Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Matt-  a 16.15 ish last 5k in training, looks good considering you weren't at it. Plus you sped up thru the session.

im in the camp that every runner needs either a marathon or an Olympics Against their name.  So marathon it is then. (in the distant future)image

my session tonight was a rolling 20*200 with 200 fast jog recovery. Target was 5 k pace.  Felt tired and heavy legged but got thru.  Rest day tomorrow and Xc race on sat.

• Dean: I wish I'd never started with the marathon thing. I ran one as always thought I'd be incapable but was really disappointed with the time so want to do a lot better, and as The Bus says.  My sister is doing it so I'll stay with her(she lives in London). I was signed up for Chester this October but chickened out and decided to go to the US a week earlier instead. 

• Hey Tim, Chester's not such a dangerous place surely??

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ - save the jealousy until I actually run it, I wouldn't be the first on this thread to aim at sub 2:40 and fall far short.

Plan B is of course to briefly take the fastest thread marathon of 2013 crown before Johnas smashes it back off me at Frankfurt a week later.

• Evening all.

No magazine from London here, mainly as I didn't apply. Beachy Head was a marathon too far, or so I thought. The subsequent one was a tad faster (just).

Some good training going on in the thread in the meantime, with pics to prove it.

Re: clubs, I am not UKA registered this year as the club did not pay (as I forgot to pay them). I will pay them, but will the UKA sort it all out in a timely manner? I need to be in good stead with my club so I can transfer next year (new vest!).

After 12 weeks of plodding my speed has returned and I'm feeling bouyed by it. A nice easy 14km along the River Taff last night. A wet 4km recovery this morning.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Seeing Dachs and Johnas quality sessions works two ways for me. It looks as though both have really kicked on and part of me would like to do a marathon to get a decent time and hopefully the training would benefit the other distances. 

The other part of me realises how bloody tough their sessions look and I don't think I'd get anywhere near them paces for 26 miles. 

the dogs dinner I made of Edinburgh in 2011 still makes me wince when I think about it. Plenty of people have asked me if I've done a marathon. They're not interested in sub 16 5ks or 33 min 10ks, I get a bit embarrassed about my 3.30 marathon if truth be told. 

• Yeah, but you've actually go a pretty damn decent marathon time under your belt to build on Dachs compared to the last pretender to the throne image

As for plan B - well, given what Johnas has been punching out session wise recently, and on top of race results, it should be damn good, but I don't want to start tempting fate, cos if there's one thing we've all learnt about marathons over the years, anything can happen on the day....

Either way - fingers crossed that it all goes as it should!

• Cross posts. Good news Iron that it's coming back together and speed is returning.

Matt - unfortunately there's only one answer....

• mattl wrote (see)

Seeing Dachs and Johnas quality sessions works two ways for me. It looks as though both have really kicked on and part of me would like to do a marathon to get a decent time and hopefully the training would benefit the other distances. 

The other part of me realises how bloody tough their sessions look and I don't think I'd get anywhere near them paces for 26 miles. 

the dogs dinner I made of Edinburgh in 2011 still makes me wince when I think about it. Plenty of people have asked me if I've done a marathon. They're not interested in sub 16 5ks or 33 min 10ks, I get a bit embarrassed about my 3.30 marathon if truth be told. 

I'd be happy with a 3:30; I guess when you get there you wish you'd gone harder/had better day in the office. Mrs would not be hapy with the time spent training for said mara.

Ta Bus!

Busy few days. Off to bed sober now.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, you've done one at least, that oughta hold the irritants.

And for the many appalling reasons to do a marathon, shutting up non runners has to be up there with the worst of them!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Matt, you've done one at least, that oughta hold the irritants.

And for the many appalling reasons to do a marathon, shutting up non runners has to be up there with the worst of them!

But it does deal with 99.9% of the population.

One aspect of the yawn event of two weekends ago was being asked by another competitor 'the marathon questions'. When I revealed a pb of 2:46 he declared being in the presence of greatness.

