Campag cassette question!

I ordered a campag cassette yesterday.  It 's turned up! It's basically just a stack of sprockets guess that's the way it's done these days?  Says sprockets on the box and not cassette as I was expecting.

Another question.  It's a veloce cassette I've bought to swap with an existing veloce cassette but would the sprocket set be useable on a chorus equipped bike?  It would wouldn't it?  They are both 10 speed but there's 4 years between them-chorus 2007 veloce 2011/12

Comments

• Oh and will this run ok without a lot of adjustment, the new is 14-23 the old is 12-25

• all campag components are interchangeable provided it's like for like so veloce will match chorus at 10 speed.

I'm surpised it's not come assembled though - when I've ordered campag cassettes in the past, they come fully assembled and ready to slide onto the hub.  are there spacers in the box as well??  if not, you will need some (4 I think) and they have different widths so need to be put on in the right order or you'll have issues.  you'll also need a lockring.  if they aren't there you can always use the ones off the old cassette until some new ones arrive.

swapping a 14*23 for a 12*25 should be easy enough without any adjustments

• I have this book marked ... as I did it for a mate, the first bit is romoval, but then it shows you assembly complete with spacers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgTOo1SP_Q

• It's ok they are on some plastic splines with spacers and ready to slide on.  No lockring, presume the previous one will be ok. 

Last time I bought a cassette they weren't called cassettes and they threaded on FB.  I think I got the last veloce 14-23 on the net, still around in centaur.  Veloce come as individual sprockets-at least on this cassette so there are 8 spacers.  It seems the days of buying individual sprockets and building up whatever you want are gone.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

I'm surpised it's not come assembled though - when I've ordered campag cassettes in the past, they come fully assembled and ready to slide onto the hub.  

The ones I've had come as separate sprockets and spacers but stacked onto a plastic 'hub' in the box.  They don't actually assemble together before going onto the hub - if you hold them carefully you can slide them all on together, but otherwise it's a one at a time job.

As for lockrings, I'd advise sticking with the one already on the hub, unless it's knackered for some reason.  They come in two depths and if you've got the wrong one you might find you can't get it fully on as the recess on the hub isn't enough for the full depth of thread on the locknut, if you see what I mean.

• jelly bean wrote (see)

It's ok they are on some plastic splines with spacers and ready to slide on.  No lockring, presume the previous one will be ok. .

that's how Campag ship them - I got the impression the way you described it that you were just loose in a box!!   it's a bit fiddly but you should be able to slide the whole lot onto the hub and then take the plastic bit out.

that's where Campag wins over Shimano - you can still buy the individual components of a cassette if you need and build as you want.   might be worth getting a new lockring but if you have no need for the old one, then use that.  70nM is the torque setting if I recall.....image

•  Yes I do, there's a mention in the instructions that if the cassette has a certain number on it it needs a different lockring but I think I'm ok.

WW.  Thanks for the video-the voice on there reminds me of the nutty scientist from the fast show.  Thanks all, I think I will be ok.

• I must get a torque wrench FB, it will have to be a hand job for now.

• thinking about it, it may be 40nM - 70nM might be the BB.  it will say on the lockring though.

the lockring and BB is about the only thing I use a torque wrench for - all the other bolts you can do on feel

• I am the complete opposite FB, I use a torque wrench for the 5nm limits on fancy carbon components and for 40nm lockrings I just give it some umph!

• for 5nM really??  that's barely fingertight so I stick with feel for them

"some umph" sounds about right for lockrings though.... image

• I got one of those Ritchey torque keys for the 5nm stuff - it only does 5nm but most stem bolts etc are set at that nowdays - I tended to undertighten the deliccate stuff based upon "feel" and this gives me the confidence to ensure it is tight enough not to slip but not too tight that I am damaging things.  Quite a cheap solution.

• 70nM is the torque setting if I recall

I thought it was "good and tight"...image Or as my Dad says, "do it up till it breaks, then back it off a quarter turn". (Which is not his way of doing it I hasten to add, it's how he describes my methodology...)

• Keep the spacers in the right order - I believe one of them is a fractionally different size. (between 3 & 4?)

• 40nm on cassettes or a bit of umphhhh  image