Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• Forgot that I lived in Berkshire for 7 years.  Got married in Bracknell, but we try to forget that bit...

• Oh dear what a sad coincidence we were also married in 'lovely' Bracknell & still live here, & all the time I keep saying we'll leave & I've been here all my life, almost ... apart from a spell in the R.A.F. 

It can only get better, can't it ???

• Goalpost   I see your in Sw London , where do you train , I am in Twickenham do all my training in Bushy Park and the longer runs I take in Richmond Park also. Feel privileged to have such good running conditions.

just got back from a 22 mile run , glad that's over, will do a 20 next week. , then an 18 three weeks out , I like a 4 week taper these days .

how did everyone else go with their long runs this weekend?

• Dean - you must feel like you can start winding down with your longest run in the bag.

My long runs take in the Thames Path anywhere between Kingston and Putney and incorporate Richmond Park and often run through Wimbledon Common to get there as I live near Wimbledon. Plenty of choices and the option of a flat route along the Thames or the hillier option of the col de Richmond Park with the Tour de France wannabies.

• oh dear all this talk of long runs at the weekend and all i managed was 6.2 miles!!!!!

I had a 10k seafront run on sunday against a howling gale image - A dissapointing 41 min, until i realised only about 8 people managed sub 40 mins which made me feel better!!!

I will promise to get a long one in next weekend (when i say long I mean 14 miles)

Well done everyone on the long runs.

PS - last year i did most of my running in Bracknell, Swinley Forest and Virginia Waters! - Great runs round there. I miss it!  image

• Hello Amsterdammers! 

I hope it's ok if I join your thread... I think I'm also going to be running Amsterdam Marathon. I say "I think I'm going to..." because I'd half talked myself out of doing it because I felt I was undertrained. I've now got a few longish runs in and yesterday ran a HM PB so am now feeling that maybe I can do this (it'd be my second marathon after Berlin last year). I suspect I just need a kick up the arse and to really commit to doing it!

Very impressed by the talk of 22 milers - and I can't imagine ever describing a 41 min 10k time as disappointing!

• Goalpost , will feel like its winding down after the 20 this weekend . Used to run on Wimbledon common when I lived in Putney,

Hellsbells  sounds like your doing ok if you got a half pb on the weekend , you should have no probs finishing having done Berlin  last year 

• Hey Welcome Hellsbells - I did Berlin last year and it was great (even though no training through injury image)

As Dean said - if you managed a half and done a marathon before you will be fine! I always think if you can run a half then you can run a full, a the second half is mostly in your head, it just depends what time and how much it hurts image

I'm impressed by all the talk of 22 milers as i have never done a training run that far!!! 19 is my longest ever i think and not normally past 16.........

• Hello again..  Not been on here for a while.  What times are people targetting for the marathon and what other race times are people using (if any) to come up with those target times?  I'm feeling fairly inadequate when I see people talking about 10k race times of  41 minutes as being disappointing (HellsBells7 I completely agree with you)..

• I have no idea what time - Brighton last year was 3:13,  but not done any training since then past 10 miles so far. So mine will depend if I can get my arse in gear and get some long runs done. (14-18 milers), and if I don't then sub 4 hr and if I do then sub 3:30. hoping to get some good training over winter for a sub 3 for London!

not had many races since the Brighton marathon except a 38min 10k in London and a windy 10k 41 min.

There is a local half marathon the week before Amsterdam, but not sure if its too close to the marathon really. - what do people think?

What about you big chief?

• BigChief - I am gunning for 3h15-3h20 although will be happy with anything better than my only marathon time of 3h25. I have a 10k PB of 41:47, 5k of 19:59 and a lousy HM time of 1h37. I have used McMillan calculator which provides a useful guide and also the RW variant also. 

I realise 3:15 is right at the top end but I am going to be bold. image

Wenty is in a good place to think a 41min 10k is disappointing. image

• Morning! 

So I'm jumping in very late, but also hopeful some maybe able to help.... Having trained/planned for Chester I am now unable to run due to workcommitments.

