Oxford Half Marathon 2013

Looking to enter this as its my local half and after VLM last week I'm now focusing on getting a new a half mara PB. Anyone else thinking of entering?

Comments

• Just entered. Not run a half for a while as been concentrating on getting 10k times down.  Looking forward to it though!

• Hi Clare, what times are you running for 10k then? 

• I have an entry for the Oxford Half this year, which I'm not able to use. Would anyone be interested in taking it?

• I have just registered....what a shame I did not see your message first! Any info on the course from anyone who has run it before? Easy? Fast? User friendly?

• Good friendly course.  I found it to be easy apart from, I think mile 11, the steady incline to the finish, only tough because I did not train properly and was tired.  Slow in parts where the route narrowed and difficult to pass others.  It was a bit boring in the beginning going out past the mini plant.  However parts were very nice to run through and the atmosphere was great.  One BIG tip though is get to the bag storage EARLY the queue was horrendous and people were late for the start and at the end had to wait ages as again the queue was hideous.  Hopefully they have sorted this for you this year.

Would I do this again, definitely, just would take as little as possible so no baggage storage needed or a spectator to hold everything image.  I would say it is a good beginner friendly course.

• Thanks Paula. Will bear the storage issue in mind.

• If you are lucky and get a parking pass for the stadium you could use your car, just another thought. 

• HELP!! I have registered using the online registration system here on RW. I was told by RW to contact the event organiser to get all the details and race number and other stuff from them! I have written to them using their online contact number 2 days ago but I have not had a reply yet. So how will they know I have registered and that I need all the stuff required and needed for me to run on the day!!

• Veronique, your name is on the list of participants so I wouldn't worry! http://www.racetimingsystems.net/Event/Participants.aspx?Id=1357

however, my wife's name is not there yet!

• Not sure veronique, I received a confirmation email from runners world when I entered.  I assume the race number and chip etc will be posted out to runners nearer the time which is what normally happens, unless they get you to pick them up at the start.  I'd be surprised if this was the case though due to numbers.

assume there are places left then as my brother wants to join now.

• Has anyone got a link to the route (so I can get friends to be at strategic places!)

(The official website keeps going all weird!)

Thanks

• try this: http://www.likesportsevents.com/clients/ohm/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/map-WEBpdf.pdf

Last year it was quite shambolic organisation-wise, although the run itself was fine. Traffic getting into and out of the Kassam stadium was a nightmare and this year I'm leaving LOTS of time. Baggage etc was very chaotic last year and I hope that they sort it out this year. If you have friends supporting you, make sure they know that they will not be able to get back into the Kassam by car if they leave to go watch you during the race. I got caught by this last year and got stuck without clothing or water for over a hour after the race as they tried to get back and find me.

• I ran this the first year it was held and everything seemed to go smoothly enough.

Last year I followed my brothers progress which involved getting to 4 different parts of the course.  The main problems I saw were the baggage area which seemed unable to cope with the numbers, and the car parking arrangments.   Nothing too serious.

hopefully they'll have solved those problems this year .

Finishing in the Kassam stadium , home to the mighty Oxford utd,  is a treat

worth a medal in it's own right.

• Thank you both. I was intending on asking my husband to hold my stuff, so that's OK and wanted to ask other friends to just be at other places, and not necessarily at the Kassam so I'll probably be fine with that too. The link to the route worked so thank you, I can organise that.

This is my first Half Marathon, so am really excited, I live in Banbury, so wanted one not too far from home so I didn't have to worry about how to get there. I'll leave in plenty of time now though (my husband'll be really pleased at having to get up so early!!)

• That's the spirit Paula,  

you'll surely enjoy yourself  so don't worry. 

I live just up the road from the start  which is on one half of a dual carriageway

so it's perfect for a mass start.  Just tuck yourself in somewhere bright and have a great day.image

• Hi all, I am told that they have sorted out the nightmare baggage pick-up problem that they had last year. It was indeed the worst I have ever seen so lets trust them but if they get it wrong this year then I fear they will lose a lot of runners.

Its a great course and stadium finish. If the weather holds it will be a great day. 

Also if you are interested watch out for the pacers who are from Intelligent Running. I am pacing the 2 hour group so anyone who wants to run it in 1:59imageomething, please join me on the start line for a great run and a PB. And lots of fun on the way!

• Hello everyone I am also running this and it will be my first half marathon, very excited! Bedders is there a pace maker for under 1.50 as well and if so are the pacers easy to spot? Cheers

• Any one know if there is a bus that goes to Kassam stadium from headington?

• Scott Pulley wrote (see)

Hello everyone I am also running this and it will be my first half marathon, very excited! Bedders is there a pace maker for under 1.50 as well and if so are the pacers easy to spot? Cheers

Yes there are pacemakers at 5 min intervals from 1:30 to around 2:30. we were easy to spot last year as we have the time written large on our backs and carry either a flag or balloon with the time on it. See you on the start line    

• Ah that is very helpful, will be on the look out for them. Cheers for the help. See you there!

• I'm doing it this year also. Enjoyed it last year and luckily I didn't have any bags to store so avoided all that malarky. The middle part of the race is the most scenic, going down Iffley Road and through Christchurch meadows before a long stint along the Thames Path. Bus wise from Headington its probably best to get a bus down to St Clements, and then hop on the number 1 or 5 from Cowley Road as that ends up near the stadium. 

• Hi there,

I have been unable to register for the Oxford Halfie online using the official website. I now see the race registration is closed online on the race timing systems website. Does anyone know if I am able to still register or have I left it too late?

Many thanks in advance image

• Might be worth emailing info@oxfordhalfmarathon.com Emilie, telling them the issues you had and they might be able to advise you on how to go about running. Not sure if they can do anything but worth checking.

• Gutted, I am totally useless and have missed registration.  image  If anyone has an entry that they can no longer use I would really like the chance to run this. My brother has just moved to Oxfors and it's conveniently two weeks before my marathon. Thanks.

• pottermoss wrote (see)

Gutted, I am totally useless and have missed registration.  image  If anyone has an entry that they can no longer use I would really like the chance to run this. My brother has just moved to Oxfors and it's conveniently two weeks before my marathon. Thanks.

I may be able to help. Please PM me. 

• Looking forward to running this. Does anyone know if there are sports drinks available at the, ahem, water stations?

• Got my number today. There's absolutely no information included with it for race day, just a sponsor form, parking permit, and a timing chip the likes of which I've never seen before. I don't even know how to use this sort of chip so, at the very least, I need instructions for that. Also need info about how far the car park is from the start. But there's none of this information!

Anyone else got their's, and did you get an information pack?
  • According to their FB update, information packs including instructions will be emailed to all participants in the next 24 hours.  The timing chip they say ties around your shoelaces....hope that helps.

• Hello fishyweb.  Got my pack today and like you thought it was strange there was no instructions.  Just checked the website / facebook page and they say they will email / post on website full instructions within 24 hours.  My parking is at mini plant which seems to be about 1.5 miles from start.....looks like a lengthy warm up and cool down in store ! 

• Ok, thanks both. Have a great race image