Cycle haters

Apparently Surrey has been turned into a race track...

Comments

• They said just after 8 but not done it, maybe they realised the guy they were interviewing was a muppet.

• What a one sided interview, other than reading out the guidelines from Kingston Cycling Club they only let the woman moan and that was it.

Bit pathetic really.  Grrrrrr

• There was a half page piece in Saturday's Telegraph moaning about people being trapped on their homes every weekend due to the number of events Must admit I have some sympathy 

• I read somewhere about one of the complaints being about the noise ?

How loud are these cyclists ?

One of the people who set up the petition runs a clay shooting business. Hmmmm
  • cougie wrote (see)
    I read somewhere about one of the complaints being about the noise ?
    How loud are these cyclists ?
    One of the people who set up the petition runs a clay shooting business. Hmmmm

Maybe it the noise of the camera helicopter they were annoyed about?

• I never leave home without one !
  • The lady they interviewed did talk about people riding 2 or 3 abreast and not moving to single file when a car comes up behind them.  I've seen that when I've been in my car and it is pretty annoying.  I was taught to go single file in that instance when I did my cycle proficiency many moons ago so I can understand that particular complaint.

• Three abreast is silly and has no place unless the road is closed. . Two abreast should be fine on quieter or wider roads.

Obviously you single out if you are causing an obstruction.

It's all about being sensible and thinking of others really.
  • high way code rule 66 basicly say no more than 2 abreast and single file on narow or bysy roads .. 1 or 2 cars doed not equal a busy road

andthey should not overtake a cycle at all if it means crossing/stadling a continuous white line .. if bike is at 10mph or faster 

• On teh rarae occasions I have been two abreast, I find the car drivers don't want to wait for you to adjust your pace and drop back or go forwards. They just want you to get out of the way by teleporting or summat. No thought given to the time it actually takes to do something. 

• If cyclists are two, or more, abreast and are keeping up with the flow of the traffic or are close to the speed limit on the road then there is no problem for me. It's when they are sat up chatting and just rolling along that can cause problems. There are some who then dont like it when I hit my horn to remind them that they are not riding sensibly but most tend to realise the istuation and pull over

• Hopefully a little toot ? Sometimes they might not be able to hear your car - a toot is appreciated. Blaring the horn like you're going to mow them down isn't.
  • If you are in a peleton two a beast then surely its easier for the car to overtake.than if you single out as then they have twice as far to travel to get around you and not much chance of the road ahead being clear enough for long enough to manouvere

• We had a bunch of cyclists riding 2 or more abreast up or street last week

/members/images/780304/Gallery/Wiggers.JPG

• cougie wrote (see)
    Hopefully a little toot ? Sometimes they might not be able to hear your car - a toot is appreciated. Blaring the horn like you're going to mow them down isn't.

Anything more than a little toot triggers my hocky mask wearing axe murderer gene image

• two abreast or single file? Width of road plays a part in this surely.

If the road is narrow such that they can't pass a single cyclist without using the other lane then it doesn't make a difference if you are 1 or 2 abreast.

It is sometimes easier to pass 6 cyclists riding two abreast (3 long) than single file (6 long) due to lines of site and space to overtake. But the first reaction is anger and cyclists shouldn't be 2 abreast. I travel a fair bit in other peoples cars and the react angrily before even thinking.

I also drive a lot on motorways (2*300 mile each week minimum) and other cars drive slower than me. They should be shot in the head or stay indoors. Grrr. Bloody car drivers.

• D0MD0M ✭✭✭

Regarding the relationship between motorists and cyclists, I think the problems are caused mainly by the average motorists mindset about the roads. That being, that roads are for cars/lorries etc and if you are a slower moving vehicle of any kind (bike, tractor, milk float etc) then you are just in the way and inconveiniancing proper road users (cars).  Cycle lanes don`t help because it`s too much stop start as they are an after thought.  To make the roads safer for cyclists you need to change the motorists mindset and that will take decades.

• I think lack of awareness/ignorance (call it what you like) is the main issue. When I started cycling very recently I rode very close (read too close) to the curb - because as a motorist that is how I thought cyclists should ride. It wasn't until I rode with other people that I got told to move out from the curb a bit. Also until you are on a bike you have no idea what it is like to have a fast/big vehicle pass close by you. Riding a bike has defintely made me much more aware of cyclists - and more tolerant towards them - than I was previously. 

• Riding too close into the curb allows motorists not to register you as an obstacle and so they make no allowances when passing, it's actually more dangerous than taking your space on the road. plus that's where the punctures and potholes are.

• That is exactly what my friends told me, along with it not giving you any margin of error should you need to move. It just hadn't occurred to me at all - until it was pointed out. 

• percieved wisdom is to ride at least 1 metre from any kerb line for your safety - however you have every right to take as much space on the road as a car/van/truck has.

cyclists are not the poor relation here - every road user has the right to the same amount of space, but to keep the peace it's best that you ride towards one side of the lane but make sure you keep out from the kerb.  that way vehicles will see you and you give them space to get past.

however, dickheads in vehicles will always be there no matter what you do on a bike

• Technically the bikealist has more rights. The vehicle driverists have a licence to use the road with special conditions imposed. This licence can be taken away.

A cyclist has right of way that can't be removed.

But they weigh more.

• Cycling this morning (India not UK) and a bus completely decides that I shouldn't need to exist, pulling over almost on top of me and forcing my off the road. Fortunately there was some rough concrete patch for me to bunny hop on top so managed to stay upright just

There's no point shouting/arguing/educating though... that's just the way it is here unfortunately!

Then saw a car try and jump a red light and got completely side swiped by another car... which threw the car in the air and on to it's side. What shocked me was that all the people around ran to help... but their first thought was to turn the car back on it's wheels by 8 guys pushing it back over... with the guy still inside.... and obviously he had no seatbelt!!

Sometime's I can't wait to get back to the safety of London traffic! image

• m..eface wrote (see)

Technically the bikealist has more rights. The vehicle driverists have a licence to use the road with special conditions imposed. This licence can be taken away.

A cyclist has right of way that can't be removed.

But they weigh more.

Dont all road users have the same rights, with the exception of pedestrians who will always have priority regardless of whether what they are doing is right or wrong ? Surely cyclists have similar conditions imposed on them too e.g. speed limit, ride safely with due care and attention etc. What rights of way do cyclists have that cant be removed ?

• The right to use the road.

A judge can remove your driving licence and you can no longer use the road.
  • And speed limits cannot be enforced against cyclists, unless they are "cycling furiously", or are in a Royal Park (but that is questionable).

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

well timed umbrella into the spokes.

Jobs a goodun

• There is an offence of being drunk while riding your bicycle. image

• It would of course help if cyclists stopped cycling up the left hand side of cars and jumping lights.  Not doing us any favours there.  Driving through London last week I was amazed at the number of cyclists with a death wish.