Im really hopeful of doing Amsterdam as its always been one I fancied but normally fell too close to other marathons which I'd already entered.... So if anyone has a bib/room or both which they won't use please please drop me an message! I'm very keen tohopefully not loose all the training pre Chester and would love to run out there!

Thanks all

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Slinkx- you can still register for the race By yourself!

• I know that one - I was just seeing if anyone may have one which would be going to waste/unused first.

If nothing comes up I will enter online at the weekend image

• Hi again, thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. 

Anyone else get the email this morning? I love that we're running through the Rijksmuseum. Cool!

Big Chief - glad it's not just me! I ran Berlin last year in 4h32 and obviously would love to beat that if I can. My new half PB is 2h02, so I'd like to think I could get a 4h2X anyway. I just need to get one or two more longer runs in - I'm hopping 18 this Saturday and maybe a 20 the following one.

• Hi again all  -  getting close now and feeling all sparkly and enthusisatic after Sunday's GNR so starting to get twitchy over the practicalities so I hope someone more experienced can point me in the right direction!

Am I right in thinking that you have to pick up your number at the Expo beforehand?  (I can't see anything on the website about it.)  Also are there any arrangements for baggage drop off / collection?

Thanks!

• Lillytoo, I asked this from other runners and it appears you can collect you rnumber brefore OR on the day of the race, which is good as i dont land until saturday afternnon and may not have time to collect the number

Some good times people are aiming for - bext of luck with them - just a get me round will do for me this time!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have also been told that a race pack is sent out and someone else is able to pick up your number if they have the confirmation from that pack. If that is the case then its ideal if someone will be arriving before you and can make it to the Expo... obviously its not much use otherwise!

• That's great thanks!  Any ideas about baggage?

• From the website:

"You can check a bag or clothing at the Olympic Stadium (for the TCS Amsterdam Marathon and 8K participants) and in the car park of the Sporthallen Zuid (for the Mizuno half marathon participants). Leave personal items at your own risk; however, they will not be constantly supervised. Please do not leave any valuable items with the bag check! For a fee of € 0.50, there will be a designated place at Sporthallen Zuid where you can securely check small valuables, such as wallets and watches.

Clothing changes are possible at the Sporthallen Zuid venue."

• Oops  -  hadn't seen that image

Thanks Hellsbells7

• Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad! It was a good question that I hadn't really given much thought to so I went to look. image

• Anyone one on here planning to get their number on the morning of the marathon? Or am I the only one stupid enough for that? - Did not think about it and just booked cheapest flights at the time......

• Just in case anybody is interested, you can pick a running number/pack up from the Expo on somebody else's behalf.  I will be arriving on Saturday morning and will be picking Sweaty's number up to avoid him having to waste his delicate energy reserves.  All you need is the confirmation email which we will apparently be receiving a week or two before the marathon.

I emailed them to find out so we have official word that this is ok.

• Are you offering to pick numbers up for people BigChief? - If so that maybe very useful.

• I wasn't doing but if you are desperate I could help you out.  I'm going anyway so it wouldn't be a problem.  Obviously we'd have to work out getting it to you.  Where are you staying?

• Morning! 

So I'm jumping in very late, but also hopeful some maybe able to help.... Having trained/planned for Chester I am now unable to run due to workcommitments.

Im really hopeful of doing Amsterdam as its always been one I fancied but normally fell too close to other marathons which I'd already entered.... So if anyone has a bib/room or both which they won't use please please drop me an message! I'm very keen tohopefully not loose all the training pre Chester and would love to run out there!

Thanks all

• Nice one BigChief.  I'll put my feet up and chill in a Coffee Shop while you queue to get my number.  You could charge folk for this kind of service. 

Did a 10miler around a wet and windy Manchester tonight.  Didn't take my GPS which was quite liberating.  

And...  I got my new shoes on and everything's feeling alright.

Slinkz - i'm getting a dejavue.  

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Slinckx... i swear didnt you just post on the previous page? If youre that keen - just register like the rest of us. Im not even sure transfers are allowed. We get the point that you want to run - so do it.

Big chief - very nice of you to offer for others. Im afraid im batshit psycho on race morning and not the calmest person to be around