Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I do envy the sub 75 Half gang though. Finishing a half is satisfying enough, getting a pb terrific, but hitting perhaps the last BIG rounded target (with sub 70 being the reserve of the real top dogs)  like that would be immense image

i think that pb is going to fall for you in the next 12-18months or so if you stay injury free.  you are very close already.   increasing your speed slightly on 5k/10k will unlock that im sure. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I did notice that our club were asking us to pay if we wanted to enter the Aldershot road relays! Whereas they normally pay for all the other relays and xc etc!

But of course, the relays we do offer 2 things, good bit of team banter, especially for me when I'm 40miles away from them, and only see them at XCs otherwise, and a chance of being in the mix for pots.

I think you need to keep some esteem that you're not too bad at this running lark, or why would you continue?

Ric, wow, 1hr 12? Not sure about that...but then I doubt i'd be doing month after month of long slow massive mileage. There will no doubt be a period of base building and xc, and like Dean says, it's the staying free of too much injury that is the real barrier.  The rest is in place, motivation, quality coach, free time etc

• SG, 75 for a half is not the end of it all. When you get there, you will discover other targets. There isn't an ideal moment when you are suddenly happy with all your PBs: every time you set a new PB, the other distances look like they need correcting and by the time that is done, you look back and find the one that started it in the first place needs adjusting.

Your 10 mile is looking a bit soft at the moment, based on Wokingham you should be comfortably inside 57, and your 5 mile way out of kilter, should be much closer to 27 than 28.

Relays etc are all big fish, small pond etc. I find that big races bring out the best runs so am much happier to run in a bi race but get the consolation prize of doing well in an age group. I can understand if you are early 30s then prizes are hard to come by and I too used to target a lot of team prizes and relays; a bit of bling now and again is a good motivator.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's all a bit of a continual re-adjustment like you say.

That glorious time is when you make a real breakthrough and then get to reel in the other distances.

Hopefully have a nice spell of time now to see if a 10mile attempt mid October might be an idea. CP is closer and has more threadites, but GSR is the bigger faster race, as long as that last 2mile stretch doesn't blow you into the sea. Last year I was on for breaking that 57.09, but that wind ended up seeing me 20 or so seconds over it.

•  treat PBs like Sir Alex Ferguson treated league titles. the minute you have one you start working towards the next.  

enjoy the moment then after a day or so it counts for nothing more than a stepping stone to the next PB. 

talking of PBs where is Mr PB in Stevie See?  he never checked in with his 5k a few weeks ago and although i saw the result i hope there is no injury or drama. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i fear the end to his epic school holiday means he's snowed under with work!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Team manager has predicted 2:10 for my leg of the Round Norfolk Relay. No pressure at that pace.

Weather forecast indicates some wind and light rain. Can hardly wait.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, all your concerns at conditions must surely be referenced against you turning up the ludicrously swamped and wet Marlow half last year!

• Hello everybody!!

Finally I have fibre optic broadband installed in my new house and I can start posting again! My phone has issues with the RW site so didn't bother and it made me tap in my login every time!

So... dare I ask what I've missed in the past 2-3 weeks?

I ran a 5000 at the Stoke open which was a horror show. Was dead hot, only 2 of us in the race. Other fella was way quicker and I died a shocking death! The end of the summer was hard as I fell out of form.

But back on it now, a 61 then a 62 mile week last week, sessions tempo based and feeling strong and very motivated!

Good to be back!

• Hi Stevie - glad you're back! A two horse race eh? Interesting...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shit-a-brick! I'd almost forgotton about Marlow. Easily the most farcical conditions I've ever attempted to run in. Oddly enough it was the downhills that did for me. 

No concerns for Norfolk. I reckon I could do 6:30's running through hurricane Katrina.

There's a staggered start at the RNR (5:30 to 12:00) to enable all the teams to finish at the same time time. My club has gone for the 6:00am option. In previous years our later start-time has usually ensured by the time I got the baton, we were dead last on the road. 

If everything goes to plan this year, I have the feeling I'll be setting off in the lead or close to it. The next 55 miles has our fastest runners on so it'll average around 6:20 pace. Our predicted finish time average is 2 minutes slower than that, so in theory it could be a big lead.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back Stevie...much missed on here.

Ric, remind us how long this relay is, and what your leg is? 2hours did you say?! Wow that's a long leg!

Hope you see more people than I did on my 5.2mile leg on sunday!

Although in fairness I did see about 500 cyclists coming from the other direction and numerous walkers, dogs etc!

• welcome back Stevie. good to hear your fighting fit and chomping at the bit!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Stevie. this weeks been a non starter running wise. I still can't walk properly never mind run. The wife has to carry my daughter upstairs and down as I need both hands to drag myself up and down. 

I've also left my running club and joined my second claim club. All to do with politics and not wearing a club vest at races as the material is something from the 80s. Some old stalwart then slated me on FB saying I'm a disgrace to the club for not wearing it at Ben Nevis. That was the final straw so resigned. quicker runners at my new club so looking forward to their sessions and the relays etc. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love it Matt, can't beat the being slated online thing!

