Question on weight / Height /distance..am i doing too much?

Hi, a little info 1st, i got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year, so i walked from 249lbs / 113kg down to 196lbs / 88.9kg, now my diabetes is managable only taking 1 pill 500 mg metformin now.  Started transition to jogging almost 3 months ago. Every other day, taking it easy at 1st. you know like doing .3 miles 3 min break, then .8 miles break, wogging if you would call it that. Now im doing nonstop jogging. B4 today my best was 2 miles / 3.22km without stopping in a little under 22 mins. My heart and lungs are are adapted pretty well as of now and my muscles burn but never sore the next day or anything. Just 45 mins ago i jogged 2.5 miles nonstop in 28 mins.  In the last coupe weeks ive been having very slight pain in left hip and knee after going for about 15 mins, nothing bad but the tendon / joints are sore for the next day a little and im fine, but it happens all over again when i go for my next jog.  I'm 35, 192 lbs / 87.1kg and only 5'8 / 172.5cm so im well overweight, Is pushing it to 2.5 miles / 4km in 28 mins for my weight and height pushing my body too far? I'm sure most people that do that are prolly 20 lbs / 9kg lighter than me, can you give me some insight please i don't want to get hurt, would appreciate your advice on this, and like i said never jogged in my life until under 3 months ago to keep that in mind. thanks  

Comments

• Nate - I'm a skinny so and so and know nothing about losing weight but if you follow link below and scroll to near bottom of page and get to Background you will read about probably the right way to go about starting to run if overweight - ie walk shed loads first to lose the weight and then get running - so pretty much what you've been doing (brilliantly I should add - well done) but you need to lose some more weight before you jog all the time.

http://runningonaraisin.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2012-01-15T21:00:00Z&max-results=7&start=31&by-date=false

Also don't know if you are doing this on roads or grass but if you are running do it on grass as this will help - it does get harder mind around this time of year because its dark in the morning and at night.

So keep up the exercise - you must feel loads better - but important after getting this far that you can keep exercising rather than get injured and stop altogether.

Good luck.

• Do you feel good?  I think that is probably the best way to judge.

Do you have any aches, pains, niggles etc that just won't go away or do you feel energised and happy with your running?

A big of ache and very slight pain in usually nothing to worry about but if the pain is SHARP or doesn't go away with a bit of rest then you are getting a warning from your body.

I am not a massive fan of running when carrying extra weight because I tried it and it didn't work for me - I got to within a stone of a healthy weight and tried again and found it much easier. However my tecnique was seriously bad when I started and so bad technique + extra weight = lots of pain.

I do know there are lots of heavier ladies and gents (over on the weight watchers board) who run long distances and have no problems. It def makes it harder but I wouldn't want to discourage you as exercise is (possibly) even better for your health than losing weight.  (going by some studies I have read recently but not wanting to get into a fight with anyone who feels differently). You see all sorts of shapes and sizes running marathons and half marathons so don't limit yourself by what you 'think' you should be doing - rather go by how  you feel (and be honest with yourself here).

Best of luck

• PS Even skinny people get injured running sometimes though!image

I can't edit my original post as there has been another post but where I wrote 'need' I should have written 'may be better'

• I wouldn't worry just keep on building slowly.......just take it back a step and then build up again....... well done

• Well im definately glad i decided to join this site.  I appreciate everyones input and you all gave me a lot of reasurrance to keep at it. All of your facts and suggestions ill take heed to as they all make a lot of sense to me.  Btw i run on the road, not grass.  From all your input i thnk i should step back a little form the distance im doing and maybe go back to a steady 2.5k every other day instead of pushing myself. I'm one of those that has a lot of determination and dont know when to stop lol. So if i go back to 2.5k every other day, would it help the weight loss if i did brisk 30 min walk on my off days? Maybe that combo will help get my body used to that distance and maybe b4 going farther i can see if i can work my way up to better times on 2.5k instead, then once i shed a bit of weight, push myself some more image thanks everyone for your awesome input.  So should i walk briskly for 30 mins on off days?

• Oh and thanks a lot for that link Skinny! much appreciated!

• Hi Nate

I am a newbie like you, I started running at the end of June so 3 Months, before that other than walking to the station etc I did no real exersise. I used to weigh nearly 18 Stone and I am 5'9, I lost 3 stone through diet a few years ago and kept most of it off. When I started running I was 15 Stone. I am now just over 14 and am now running up to 11K 4 times a week and aim to do 12K on Monday.

BMI wise we are pretty much the same and I am 3 years younger than you so there is not much in it between us, so I would not worry about being too big, just do what you feel is right. Any aches or pains and back off, visit the doctors is required, but keep going.

I have a 10K booked for the beginning of December and am hoping to hit the hour mark.