Greatness! I had to check with my wife I hadn't been on the wine after I heard that one.

🙂

• I got called an "Elite" after my 2:55 image 

Right up there with Geb!

Very sniffly today with a a head full of cotton wool.... 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, are you still planning that 25 miler?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

silly question Ric. Although maybe you're angling for an invite?

having just done a "tempo lite", 10miler, with 6miles at steady, with 100m strides thrown in here and there, i again can say i wouldn't fancy these 20+ milers with 10+ miles at MP!

I'm not incredibly looking forward to the days the 5-6miles at MP and faster kick in, let alone actual running marathon type sessions

• Not sure Ric - will gauge how I feel in the morning. My usual rule in these cases is, symptoms only above the neck and I'll run, anything below and no, but I'll need to be even more careful given the length of the run and the risk of totally messing up my immune system! I can put it back a few days (or a couple of miles) if needs be, but would rather not.

I wouldn't fancy those either SG - much as I'd like to, there's been only very little MP stuff in the really long runs. Most of my MP stuff has been within the 8-15M run range to try and keep the hammies under control. 

• Hey there folks.

Tuesday session was 10min, 3 x 5mins all at tempo.

Thursday was 8 x 1KM (90s) ranged between 3:30-3:32 with a cheeky 3:21 last rep image

XC race tomorrow! Bring it on!

Hope everybody is ok, Johnas... your sessions are just mental. You are literally running away with it at them moment!

• Good luck with the cross country tomorrow Stevie. From your recent training, you'll do well. Tim 

• Hi Stevie - nice sessions! Two speed sesions AND an xc race tomorrow is pushing it but sounds like you're feeling pumped for it so have a good one!

• Whilst I appreciate the confidence you all have, only time will tell. Target has always been sub 2.40 for Frankfurt but it really is borderline IMO.

As for our other marathoners, I think both Dachs and Bus are in great shape. They've put a lot more long runs in than I have and that'll pay it's own dividends for sure.

Good to hear from you SS. Same session for me tonight with 5x 200m (30) on the end for me. Still can't run consistent 1k reps to save my life - target was 3.22: 3.12, 3.21, 3.16, 3.20, 3.18, 3.24, 3.20, 3.23 then 32, 32, 32, 34, 33.
  • Hey All. Ex poster here who still lurks a bit. I disappeared off here mainly due to getting made redundant, having kid no 3 and then moving back to SA, all in the space of 5 weeks a few months back. Just popped my head up as I know what you guys mean about the standard runners' questions from non runners. When I was in the UK it was always, so you run do you? Have you done the London Marathon? Over here it's, oh you run? Have you done Comrades? For those who don't know it, Comrades is a crazy hilly 56 mile ultra in SA that draws huge fields. Well, huge by ultra standards.

I still enjoy watching you guys progress when I come on here. Congrats Dean on being immortalised as a national champion! I also noted a stellar sub 75 HM from Johnas a few weeks back. 

Good luck to the Autumn marathon runners. Bus, go and smash it at Abingdon. It has to be the quickest course I've run by a fair distance. Dachs, if I remember right you'll be there too. I'm sure you will surprise yourself on the day with your progress this year. Johnas, good luck at your marathon too. I'll say you are going to give 2:35 a scare.

My running here has been hit and miss. Awfully tough day at Comrades with the weather being so hot. WTF, 34C in winter!!! So I missed my sub 7 target but still did 7:10. Since then tried to train for a September marathon but dodgy knee put paid to a good training campaign so had to settle for 2:44. Can't seem to get 10km and HM anywhere near right though.

I'll continue to watch the progress from the lurkers corner.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Warren, "settling" for a 2.44 marathon!

And I suppose it's good we only have to field have you done marathon questions, imagine having to do a 56miler to prove yourself as a runner! That's the race where there's a maximum cut off too isn't it, they just shut the gate at the end or something!

