase your mileage by more than about 10% per week, you can probably go a bit higher without much risk but don't increase by 50% suddenly or you'll be lucky to make it to the start line.

• Did it last year as my first marathon, fantastic experience, great fun,loads of support, mile 21 is right for heartbreak hill but after that its downhill then flat, big noisy finish at Merrion Square which makes it all worthwhile, fantastic sights and sounds that night with guys and girls in all the pubs swapping war stories in their "proud finisher" shirts and medals, best of luck to you all and I hope it's the first of many for you 1st timers image

• All signed up. Thanks for the advice guys. Did a nice easy 7 miles today. Will let you know how the 16 miler goes on Monday!

• So it looks like I'll just have to drag myself to the pub to drink Guinness afterwards? What a shame!! image

Are there any specific pubs recommended for post race?

• Anne, I started at the one closest to the finish line and then just took it from there image

• Oh great. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate completing a marathon.

• Anne, the closest is probably the best, but three of my favourites are

Toners

Mulligans

The Brazen Head (supposedly the oldest pub in Dublin)

I'll try and think of a couple more.

• Exactly 6 week until the big party (with a bit of running thrown in)! image