The Noob Begins.

Good evening Rw I hope you are all in good form. 

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place as I couldnt find a new comer thread.

Well where to start, I'm joining because I want to take up running having never taken it seriously or foolishly considered it needlessly strenous and outdated ( don't ask ) but due to being fed up with the insane amount of fitness programmes and diets seemingly contradicting eachother, I decided to get back to basics. 

I want to make this a part of my life and a regular routine, so I'm not just looking for a quick fix. 

I'm 29,from Scotland and weigh around 244lb or 17st 4lb at 6'2'' 

In the past i've opted for weight lifting so its not like i've been unhealthy my entire life... for personal reasons I've took my eye off the ball but here I am ready to make it right... 

So hopefully I can tap ito the expertise and experience of the people here.

I'm gonna need to look up footware, nutrition, distances and recovery etc etc.

Hope to speak to some of you soon.

Cheers.image 

Comments

• image Ay up mate and welcome to the mad house. Do you have a plan in mind or just going to take it as it comes? If your starting from scrach you might find this a useful starting point.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

I'm sure we are all going to talk you into doing a daft race before you know what hit you. imageimageimage

• Good luck image

Feet are everything go to a decent shop and get sorted out for footwear.

You mention nutrition, are you wanting or hoping to diet as a result of running if so, then you really need to look at still controlling your calorie intake as well as running.

Do you have a race in mind? It's just some of us find that is easiest to stay on track if you have already got a race planned.

Also take a look and see if there is a local parkrun these are free 5km runs that begin at about 9am on Saturday mornings and you get timed so can see improvement over time.
  • Cake wrote (see)

image Ay up mate and welcome to the mad house. Do you have a plan in mind or just going to take it as it comes? If your starting from scrach you might find this a useful starting point.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

I'm sure we are all going to talk you into doing a daft race before you know what hit you. imageimageimage

booktrunk wrote (see)
    Good luck image

Feet are everything go to a decent shop and get sorted out for footwear.

You mention nutrition, are you wanting or hoping to diet as a result of running if so, then you really need to look at still controlling your calorie intake as well as running.

Do you have a race in mind? It's just some of us find that is easiest to stay on track if you have already got a race planned.

Also take a look and see if there is a local parkrun these are free 5km runs that begin at about 9am on Saturday mornings and you get timed so can see improvement over time.

Thanks for the welcome image

Well I guess I'm looking at this from 3 angles. 

1, to shed unwanted weight. 

2, Stick to a very clean diet 

3, create a sustainable routine 

I'm a Night Owl so I'll be looking to change my sleeping habits so I can join the 5am club. I won't lie though, as the weight drops I will look to push myself and participate in the odd race just to see how it goes. 

But one step at a time as they say. 

My ideal weight is 14st 5 lb currently 17st 4 lb. If I drop under 14.5 I won't be bothered its just that I know I can get into the 14 stone range as I done that before a couple of years ago. 

Thanks again for the welcome, I've enjoyed readin through this forum so far.