Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Grendel, compression clothing is tight fitting clothing that claims to reduce fatigue, improve circulation (i agree with that claim) and aid recovery as well as improving performance (unsure about that!). it fits snug,keps you warm and i paid £15 for a more mile one, basically a tenner less than a helly hansen baselayer. As far as im aware all baselayers do is keep you warmer (guess the clues in the name). I love wearing mine and can confirm you wont overheat in one either. Lots of elite (and normal) runners wear co.pression stuff post run as they reckon it aids recovery. 

• Am seriously temped to look at some compression tights as i do suffer a bit with my calves. 

Congrats by the way B2B...drums are best!image

• Grendel, compression clothing is tight fitting clothing that claims to reduce fatigue, improve circulation (i agree with that claim) and aid recovery as well as improving performance (unsure about that!). it fits snug,keps you warm and i paid £15 for a more mile one, basically a tenner less than a helly hansen baselayer. As far as im aware all baselayers do is keep you warmer (guess the clues in the name). I love wearing mine and can confirm you wont overheat in one either. Lots of elite (and normal) runners wear co.pression stuff post run as they reckon it aids recovery. 

• Am seriously temped to look at some compression tights as i do suffer a bit with my calves. 

Congrats by the way B2B...drums are best!!!

330, I also have a Helly Hansen job, its snug but not the same as my compression top, the material is much different. The compression top is almost like a thin wetsuit and almost as tough to remove when wet!

• JR - Thanks! regarding the calf guards I have these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/compressport-r2-race-recovery-calf-guard/

I would say better than getting the tights as you could still use these with shorts image

• I was planning on wearing shorts over the tights B2B, to ahem.....protect my modestyimage.Will check out the link...thanks 

• I do the same so as not to, show we say "highlight the situation" image

Have a read of this peeps, its a little wordy but stick with it. Very very interesting subject that I am looking into at the moment.

Rough outline is its about Metabolic efficiency, switching you body to work off of fat instead of carbs.

http://www.cycleops.com/en/training/training-resources/252-metabolic-efficiency-training-clearing-up-the-confusion.html

• Think the calf guards may be a little out of my price range B2B.....have found some compression tights for £20. Tempting at that price.

• JR - what site you find those on ?

B2B gonna have a look at that link I definetly could do with burning fat !!

Well, 3.31 for me tonight average 9.20 miles. Running around a min quicker than before I went away and was doing higher mileage.

To be honest I think that I moved up to 12 miles to quick and was sacrificing improved times for more miles, I think I was trying to prove to myself I could do 12 miles. Now I have done it think I will move up the miles slowe. First half March/April so plenty of time

• Can't get that link to work B2B? 

Here you go 330..... £17.95 http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=41920&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=31

Good man on getting out tonight.

• I was seriously looking at these this morning. 

• Think of the two the link JR supplied are better

The one from your link Kev do look very like a base layers and a bit revealing !! Me running in them would definatly scare the woman and children !!

• Hey peeps.

JR - yeah a little pricy but sooo worth it! The advantage of having the calf guards on their own is that you can use them all year round, I even sleep in mine after a long run. image

oh the link works from here, lets try again...

Metabolic efficiency link

If that doesnt work again search for Metabolic efficiency and its from cycleops.com an artical called Metabolic efficiency training: clearing up the confusion

Went out for a nice slow one last night and ended up missing my PB by only 7 minutes!!! Averaged a 10:30mm which again was a surprise for a hilly(ish) 10 miles! 

2013 - 521.1

Milo - 273.59

• Well done all - anything tight or with compression in the title is a no no I think!!!!  Will stick with baggy(ish) stuff on top and my Ron Hill Tracksters - (the best bit f kit ever invented and still going strong after 16 years!!!!

a very gentle six this monring and I don't think I was ever more than 0.5 of a mile from my front door just running up and down various side roads -  

• ok I havnt finished reading it yet but here is another take on the same subject..

http://www.eat4fitness.com/articles/Metabolic_Efficiency_Training.pdf

• hmm just finished it. Very very interesting! I have been kind of doing this without knowing what I was doing! Well apart from the diet part. No wonder I have dropped a stone over the last year!

• 45 minute spin done at lunch...5k with mummysaurus tonight image

• B2B will give that aread

3.31 for me tonight averaging 9 min miles - fastest this year

Sept - 19.86

2013 - 315.88

• Kevin, those tights look good to me, especially at the price. Free delivery too and overall highly rated (135 ratings, 4.5/5). The ones I found are another £3 on top with delivery so very closely matched on price but no ratings? I have a couple of More Mile items and you get what you pay for with them, they are cheap and feel it although they do a job. I'm tempted to go with the sub ones but will be wearing a pair of shorts over the top for sure, even in the dark!!!

• JR agree on the tights

But they are described as a base layer. I presume will do the job with shorts though. Tempted to try the compression stuff seem to have good reviews

• 3.1 soggy miles with mummysaurus last night then started my new addition to my day.... a 1 minute plank image

2013 - 524.2

Milo - 276.69

• 6 miles fartlek this morning - with less than a minute recovery - did 0.55 miles for first one,  half mile for  the second one .75 for the third 4th and 5th and then did 1.47 miles for the last not sure of pacing but it felt OK although the last 1.47 was into a head wind and I was glad to stop!!!!

I know we have said before on here that an early morning run really sets you up for the day - but I am absolutely shattered now!!! Happy Days.

• Grendel - nice one mate !!

B2B I like running in the rain

• JR,

I ordered myself a pair to try at that price,them ratings and the excellent feed back from previous buyers got to be worth a try.

WK6-R2 completedimage

• Let me know what theyre like Kev image

330, I reckon if they keep you, and more importantly your muscles warm theyre worth a gamble. Will await Kevs review. 

• JR yup !!

Kevin you are now the SAFTB thread reviewer !!, and well done on completing R2

• Grendel - you find out about Halstead Marathon, you entered yet ?

I want to book something give me an insentive but none of the halfs I am aiming for will sell out anyway but its nice to have a goal with a confirmed place !!

Marathon wise I am looking at 2015, either London or Edinburgh (total total dream is Loch Ness but its quite a toughie hills wise) But have to be honest and say will see how I feel after a couple of halfs at least first

• 330 - go for Loch Ness! If its one you really really want to do then just go for it! image Hills are only tough if you dont train for them image 

• 330 - Not sure about Halstead now, the race is the 11th May the day before my Dad's 80th birthday. My Aunt (his sister) and two (or 3 not sure yet) cousins are coming over from Canada for a celebration and I have no idea yet what is happening in terms of celebration - It is likely to be on the Saturday so not so much of a problem my marathon PB - (yes the 2:41) was set the day after my Sister's wedding so I literally went to that and the reception, home about 12 then up again at 5 to travel back into London - so I suppose it is do able.

Another 6 miles crossed off the list this morning very gentle after yesterdays efforts.  Building up to a 15 Saturday morning - am planning to start around 4:30 if the cat wakes me around that time. Will see.

• Tight schedule for that Grendel - if you decide to not do it then no big deal I suppose lots of esily reachable marathons down South, fancy Brighton heard that's good

B2B to be honest I don't want to do Loch Ness without having made my marathon comeback at least once. Loch Ness is quite a trip and overnight stay probably so want to make sure I am ready

As of today my plan is - if I get into London next year will postpone until 2015 - if I don't get it then will consider Edinburgh then if feeling really good maybe think of doing Loch Ness in same year.

This talk coming from a man running 3.31 miles at the moment !! lol !