chi running anyone...

hey ya'll

just heard of this new concept today...CHI RUNNING....

has anyone followed it and does it work. i think i would feel like a bit of a plonker trying it out at first....

if it doea work who knows of any northern workshops??

cheers

xx

Comments

• join us on the back into it thread by radmatt on beginners as a couple of us on there are following it & yorkslass is going to a workshop this weekend image
  • And I'm going with Yorkslass on Sunday image
  • I bought the book to learn a more efficient running style to sort out a recuring injury (and the alternative style, pose, seemmed a bit anal with thousands of drills).

It's pretty much just a case of tilting whole body foward slightly and landing feet below body with a mid foot strike.It sorted out my injury.

Get a book called 'born to run and the race the world didn't see'. All about a bunch of crazies and Mexican Indians who run 'efficiently'. It's more entertaining and informative than a 'how to' book.
  • hey daymion

i am just very dubious about the whole thing, is it just faddy and a concept that is expensive??
    xx
  • To an extent i think all the 'methods' are money making activities, but they do cover what is essentially a more natural way to run.if you borrow the book from the library and watch a few youtube videos you don't have to spend a penny.

If you watch any of the top runners, kids, or someone from a develoing country running without clunky trainers, they pretty much all run with a style that people have patented as chi/pose, etc.So all these methods are doing is marketing a natural way to run.
  • Just to provide a bit of balance, I bought the book and did the workshop, and have to say I was disappointed.  In fact, I recently threw the book out having decided it wasn't something I was ever going to consider referring to again...

HOWEVER, I know that if I hadn't gone, I'd still be wondering if it would be the injury-preventing miracle that I needed.  So I'm glad I went to find out that it wasn't (if that makes any sense!).

• I've done pretty much what Daymoin has done - read both chi-running and Born to Run. Both books were excellent in helping me run with a more efficient style. Once you get to understand the principle of chi-running its fairly easy to put into practice, and I feel much stronger and above all quicker.

And Daymion is right about Born To Run - I don't think I've read a more entertaining book in a long time. The runners featured are all great characters, and the book is written with a mix of humour, education and an element of suspense as it climaxes with the race the book builds up to right from the start - a great read.

• thanks guys, in regards to my comment about the moeny thing, it wasnt so much that i am a tight fisted scot but running can be expensive as it is and with the physio i am getting at the moment its becoming hard to part with even more money for things that may not even make a change.

• Scottish laura - Chi running is okay have signed up to the webpage etc.. (costs nothing) its designed to appeal to the US.. read the book it might help.. some of it is common sense ie. posture need to view the info. given and if you can get anything out of it great. otherwise no huge loss...
  • The only problem with born to run is that you go off and enter 50mile mountain ultras afterwards!

A point well made B
    Team, what works for one person may not necessarily be good for another.
  • Just been to the workshop today. It is very informative but can see difficulties putting it in practise and break the habits of heel striking etc. Enjoyed it though. It's all about the posture and makes so much sense.
  • hey turbo, do you think it is worth the 100quid for the day??or would you be able to read the book and put the stuff into practice (obv in a secluded area ha ha)
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I just used the book.
  • I haven't read the book actually but other people at the workshop had and everybody agreed that no way could they have learned from the book what they learned today in practise. It's different because there is constantly someone assessing you and telling you whether your posture is right or wrong, whether you're lifting your legs up enough or leaning too much. Someone at the workshop said she's used the audiobook whilst running but again the effect of the workshop was so much more.

£100 is a lot of money for me. But I suppose it depends what you are used to spending and what you can or can't afford. Would you rather put it to alcohol, cigarettes, sweets, a hair-do, couple of clothing items, for a couple of meals out, or for a workshop learning something that might be beneficial for life. It's all subjective.

I was willing to pay for it, not ONLY just from my running point of view, but because my studies as well. I'm studying sports therapy and the major causes for injuries are overuse and incorrect technique or posture. Therefore I was keen on seeing whether this workshop compliments what I've learned in my studies. And it does.

So no I don't think £100 is too much if it pays for you to learn the natural way of running, walking, and how we should be standing.

If at all interested, I would recommend the workshop.
    If in doubt, sit back, read a little bit about injuries, review your history of injuries and think whether you want to take a step to ditch all your learned habits of standing, walking and running and try something else, or whether you continue as before or choose another way of dealing with it. It's an individual's choice.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I was very injury prone and running in shoes with a lot of support.  I used the book, changed the way I run and now mid-foot strike and run in lightweight shoes with no problems.  Well, that's not strictly true.  I still have the same ITB problem but now it doesn't occur until I hit about 40-45 miles and I don't run that far very often image

I'm sure the workshop is great but if you don't have £100 to spend then please don't think you can't do it with just the book.

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

After reading the book I did a London workshop (with Mitch) - sometimes you get a better grasp on things seeing it - a bit like reading a book & watching the film.

Yes a bit expensive but one of my best investments in running I`ve ever done. Everyone is different thou. 

(There is a DVD you can buy)

• The books only a fiver from amazon so I bought that, it's a bit overly spiritual and such for me but the technique makes sense and theres some good info in there. I find the best tips for good technique are from barefoot kenbobs website (even if you wear shoes).

I found the main points are:-

-relax

-concentrate on bending your knee to lift your foot, but not lifting your knee

-push your hips forward and down

-lean slightly from the ankle

-run tall, run soft

• You can learn it from the book and by using a mirror and practising your posture, I think. And the book is less than a tenner which is pretty cheap!

But I did get a lot from the workshop. It was great to have the time to work on it properly, get feedback and have the time and space to put it all together, see how it is meant to feel when you're doing it right! £100 is a lot of money for me too, I don't have cash to throw about! But it's not a lot more than the average pair of running shoes, which you have to replace. And it's cheaper than the orthotics you might need when you get injured lol. 

I think the "chi" part of chirunning is offputting for a lot of people. And I can see why. There's plenty of people who don't buy into the whole "energy flow" and chi thing - which is fine, I don't think I do either! But happily they ignored that at the workshop and concentrated on the practical application and technique. I still think anyone could benefit from it, without subscribing to the chi stuff.  It's just a running technique based on good posture and not slamming your heels into the ground.

• Chirunning day 1.

6 miles.

PB

Muscular effort: Minimal

Cardio workout: Maximal

Notes: Nearly drowned in my own sweat

Agree with YorksLass. Chi part can be off putting. I don't know about anyone else but it makes me run hell of a lot fasterimage

My heart and lungs can't keep up wit the rest of my body LOL

• Turbo elli I have been discussing this with yorks (above) & am also using the book & have to agree heart & lungs felt like they were going to appear out of my mouth yet I was whizz along at speed & my legs feel so fresh after instead of lead weights image
  • Oh good I'm glad to hear that - must mean I'm not getting it completely wrong then image

If I continue like this with my marathon training I will either

1. Get super fit

2. Die doing my long runs!

• oooohhh no TE I think the first one is the preferable option there & the goal to aim for lol image
  • LOL Sounds about right, Elli! I have to keep shortening my stride to slow down or I'll expire!!

• Interested to hear about the heart and lungs, needing to shorten stride bit.....me too! Not having done one of the courses though I wasn't sure I was just getting it wrong!

Totally agree with the comments about the Chi/Yoga/Energy flow etc. I tend to believe in the energy flow side of things from a quantum mechanics view point, but you certainly don't need to in order to benefit from changing your running style. 

• I'm training as a Chi Running Instructor and have come across countless life changing testimonials about the technique from those who invested a lot of time in learning the technique.

Many people find that they find running involves much less effort and also reduces impact, thefore injury. That's got to be good, hasn't it?!!