Running Shoe Insoles

Has anyone any experience of using any of these footbeds?

http://www.insoles-direct.com/running_shoe_insoles

I mildy over pronate and the Asics I have bought are alleged to support this. I don't have any twinges (other than age-related) when I run but was wondering if getting an off-the-shelf insole would help in any way. I have seen online that you can get custom insole made for about £80 to fit you perfectly but do the benefits outweigh the cost?

Is it a case of it it aint broke don't fix it?

Any comments appreciated image

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I use off the shelf insoles. They work for me.

🙂

• Thanks RicF do you pronate/supinate?

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

What are you expecting the insoles to help with if you don't get any pain when running with normal insoles?

I mildly overpronate and just buy shoes that provide mild support.  I don't use insoles in addition to this.  

• Just wandering what beneifits (if any) there are for custom v £'s cost to have them made - I know you could use them in other shoes - I have read that the ones which come with running shoes are not as beneficial as they are mass produced/production line insoles.

• "not as beneficial as they are mass produced/production line insoles" - a running shoe is designed as a complete unit - the insole is often designed to work with the shoe (recently, there is a trend to make them from the same material as the midsole, in a softer asker).  

That's not to say that after-market insoles won't help, but you need to decide what it is that you are hoping they will help with - cushioning, arch support, less rubbing, less fatigue?  You can't have them all - what is it you want?

Example: I have a pair of trail-running/approach shoes.  When running, they are fine.  But when walking for 6+ hours, my aches ache.  So I have stiffer insoles for that purpose.  They aren't better than the (Vasque) ones that came with the shoe, they're just different.

• Hello Neilg50,

Inserting insoles in your foot wear makes a huge difference to how you run or walk and they correct your feet for you. I used to pronate when I used to walk and when I used to run I used to suffer pain in my foot. So I decided to invest in a pair of insoles after re-searching I purchased the Dr Support Active insoles, amazing insoles and a friendly serviceimage

• Wow Alisha, only 2 posts and already two sales-pitch style 'review's of Doctor Quacker's Cure-all footbeds!  image

Neil, if you over-pronate, buy support shoes - the midsole and other features of the shoe correct pronation (an insole alone can't do this, unless it's an orthotic).  Hence, you don't need to add insoles/footbeds for this reason.  There are other reasons, as I mentioned earlier, but not pronation correction.

• DiscountRunner,

I'm only trying to help because I know the feeling of pronation. The insoles worked well for me so I thought I'd share and what’s wrong with sharing? And I’m not selling thank you! I’m helping besides insoles and orthitics are the same orthotic is an American term used  image                        

• Sorry, just used to seeing people spam the same products over and over!

An orthotic and an insole are not necessarily the same thing:

An orthosis (plural: orthoses) is "an externally applied device used to modify the structural and functional characteristics of the neuromuscular and skeletal system".

So, the term "orthotics" is generally used in running circles, to mean custom-made items that are obtained from a podiatrist, chiropractor or similar, having been made to correct a specific problem that they have identified.  An insole could be just a shoe-shaped piece of foam, cork or leather.

Finally, the term 'orthotic' comes from Greek and was in use before 'Merica was even a country!

• Hi Nielg50

my 2 penneth - and first post!

Why do you want insoles if you haven't got any injuries?

I have had running injuries, mainly PF and AT. I am told I pronate (I am also told you're meant to) but longer runs leave me suffering from these niggles. My physio recomended footdisc insoles (£30.00), so far the niggles haven't re-appeared. I haven't tried custom (I don't think I could afford them) as these have done the job.

• Thanks for the info DiscountRunner

• Wow £30 is too much for me... the shape and design of these insoles dont differ from cheaper ones eithier like these ones by nuova dont cost that much and are just same in essence. Remeber you pay a premium for a brand not always the quality of the insoles.

• I also mildly overpronate, and habe  no problems with the manufacturers insoles. What should I do, I'm stressed by the whole thing. Surely doing nothing can't be the answerimage

• I'm a moderate overpronator with one side being more severe than the other, plus my shoulders are out of line, so I've got inserts in my New Balance 940s as recommended by the lovely people in Up and Running. Watching the slowed down video of my running technique with these on looked all straight and awesome! 

So my advice is to go ask a proper running shoe fitting person who can advise on a more personal level image