Hydration worries

I have a congenital kidney issue that means that I don't process uric acid very well. I've suffered from this since I was in my 20's and it seems to effect the male side of my family.  As a result I can experience gout attacks, mainly in the big tow but sometimes my knees or ankles.

Under normal circumstances I know how to handle this. I don't drink alcohol very often and if I do then I have to avoid real ale and wheat beers (nighrmare for a camra member!). I don't eat any of the high purine trigger foods other that oats and I drink about 4 litres of water a day, even if I'm just sat at my desk.

Anyway, as part of building up to Wimbleball and Bolton next year I've upped my cycling and running.  As a result I have started to regularly get twinges in my toe. This is my alarm bell that I'm getting dehydrated and am going to be in trouble. 

At the moment it is hurting quite a lot as I did 2 22km rides on Friday then 28km on Saturday.  On each of those rides I drank 500ml of electrolyte drink.

I know I need to keep hydrated and more than the average bear but I'm starting to worry that before I get to the end of Wimbleball or Bolton I'm gonna be crippled by my own body not coping.

I've been looking at one of the speedfil systems that people have mentioned, I guess that might solve the problem and I have time to work out a strategy.

Does anyone here have any similar issues?  I probably need to go and have a chat with the doctor, in the past he has suggested some drugs but they are the sort that once you start them you cannot stop them as it will cause a problem and I'd rather not go down that road just yet.

Comments

• I see your post has had several view and no responses so I'll stick my neck on the line with the usual caveats of a) I'm no Dr and B) I know nothing about gout.

However could you not use 750ml bottles instead to up you intake? Also some nutritionists now query whether electrolytes do any good at all and argue you are better off with just water. Presuming your daily 4 litres is plain water might it be worth trying that?

I'd say find out how far apart the aid stations are at your races and then work out from that how many bottle holders you'll need on your bike. With frame, handle bar and seat holders you can get a lot of drink on 1 normal bike.

Hopefully we have more knowledgeable people to give you better answers but that was my first thought.

• Thanks, yeah, I suspect it is just a case of drink more and carry more.

Interesting about the electrolytes, I'd not seen that.  I shall have to have a look.

• As a non doc but experienced goutoucher (I just invented a new word), check out montmorency cherries. Apparently known natural gout combatant and you can get it in handy drink sized concentrate. I always drop one into any 750/800 ml bottle on the bike and it certainly doesn't hurt, it even makes the drink vaguely palatable.

Personally, I use Nuun electrolyte tablets in it as well. But you do seem to need a higher level of hydration that some others.

In terms of consumption, I find a single 800ml bottle lasts about 25 miles dependent upon weather so a brace should just about get you through a half distance. If you need to drop a tank, you can always get another or just get it refuelled at an aid station. If you need an extra bottle, you can get a brace on a rear mounted saddle frame, plus another 750ml on a Profile Design aero bar set. That's nearly 2.5 litres (and therefore 2.5 kilos to haul around) in total.

That is options to the extreme, you should be able to practice and find one that works for you.

Hope that helps.

• Can you ask your GP or ask them to refer you to a dr who does sports medicine?  If it causes you pain you really do need the experts to help you.  No point doing a cracking race and being in too much pain to enjoy the moment image

• Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks folks.

• The only thing that I can think of maybe is a Camelbak, something like the Octane XCT is 2.5 - 3 litres with pouches for food etc.  Its mainly designed for ultra marathons/adventure racing but I plan to use mine on the run phase of IM Lanza next year and dont think it would be too intrusive on the bike.  Also having looked into some of the other stuff (carbon etc) that you can put on your bike its quite affordable in comparison and has other uses instead of just being for the bike.