Johnas, Aiming for a 33:42 10k? Probably sounds about right off your recent training. And you comfortably beat that so things looking good. Your training system is similar to mine, in that the average pace we can do in an 8x1k session we can normally replicate on a race day. As opposed to some of the other guys who do them a couple of mins faster image

It's certainly the case that I'll watch you go and join the Dachs/DT2/Crispy bracket on the thread, while I sit a chunk behind.

Can feel the pelvis/stomach a bit tighter just after yesterdays 6m Steady with 12x100m strides session, so not sure how things will progress throughout base as it ramps up.

But...we'll keep on keepin on! 2x4miles easy makes it a more comfy day!

• Warren, not a bad one at Comrades. This year was tough and hitting 7:10 is still good (so that is a silver medal, sub 6 for a Wally Hayward, any plans?). Should be easier next year if you train your quads for the downhill.

• Hi Warren - thanks for the encouragement! Funnily enough I have a South African friend, who is also doing Abo, and who I bumped into on my run this morning. He always talks about the Comrades and about his Dad who did it. All I can say, is I'm glad I don't live in South Africa if you have to run a hilly 56 miler to be considered a runner image. Well done on doing it and your diappointing (!!!) 2:44.

Right - all long runs now done and dusted for me!!! The cold seemed to have abated overnight, so carried on with plan - 25 miles in 3:07. The pace was actually 7:16 at mile 20, and (relatively!) comfortable. The 1.5M long hill after that lead to the wheels coming off a bit over the last 5, and it dropping to 7:29 overall, whihc was actually close to target 7;30 anyway, and quite happy with that, as it was fairly warm and humid too, with 1200 ft of ascent thrown in for good measure.

Pretty shattered now, but at least I'm not near passing out like the 25 miler I did in baking heat before VLM 2011!

Let the taper begin!!

ps - sorry for interrupting your session SG image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

25miles my word.  I ache thinking about that!

Bus, don't worry, I was merely doing a 4miler, attempting to do a reverse of an up through the woods, down the hill and back job.

Only thing, is that I can never quite find my way to the exact reverse in the woods bit, so ended up with 0.2miles more needed. And that's when I saw you, hence a very small bit down the road then back!

Can feel a few bits now, so will dribble the evening 4 out slower later, before a 12 tomorrow.

• bus, nice 25 there but wheels off is right: my calcs say the last 5 were done at 8:21 pace to drop from 7:16 to 7:29 average. Any lessons that can be learned and used for Abo? Was it just that hill or do you think the lurgy was still there?

• No, I think it was just the hill (well,and being tired runing 2 miles further than previous LSR of course!). Can't get on to Garmin to check the splits at the moment but from memory, I think the last 3 were all between 7.20 and 7.45. Also, as I knew I was still within the 7.30 target I didn't dig as deep as I might have. Overall, it was about 10secs a mile faster than the 2 25s I did before VLM

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

7.16 is pretty fast for the first 20miles?!

• yep, possibly a bit to quick, but wanted to get a bit in the bank before the hill. It was reasonably comfortable, helped by the run profile of 3 miles flat, sharp downhill, about 6 slowly climbing, then next 11 either flat or gently downhill where I managed a steady cruising pace.

Also very educational as I listened to 5 'Life Scientific' podasts from radio 4 to pass the time!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Crazy long run bus. Good work, does sound a solid pace to 20miles. Do you make sure to run a big loop so heading home early is not an option? Do you listen to the marathon talk podcast?

Hope the XC went OK Stevie See, way too hot and early for a true cross country race though, still September! 

Just back from a mahoosive, if that is a word, once a lifetime pothunt! emoticons first.imageimage.Kept to some of the rules as laid out by Bus and SG, A hilly race, first time event had prizes, dont mention it on the forum! My excitement was dulled mildly by a huge skip full of ice water which I had to dive into then under dive under a log blocking the route 3 times. Its amazing the way the chest constricts breathing when instantaneously submersed in cold water! Anyway, the fun bit, 2nd place for a wopping two hundred and fifty pounds. hehehe. I'm serious too! Didn't even have a good race felt crap. Clearly I'm being vague about the event in case its on next year haha. Enjoy your afternoon..