• Hi Jon, thanks for the comments, gives me a little more confidnence that i can keep my pace.  Little aches and pains here and there, i think mostly to do with the way the road i run on kinda slopes downwars a bit on the shoulder of the road. So i get a little dull left hip pain and very dull left knee, i started switching sides of the street every 1k and thats help a bit. Think ill tone it down like i said for a few to 2.5 and try bettering my time instead of distance at this point. And great luck to ya on the 10k in Dec! I'm sure just being in a race like that gives you some extra adrenaline to better your time and motivation image Make sure to let us know how you do. Thanks again for the input

Nate

• Nate,

I Lost 3stone+ 3 or 4 years ago, and I would repeat Skinny's comments about walking shed loads. I didn't run during that period of weight loss, but that was more because I has no inclination too.  Getting the diet right first, and adding in some low intensity exercise (walking) sorted me out.  I would suggest sticking to jogging distances that are comfortable for now Is more than enough.

One book I read and found really useful is The Harcombe Diet (Stop Counting Calories, Start Losing Weight). It really changed the way I eat / think about food.

• Hip and knee.. Could be IT Band issues, which medium term you can help by building up some of the muscles more... Have a read up on iliotibial band and see if anything their rings a bell, there are stretches n stuff to help a bit.

As you can imagine the more weight you can loose the easier the strain is, but some people no matter how thin or large are more injury prone than others.

I also really second the idea of running on grass or dirt tracks as opposed to roads if possible.

I started running cirka 90-91kg but was also strictly dieting so went down quickly, but I'd also recommend you have trainers with as much cushioning as possibleimage with a lot of weight on I wanted as much shock absorption as possible. That seemed to work for me.
  • I'm no expert, but from personal experience (I'm not overweight, but have been in the past) it's not the distance but the speedwork that is likely to lead to injury (within reason of course - I'm not recommending going out and doing 10 miles this week).  Going out and doing a steady 3 km focusing on good form and running gently is going to be easier on the joints and muscles than pounding out a fast 2km.  I would keep the pace slow until you have got the weight down a little more.

• Distance before speed - pretty much the rule for beginner runners.  Build your endurance first  - you are much more likely to get hurt trying to go faster rather than longer.

and don't worry about your pace at all at this point.

• Good advice above, I've nothing to add but just wanted to butt in and say well done and good luck!

• Thanks again everyone for all the advice and motivation i appreciate it image I'll slow it down and try to stay on my feet longer than usual to build up my endurance. On w/e's when i have the time maybe a 1-2 hour brisk walk to get used to be moving that long.

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I've found one of the hardest things about running is drawing that line between:

A/ pushing yourself hard so you can get faster/fitter/better.

B/ not pushing yourself too hard so you get injured.

When I first started running I was a similar size/weight to Nate. I probably did a bit too much of B which means that even now I have a slight problem with my right leg that requires frequent stretching - every five miles or so when I'm out running.

Distance not speed is great advice. It's taken me ages to realise that.

If I ran a 10k at 57 mins I'd be absolutely exhausted at the end of it. If I ran 10k 5 mins slower at 1hr 2 I'd probably be OK to run another 10k right after. Pulling back your speed by only 10% can make a massive, massive difference.

I also think an important thing to mention is that you shouldn't expect the weight to drop off straight away. Or for it to make a massive difference. You have to run because you like doing it, not because you feel it will be a shortcut to weight loss (not saying you think that).

• Yea Biko its seems that after the first month or so of running it became sort of a addiction and i think i have the same problem you mentioned wanting to do more and more too quickly.  I just wish i had a place around to run on grass as i heard thats a lot easier on your body but unfortunately i dont.  But yea i took a few days off since I started this post, and tomorrow im gonna see if run and stay on my feet and extra 10-15 mins not even worrying about distance for now until my tendons / joins catch up with my cardiovascular system. I heard that they take a lot longer to ajust to running while the hear and lungs get ajusted a LOT faster so thats why im not too much out of breath.  But yes thats my new motto, "Distance not speed"

Thanks for adding some helpful info and your story Biko. Cheers

• Well I just got back from my 1st run after taking a break and taking advice on this thread. I did distance not speed as most of you suggested. I actually had no trouble slowing my pace and jogging 60 mins nonstop compared to killing myself doing only 27-28 mins with some pain. Thanks everyone who participated im gonna start a new thread now with a few other quetions i have since you were all SO much help thx again everyone!

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I was about 2 1/2 stone overweight when I started running. I did cause myself a couple of injuries. One of which persists to this day!

I'm (only) a stone overweight now and finished a half marathon last weekend. I didn't win it (or even trouble the front couple of thousandimage) but it can be done.

Distance/time not speed is an important mantra.