Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Emmy for the notes and links...and enjoying everyone's posts. I did a 7 yesterday heavy legs today and I have a 13 tomorrow.

Re Runners Tracking App..any thoughts/comments from previous years Runners to how accurate it is (signal good??)

• Taper madness indeed.

I've still no idea what pace to run at on the day! ,was originally going to treat it as a training run, but training has been going well and feeling strong on the long runs. Was out injured for nearly 3 months Feb, March & April with a calf issue. Very tempted to try for a sub 4 but probably wouldn't end well, so maybe go out at 4:15 pace would be more sensible. Also wary that I have Snowdon Mara 4 weeks after Berlin so don't want to be too broken image  ... & save the sub 4 for London 2014 (deferred my place from this year)

Did I just answer my own question in that little ramble ?!?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

KK - I think you did image Sounds like a sensible plan! I may be with you for the 4.15 pace!

EHN - What pace did you do your 7 miles at? Is today a rest day?

I've not heard anything about the app - so would also be interested in hearing about it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ok - I may be a little late on the uptake here... but just read the newsletter in detail.

Did anyone else see the HUGE price increase for Berlin next year?

"The 41st BMW BERLIN MARATHON will take place on September 27-28, 2014. New: The organisational fee for everyone—runners, wheelchair competitors and hand cyclists alike—will be 98 Euros."

I'm very glad that i'll be running it this year!

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Hi Emmy -I ran on average 10mins miles and at the time felt great/like a trot(had company and let my fellow runner set the pace..which I was very grateful for ..company and pace!!) . Today I was going to a 30mins spinning followed by some Abs exercises-but will now rest.

This is yesterdays email (see appendix 5 and App can also be found on the 'Service' page of the SCC Website)

NEWSLETTER FROM 11.09.2013

ONLY 18 DAYS UNTIL THE 40TH BMW BERLIN MARATHON ===============================================

Time is flying by like the wind. Only 18 more days until the starting shot for the 40th BMW BERLIN MARATHON

(www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/) is fired at 8:45 am on September 29, on the grand boulevard, Straße des 17. Juni. For this week’s training it would be a good idea to get a feel for the marathon pace (see our training tip below). For anyone who, for whatever reason, was not able to train as planned over the past 2-3 weeks, please heed this advice:

stay calm and don’t try to make up for the missed training by overtraining

—that can easily backfire.

CONTENTS

--------

1. Several new changes at the 40th BMW BERLIN MARATHON 2. Hello, I am Fridolin Flink

– the official mascot for SCC EVENTS!

3. What`s your guess? An adidas promotion 4. The shopping marathon has begun 5. TCS App for BMW BERLIN MARATHON 6. During training: Effective recovery with ERDINGER Alkoholfrei 7. Block of hotel rooms are reserved

1. SEVERAL NEW CHANGES AT THE 40TH BMW BERLIN MARATHON

------------------------------------------------------

There will be a few new changes at the 40th BMW BERLIN MARATHON. In addition to moving the starting time up to 8:45 am, every participant must now pick up his or her own race materials in person (with an ID), and there will be new controls in the event area (start/finish area).

All of the changes can be found here:

http://mailings.scc-events.com/c/12075482/ec9067e98417-msyzn6

2. HELLO, I AM FRIDOLIN FLINK

– THE OFFICIAL MASCOT FOR SCC EVENTS!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve already completed my first few days of work, and I am now really looking forward to getting to know you all in person! I’ll be fittingly making my first public appearance at the 40th anniversary BMW BERLIN MARATHON. Despite my impressive height of 2.25m, I am really a nice and friendly guy, who likes to play around with kids and adults, and most of all, to enthusiastically motivate all athletes and spectators. Even if some people say I may be a little bit impertinent, I always help everyone to have a good time. If you want to find out more about me, keep your eyes and ears open and stop by my Facebook page and say hi!

http://mailings.scc-events.com/c/12075483/ec9067e98417-msyzn6 !

