Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• you can have my number stevie...i think i will leave it another yr and concentrate on track next summer

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

surprised you even gave it took you that long to decide Dean. With your obvious short distance prowess, a few years smashing the track seems a no brainer.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/ipodwar_0.png

How about always wearing a club vest in races, but without actually being a member of the club?

Clue, it isn't me.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as long as he's not entering under the name it's ok. Vaguely knowing of his MO though, I expect he means to sign on, but doesn't get round to it.

As for you, wow, what a fine figure of a man. The buff physique, the serious look, the shades, the old school tuck in job.

That photo doesn't quite look right though, you've super imposed yourself on right?

• Lit - you are right about the UKA and vest rules. it's caused quite a stir on the Fell Runners site, as there are many who like to race topless (men mostly!) but hadn't picked up on this rule!

Dachs - you can do what I did with my MacmIllan vest which had long straps - take an inch or whatvere off at the seams and so them back up again. Worked a treat.

• How about wearing club vests on club training nights?

Did a 5k handicap race with my new club today. The handicap was set last week in a time trial. I set of in penultimate place with the fast guy from last week 20 secs behind me. Legs killing me after Sunday's 10k and running up Hellvellyn yesterday so struggled. Another blind one, this time without any other runners within sight for half of the race.. Did 17:23 and came 4th from last.. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was still carrying some flab in that picture. Dulwich Park, you know it well.

🙂

• Bridges handicap at lunchtime. 5 miles jog out and another 5 miles back. 2.3 miles race in the middle in 13:49 (splits 5:58, 5:57 and 5:52 for the bits at the end) so getting faster all the way. Started out with 15 seconds lead on the guy behind me and he closed that very quickly but didn't pass so I was pushing all the way with him just behind. He passed in the last 400 or so but not conclusively so I took him back for the fun of it.

Club politics huh! Wait until the cross country starts, promises to be fun. Have to wear a club vest or get DQed. Odd thing is that people waer them under long  sleeved tops. Rule just says wear, not wear on top.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds a very different type of race Phil.

And is that a Datchet rule? You have to wear a vest? Not just any club kit? Sounds pretty stupid. Who does the checking underneath?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I always wore it to XC and relays. I just couldn't do with it at any of the other races. When it was picked up that I didn't wear the vest and people started commenting it coincided with the proposal of a new alternative vest. (New manufacturer and slight change in design)

The Vets at the club were up in arms and saying that such and such would be turning in his grave. Haha. I then had the banter about it being good enough for Ron Hill but not good enough for me. Haha. It all came across as though I had something to do with pushing this new vest through even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I then had the moron calling me a disgrace to the club etc. 

Another factor was the massive bias towards fell running and the Vets. the county road champs are this weekend and i had to prompt them into entering a team. They make a massive song and dance over the two fell relays.

• Any Northern boys doing North West Relays in Lancaster Sunday?

I see club vest as part of race prep along with race shoes and particular socks and shorts then I'm ready to race anything else just feels like training !!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm not. tried to run tonight but the pain in my thighs is still excruciating. Which club do you run for Rob?

Tim, which club have you joined? 

• Matt... Eden runners, my intention was to pop down to Cheshire and race with Wilmslow but its too far.  Stevie's 40 miles is a doddle... More than 100 from here to my old club. 

• Nice race Philip... Did well to hold him off.. I tried to with the guy behind me but wasn't feeling it today. 

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

I always wear a club vest at races, I think it is the general rule. Its not the best vest but hey ho. Best to have a few days downtime if the legs are shot Matt.

Nice to hear Stevie See's been putting some miles down.

I'll probably run a marathon as soon as I get a champs qualification time, no idea when that'll be though.

Is the Norfolk relays getting close Ric?

• Salford Harriers AC but our club is mainly Greater Manchester and I qualify for Cheshire so makes a little difficult in this relay but Northern and National relays will be fine.

Mattl my legs are aching after reading your Ben Nevis race report

Stevie G, Phil and Tim good racing over last week

RicF have a good race at weekend

Dean glad you have decided against London next year and spending another year sharpening those track times,I seem to remember many,many months ago saying you could put some great track times downimage

Bus/Dachs/Joanas/Seb hope you all both training racing well

Stevie See good to see you've got your Mojo back image

I do struggle to keep up with all the goings on so I apologiseif I've missed any significant races or injuries etc.

• I'll have your number Deano! image I'm looking at a spring marathon, think I might enter that ASICS 26.2 challenge RW does each year for Paris. Bit of pie in the sky.

Will have  read back to get a gist of the no doubt excellent running and racing going on. It's just exciting to have the internet back!

Did a cracking tempo session last night 10mins (4 mins) 7.5min (3mins), 5min. All at 5:45 pace.