Why you'd have to wear a club vest at an event that is nothing to do with your club and presumably has none of the locals at I don't know.

4x1200 at "tempo" pace today, off 60secs, (threshold to some of you). Ideal for the track, but circumstances meant I could do it at lunch, but would have to be on the road.

First and second reps were outwards, with slight descent, and very slight descent, and 3rd and 4th were very slight incline, and slight incline with wind and stomach issues image

Tempo middle zone is 5.40, which would be 4.15 for a 3/4mile rep (went 0.75mile rather than 1200m for ease)

4.05, 4.09 ,4.11 ,4.22

Course profile clearly shows it wasn't just a massive meltdown, and generally went nicely, but probably shouldn't have left it so that the 4th rep was inclining into wind! All good training though.

• Yep - those road courses of got a nasty habit of having inclines and wind! Good pace either way though SG.

Matt - glad I'm out of club politics! I can understnad the vest for a club points event or relay, but not for soemthing like the Ben!

8M for me at lunch, aiming for the middle 5M at MP. Got slightly carried away and turned into MP -10secs (6:27, 6:20, 6:21, 6:20, 6:10). Legs a bit sore after, but then I've done 40M in 4 days including a race, so not entirely surprising. Double tomorrow for 13, Fri off, 22 Sat and Sun off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah club politics...obviously I had the one bit of "fun" with the whole 1st claim 2nd claim business last summer.

The have to wear club kit to score is a decent rule in fairness for club events. I do remember a cheeky chap VERY hastily changing after a race once before the team photo...

as if we hadn't noticed he'd not worn club kit image

• against the grain perhaps but i will always wear my club vest in a race. I represent my club at every race, points or no points, particularly if i got a £2 discount for being a UKA member.

but can understand matts view if the quality of the vest is rubbish & uncomfortable, i wouldnt have not worn it either. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Yep - those road courses of got a nasty habit of having inclines and wind! Good pace either way though SG.

Matt - glad I'm out of club politics! I can understnad the vest for a club points event or relay, but not for soemthing like the Ben!

8M for me at lunch, aiming for the middle 5M at MP. Got slightly carried away and turned into MP -10secs (6:27, 6:20, 6:21, 6:20, 6:10). Legs a bit sore after, but then I've done 40M in 4 days including a race, so not entirely surprising. Double tomorrow for 13, Fri off, 22 Sat and Sun off.

Did similar last week...a tidy session. One of those that if you did within a half marathon would feel a doss, but on your own in training a fair workout. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm with Dean, always wear the club vest at races - that's despite the fact that the fit is not particularly flattering (overly long straps, so hangs too low and loose) and it becomes uncomfortable in the wet.  I like to feel like I'm running on behalf of the club, even when I'm some way away.  But there are plenty at the club who don't, including one or two of the fastest, and I'm not aware of anyone making an issue about it.

The one thing they say is that club records don't count if they weren't run in a club vest.

• I always wear my club vest at races too, even though it's really horrible. But I think I've only done two races this year that weren't for the club, and for VLM I thought I had to wear it anyway, though I did see a woman blag her way into the championship start without a club vest on. That seemed a bit wrong since you had to be in a club to enter at all.

edit: she was wearing a vest, just not the club one. She wasn't doing it topless.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

in fairness I tend to wear the club vest at all races, mostly because it's quite nice, and represents the club etc.

Although it's slightly less of a conversational piece bearing in mind I'm not from that area. With Marlow at least I was a local ish runner. Sandhurst is 40miles away.

Does mean when Jock Itch does his terrific reports and calls me a "local slag", at least half of that is incorrect image

You have to be in a club to qualify for the championship start? Sounds surprising, as surely it's simply a black and white have you hit the qualification time or not question.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    You have to be in a club to qualify for the championship start? Sounds surprising, as surely it's simply a black and white have you hit the qualification time or not question.

Surely Championship is the give away SG? image

• The championship start is for people competing in the national club championships, hence the name. If you get the qualifying time for a marathon but aren't in a club you can just enter as good for age instead. I qualified with a half-marathon time though so I had to join a club and enter that way.

• the championship is open to those in a UKA team and qualifying time

edit: beaten by johans and Lit...must have spent too much time thinking about topless ladies running

• oh, x-post with Johnas. SG doesn't concern himself with things like marathon championships, so we should cut him some slack for not knowing.

• that might change IF he had a sub 75 HM  imageimageimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image sorry marathon people...didn't mean to offend you all image

I wonder if i ever get under 75 for a half whether i'd suddenly gag to do London with the auto qualification...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hmm similar thinking eh Johnas...i expect i'd not like the year on year bind, the sort of thing race streak people have...one of those chaps who has run every Wycombe half looks bloody miserable every summer!

• Dean - I think UKA rules actually prohibit topless racing. Also she'd have had to pin her numbers to her shorts.