blood in mouth

Hi all. I'm a begginer. Please be gentle :P

I've been running for 1 month now. I am currently doing 5km with a pace of about 5:30 min / km. Seems good to me, as I weight more than 100kg (I am 189cm tall).
But a strange thing happened to me the other day - I was running really hard (was trying to catch 5:00min/km mark for the first time) and after I finnished running I had this strange taste of blood in my mouth. I spitted, but there was no visible blood on the floor. I've googled around and read a bit. So was it possible that I was really overdoing myself? Is this good or bad? But to achieve better results I must push myself to the limit (over the limit)?

What do you think?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You are running too fast for someone who has only been running a month.

You should be running at an easy pace to build up your fitness.

Have a look for a couch to 5k plan and start with that.
  • Yes, but I feel quite confident when I run at 5:30/km pace. I mean, I struggle a bit, but it's not like I will just collapse.
    So what do you suggest - should I continue to run at 5:30/km 'till I am very confident to run at such pace and then "move on"?
    Thanks

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Run at a pace where you are not struggling and gradually build up the distance.

How far can you run at the moment?
  • At the moment I can go for a 5km run every second day. But I'm sure I could run 6-7km at once. Haven't tried yet, actually.
    My current best time for 5km is 27:35

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It seems like you're treating every run as a race or time trial which I'm afraid is likely to result in you getting injured.  Speedwork is the thing you add last into a training programme.  You need to build up an endurance base first and to shorten the time at which you are able to recover from training runs - speed will come later. Perhaps target an actual 5K race every now and then?

Don't think the blood thing is an issue.  It's not running related as far as I know. Blood in your urine might be.  Perhaps you bit your tongue?

All the best and welcome to the world of running.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Most of my running is done at the pace you are doing yours at and my 5k time is 19 mins. I know plenty of others who have 5k times at 17.xx and 18.xx who will run at your training paces. Take it easy and build up. If your 5k best is 27 min thats roughly 9 minute mile pace. Your training should be much slower than that on the whole.

As for the blood taste, this article might help-

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417325-why-does-my-mouth-taste-like-blood-after-i-exercise/

• Thanks all for your comments. Yes, I best thing is to "go slowly" and build up endurance.

But endurance training and training for speed is not the same, is it?
    Can I improve my speed (time) just by running for endurance? (I hope you get what I mean)

• What's your goal jbobnik - to run a fast 5K? to lose weight? Some sort of bleep test?

I'm just wondering why you feel the need to go faster when you're just starting out. You need to build up to everything whether that's speed or endurance, otherwise you will get injured.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    To get really fast you will need to do speed work bit you do need to put down the foundations of a good aerobic base first and then build on it.

I had done 2 marathons before I started to do any speed work. And even now a maximum of 20 out of 60 miles a week are at marathon pace or faster and only about 4 or 5 of those are any where near 5k pace.

What is your current training plan like?

What are you trying to achieve?
  • I have no special goal (for this year). I just want to improve my 5k time. But I need to build basics first, I agree.

Next year, I will put my plans a bit higher.

• I read that the taste of blood comes from bursting tiny blood vessels in your lungs as you work hard, all part of the process of getting fitter.

Didn't go on however to say if it was a good or bad thing.