Rob, I'm doing the northern RR in Blackpool next week. Hopefully I'll make the A team, but a lot of kids have 'graduated' and they're all quicker!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    mattl wrote (see)

I always wore it to XC and relays. I just couldn't do with it at any of the other races. When it was picked up that I didn't wear the vest and people started commenting it coincided with the proposal of a new alternative vest. (New manufacturer and slight change in design)

The Vets at the club were up in arms and saying that such and such would be turning in his grave. Haha. I then had the banter about it being good enough for Ron Hill but not good enough for me. Haha. It all came across as though I had something to do with pushing this new vest through even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I then had the moron calling me a disgrace to the club etc. 

Another factor was the massive bias towards fell running and the Vets. the county road champs are this weekend and i had to prompt them into entering a team. They make a massive song and dance over the two fell relays.

In 1960 Ron Hill resigned from Clayton-Le-Moors Harriers because 'all they seemed to be interested in was running from Working mens Clubs and Fell races.' In his resignation letter he put that 'I was fed up "being in a team of bloody mountain goats".

🙂

• TVXC requires a club vest to score. UKA I'm sure mentions something about club kit.

4 very easy (recovery paced) km. Met with tri club at Bracknell track. Returned last years LD trophy and did their warmup, then went home.

Vests are like running in the rain. Make you feel a proper runner. T-shirts for winter. Vests for summer and any race and/or parkrun (not a race, remember).

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

RicF, I believe he still represents Clayton now. looks like the poor quality vest was still a major pull for him.image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, TVXC requires club kit to score doesn't it, not necessarily the vest? Or do you mean your club especially?

In fairness I always have the vest on, normally with no layer underneath, which seems bonkers when some of those days are so cold it's unreal.

bit tightish pelvis today, suppose it's probably not that surprising with the combo of sunday relay and Wed tempo pace running. 8miles easy today as a single, then that's it until the weekend! Low miles this week

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Iron, TVXC requires club kit to score doesn't it, not necessarily the vest? Or do you mean your club especially?

In fairness I always have the vest on, normally with no layer underneath, which seems bonkers when some of those days are so cold it's unreal.

bit tightish pelvis today, suppose it's probably not that surprising with the combo of sunday relay and Wed tempo pace running. 8miles easy today as a single, then that's it until the weekend! Low miles this week

I sit corrected; you're right SG, club kit is required. Vest it up!

I'm volunteering in London Fri/Sat and that kind of buggers up the weekend's training.

I note I made a horrendous apostrophe based grammatical error in my previous post. Sorry.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

easily done when we zoom posts in at times. At least the correct facility helps, although once someone else posts that's obviously too late!

Marshalling can be a tricky one to fit in. I tend to do the Marlow half each year, quite enjoy it. Last year though I had to fit a long run in on the same morning, so had to sack off my beloved carpark duties (7am start?) , and was lucky my pal got to our marshalling post for the first roll call (9ish?)...meaning i could turn up a bit later. With the race start being 9.30, and us being stationed around 10miles, it'd be over an hour before anyone would come our way, but  just made it more doable.

Unfortunately he's racing it this year, so i'm weighing up whether it'll be quite the same. I must have done it about 4 times now, and he pulled out another year, but I was a club member back then so had the pre and post clubmates chat.

• Come on SG - 2 weeks after Abo, I'll need the cries of  " relentless positivity" even more than usual at the 10M point image

Fed up with getting wet this week! It was novel on Monday, but after several very wet runs and bike rides to work it's quickly losing it's appeal!

7M xc in this morning. Slow and steady. Legs tired rather than painful, so that's good...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seb, my leg of the RNR starts around 7pm on Saturday. Definately a club vest for this one.

Thanks for the encouragement Rob. I'll do my best to represent us older vets.

Latest forecast indicates that I'll be running in ideal temperatures, dry and with a 15mph tailwind. Oh, and the course profile has the first 10 miles slightly downhill.

Only one six mile run left to do and I'm ready. 

🙂

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I sit corrected; you're right SG, club kit is required. Vest it up!

I'm volunteering in London Fri/Sat and that kind of buggers up the weekend's training.

I note I made a horrendous apostrophe based grammatical error in my previous post. Sorry.

I can't find it! Good use of a semi-colon above, though.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Off working down Watford next week. Hopefully a week of steady double days sandwiched round a 12 hour shift. There's a track in Watford isn't there? image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There is Matt, but i'm not sure it's one you can just sneak onto for a session.

Might be worth you getting in touch with Watford AC and inviting yourself to a session or something.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'll look into that. Cheers SG. 

• Rob - we are in the midlands road relays although we might enter a vets team if we get enough interest. so i might be in that.

SS - you're too young for a mara, get your 3k to 10k as low as possible first.image

Matt - the argument that the vest was good enough for ron hill it should be good enough for you is daft....nobody has gone up to Van Persie and made him wear a pair of bobby charltons old boots 

i havent run a step since sunday, been flat sick.  nightmare build up to the GB masters track this weekend!  image just have to take loads of sugar on and fingers crossed.