Kennet and Avon canal race

2»

Comments

• I know.

How long would that take though? I remember once doing a 10k on treadmill and it felt like I was sprinting, and I thought the machine would explode, and I only just dipped under 50 minutes!

• Well I have a little something lined up in December. To do with 12 hours on Treadmill and trying to cover as far as possible. Yes like watching paint dry but if I didn't do it, who would ? image

• I imagine it's a good way to concentrate on form, but I'd take the trails any day, so good luck to you.

How long does 20 miles take, if you don't mind me asking? Longer than if you were outside, right?

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Glue some grass/rocks to the belt, get someone to throw some mud at you every so often and you can have a trailmill!

• No is the quick answer. I'm much faster on the tready than outside. For instance this weekend I done a 20 mile-15 mile back to back. The 20 miles was done at a steady pace and I came in at 3 hours. This was pacing for the K&A, not that I think i'll keep that up for 56 miles image. However on a tready I can do it perhaps15 minutes quicker, no air resistance, pan flat you can really get your pacing sussed plus if you have good technique its just a case of lifting your feet and letting the machine do the work. Its so much easier on my knees etc plus you program in your mm and just go with it. yeah I prefer outside on the trails etc same as anybody but this is just a daft charity thing I said I'd do. Just seeing how close I can get to the WR

• 9 minute miles for a 56 miler is pretty good going.

• Na trust me 9mm for the first 20 miles will be what I am doing then just hanging in there lol I hope to come in around 10 hours but just depends. Nver gone beyond 30 so not sure what to expect. I thought if I go out moderately fast and cover a chunk because I am going to hurt later regardless thats probably not the best strategy image

• Cheers buddy I think ill need it image

• Just keep moving, and you'll be okay.

• Not long now...

Looks like i'm definately up for it now as my injuries have cleared! Whether i've managed to get up to speed or not i guess i'll find out on the day!?!

Hope everyone's ready and raring to go...?

• Had a bit of a toe injury and managed to get that cleared up. Havent run for 2 weeks though so hopefully will be fresh! Looking forward to it now we have some more details on water stations etc on the website I am justplaying around with what I am going to carry etc

• How'd ya get on Vicar? Was perfect weather conditions for a long run!

I enjoyed it up to about 43-44 then it was long slow run walk drag to the end. Injuries were fine but the missed training because of them really showed after 40.

i finished in time for my train too which was a bonus! All in all gotta be happy, a finish, no injury reoccurrences, and bang on my predicted time image

• Good to hear buddy. Finished in just under 12 image I really really enjoyed it. But the miles passed so so slowly towards the end. I did manage to run from 35 to 45 miles but walked 5 to 50 and jogged the rest in. Its amazing because it felt like I was screaming along but was only doing 13 minute miles towards the end. Today I cant actually walk and it still hasnt sunk in. But for all the bad things said on here I thought it was well organised in a nice casual kind of way which is what I like. I didn't really have a bad word to say

• Nor me, it's a small, friendly, flat n easy to navigate race. Just what I expected. They were great at the end. Bag was waiting, t-shirt, medal, photo, and lots of food goodies.

well done on the finish! Job done!!

• Hope you're recovering well vicar? my legs are still a little sore but getting round ok today!

For anyone else considering this for next year... def give it a go! It's very achievable, flat, easy to navigate. The only thing it was missing was a few more runners! So get on it people...

• Today I am much better than yesterday! But still cant get up and down without a bit of effort. I agree I would have like a few more runners to latch on to. I chatted with a chap called Tim for the first 10 miles then didn't speak to anybody else until the end. i just think I would have been pulled a long a bit quicker with a few more runners.  It's a shame really because it's a really nice little race with some cracking scenery and history

• I ran the 56 on Saturday. I thought it was a tremendous event, lovely course, scenic and easy to navigate, the few bridge transitions were marked with temporary spray markings. We were very lucky with the weather. It is certainly very low key but the manned checkpoints were friendly, informative and supportive and the unmanned water stops worked fine. There weren't a huge amount of runners, the event deserves to grow whilst keeping its informal appeal. It's nice to do a big city race with all the razzmatazz once in a while but on the whole I prefer the informal nature of these sort of events. The course is a mixture of hard towpath and grassy/track sections, there was a bit of mud here and there after the heavy rain in the week but it was never unrunnable. You can do a decent time on this course. It was great to run with someone else for the last 20 miles or so, we kept each other going - thanks Alex. You have to be a bit self sufficient and independent to do an event like this but that's part of the appeal of ultra running to me. Big thanks to the organisers, marshalls and volunteers.

• Couldn't agree more! I emailled Rob the RD back with abit of feedback too. And it's a perfect, beginner friendly introduction to doing longer events if that's where you're heading!

• Yeah I emailed him just to say thanks and got a nice email back. I hope it does grow and attracts more runners. Just signed up to a nice little 30 miler next month.....here we go again image

• I 'only' did the 21 miler and have to agree with the comments above. I loved every minute of this. It was the perfect way for me to get my longest run in before Chester next month. I would like to run this again next year and will encourage others too as well. It is low-key and all the better for it. It was great to see Calne running club manning the aid station at mile 14. Fellow runners were friendly before and after. Virtually everyone you passed on route said hello and gave encouragement. And it was something of a relief when the race director phoned me as I was making my way home after the finish to let me know I'd left my bag behind.

I hope they give it another go next year.