I am looking forward to meeting you all, Your friend, Frido

3. WHAT DO YOU GUESS?

---------------------

A MESSAGE FROM ADIDAS: At a marathon everybody runs for himself, but we all have the same opponent - the time. Some have the goal to stay below 5 h, others are aiming to finish below 3 h 30. But which runner predicts his race time the most adequately? At the marathon expo and on

http://mailings.scc-events.com/c/12075554/ec9067e98417-msyzn6

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    jasonreid7 wrote (see)

looking at doing a final 16/18 this sunday, as i missed it last weekend due to a cold...hoping a 2 week taper is sufficient at this stage!

Jason - be careful knocking out a 16/18 miler so close to race day. It's better to be undertrained and rested than overtrained and exhausted. Have you ever done a 2 week taper before?

Iain - I find that using compeed annoys me more than the blister itself! image

emmy - thanks for the advice, always glad to hear from those who have been there and done it!  i havnt done a 2 week taper before, i have only done 3 weeks, but end up feeling quite sluggish at the start of the marathon, and never end up running even the first 20 as good as my 20 in training - i always wondered if this was due to nutrition, nerves, pace or the fact the taper was too long and so i had lost conditioning or maybe the taper was too short and i hadnt properly recovered...taper madness as they call it is setting in!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jason - It all depends how comfortable you are with trying something new. If Berlin isn't "that" important - give it a go and just make sure that you have adequate recovery in the last two weeks. If it's important - then consider dropping down to a 14-15 miler and then reduce it further next week. I'd always consider playing around with things because it's the only way that i'll learn what works for me....but this is me - I run a marathon nearly every weekend image so if a race goes bad - I cant dwell on it for too long.

The mental issues behind marathoning are so unique to each runner that it can be a mixture of EVERYTHING. I remember my first 20 in the marathon feeling awful and nothing like training because I was swerving so much around the other runners that I was wasting so much energy. I didnt realise this until my second marathon where it was a smaller marathon and I could get into my pace quicker and not be swept around by the other runners.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Gosh no I didn't read it in detail and hence increase price/ballott ..it may need to be very special indeed for me to enter again and I'll just be a spectator to my husband who has 30E entry fee (due to him pulling out of this year).

• Just noticed on in the participant brochure it mentions:

"All runners who are participating in their first marathon will be in the last block"

I ask because this is my first marathon, but don't want to be in the last wave image I just PBd my half marathon time with 1,34 at the weekend, and am hoping for a 3,25 race.

Good luck with everybodys tapering/training, I've had a nasty cold this week, so been out of action - hopefully getting all illness out of the way before the big day!

• dkazxp - hope I spelled your name correctlyimage

Emmy enquired about changing pens - as she'd PBd since entering - and she got a polite 'tough' in return.

I think that the wrist band you are given at the expo will have your pen on it and you won't be able to change it.

Mystic Meg moment - I predict a lot of weaving in your future. 

EHN - if the app is anything like the Paris app, it only updates when you go over timing mats - so it won't be using the GPS from your phone. As a runner, it won't be much use but supporters can keep an eye on your progress and you'll be able to check up on other runners once you've finished.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Orbutt-notedimage

• Orbutt wrote (see)
    spitfire51 wrote (see)

Good point Emmy....I have been reading about taper (total noob, my second race ever!!); and as you said it is important to slow down and not get yourself injuried.

I will be trying today on my 5m run a waist bag - Karrimor Raid5 (quite comfy I must say). I hope this will enable me to carry all gels required.

I think I also need to get myself psychologic together, as I am starting to get a bit anxious too soon and without reason....

You're actually going through taper madness and you're not even tapering image

To give you an idea, On Sunday I'll be doing 12 miles and the following Sunday I'll be doing 8.

Keep your intensity up but reduce your mileage.

P&D recommend a 3 week week taper reducing your mileage in week 3 by 25%, week 2 by 40% and week 1 by 60%

Emmy - thanks for the links, I'll have a nose

Hi Orbutt, I am doing the same (following Hal Higdon Novice training).

I might have missed in this thread, but are you guys meeting up before the start of the race?

• Just joining in because I am doing Berlin in a couple of weeks and desperate for a GFA...except ITB playing up since a 22 miler 2 weeks ago. Did Yasso 800s this morning and that felt ok. Weirdly the knee feels ok in fast running and only plays up on LSRs....so, what's the possiblility of running all my miles on the Big Day as a mix of threshold and recovery, so that they even out at 9m/m (that'd be a GFA for a woman of my age...) Anyone out there ever done that?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Spitfire - I think that we're planning on dinner on saturday night? I could be wrong and getting my days mixed up image

dkazxp - You can always contact the organisers if you can prove that you'll be fast and "worthy" of it. I know that for the championship place (sub 3) you need to prove it with a suitably fast time and I think it was sub 90min for a half but I could be wrong. To be honest - i'd prefer for you to move up than pushing and swerving past me on the day.

By the way - Orbutt is right. I did ask about moving pens but was told that it wasn't a good enough PB to mark moving to another pen.

• Hi All

Jumping in with a question thats probably answered already somewhere in the 67 pages for this topic. But does anyone know if there will be official (or other) pacers for the marathon?

• Spitfire - I think there will be a photo op at the Brandenburg Gate on the mornig of the run. Just 5 minutes to say hi before heading into the pens. Time TBA

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jason,

All information can be found here: http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/event/participant-brochure.html Page 9.

Pacers are at:

• 3hrs
    • 4hrs
  • Hi again, so as this is my first marathon and got so many questions hehe.. But, most thing i'm worried about is blisters on the day. I've bought those compad blister thingys and they kind of work, but feel they might fall off..  Does anyone else have some other tips? Heard there are special blisters socks..?  

Thanks!

A

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Annika - What have you been using in training? There are blister socks available but you need to see what works for you in training.

An example: I use 1000 mile socks and never have an issue with blisters. You also need to take a look at your trainers - are they OK? Are they the right size? If your shoes are too big/too small they can also cause blisters.

Lots of people apply vaseline/compeed before runs to avoid blisters appearing - why not give that a go?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Annika - also - do you have any issues with blisters? If you dont - why are you worrying about blisters on the day? image

• Thanks Emmy Himage Oh yeah, basically when i started out traiing I had these old shoes, which I think caused some blistering whenever I did a run. And then when I got new running shoes it got much better but when  I do my longer runs now, I do tend to get blisters anyways.. 

Might check out those socks+blisters compads+vaseline- that should do the trick, I hope.. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Annika - the only thing i can recommend is that whatever you're trying - try it first on a training run. There's nothing worse that doing something new on race day and having to deal with it and risking your race.

• Annika, just do an Emmy H: got to respect this fellow runner

Emmy H wrote (see)

Spitfire - Try them on your long runs and see if it works. I think if they help with the blisters - then use them. Personally I go au-natural and if they burst then i've got something else to think aboutimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Spitfire - I think Orbutt and Iain can attest that i'm definitely not a normal runnerimage but I do test out everything in training before hand... and for me - a marathon is a good training run!

I agree though - for me - I like the added distraction image This is my default song during a marathon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Sq4n4kt2k and after 3 hrs... it can get a little dull

• Emmy is not normal, she is Superhuman. 

Which LSR are you doing this weekend, Emmy?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - taking it easy this weekend image

Saturday: 26km trail race with the dog if the weather stays cool otherwise i'll be running alone. Hoping that he can do the race as he loves trails and being the centre of attention.

Sunday: in flanders field marathon in belgium... but its flat image 10am start but im picking up a 100clubber from brussels so an early wake up to run the dog before leaving and then head to the start.

• Spot on Orbutt, she is probably in Charles Darwin books......

• My doubts increase day after day , about tapering , about nutrition , the breakfast, using gels , almost everything image  and a new one i wasn´t expecting , Massage.

I booked a massage thinking that it would be after the race , but today i got an email to choose my massage time at the Expo.

I´ve never had a massage  but i´ve read that it has to be taken several days before race .

so i wonder if it will be a positive thing or not , i would take it on friday afternoon ..,

Any advice ?

Thank you

• Imanol - relax. If you don't have doubts at this point then there's something wrong with you ;o)

I'm pretty sure that the massage available at the expo will not be the same as a full, deep sports massage. A proper sports massage can leave you feeling bruised and battered and needs to be taken about 2 weeks before the event.

What you are being offered will be a nice relaxing muscle massage. If you watch any of the big athletic events, you will sometimes see the elite athletes - like Bolt or Farah - on a massage table in the hours before a race. You will be getting that type of massage. Enjoy image 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Imanol - completely agree with Orbutt here. They wont give you a full blown sports massage so close. It'll be one to relax you.