Blackpool Marathon??

Hi, Just had my fifth rejection from VLM - time to give up now me thinks. I'm looking for a spring marathon to keep myself training! I ran the Manchester Marathon last year (my first one) and absolutely loved it. I really wanted to go for a different one next year. I've got my eye on Blackpool though I'm put off by the 2 lap course must admit. Has anyone run it?? Would you recommend it? The kids are rooting for Blackpool because of the Pleasure Beach!

Comments

• I'm in the same position getting my sorry smurf magazine yesterday so I started trawling for a spring one.

I found the Huddersfield marathon which is new for 2014. The same people organising it are doing one in Wakefield and Halifax perfect for me as I live 4 mile from Huddersfield.

Althought they are loops as Blackpool you run in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside rather than a tired seaside resort image

http://www.huddersfieldmarathon.co.uk/

Links to Wakefield and Halifax are at bottom of home page on Huddersfield site. 

• I'm probably doing huddersfield as well it's so close would be rude not to. image You might like white peak marathon link If you do go for Blackpool did it a few years ago and it's lovely bonus is that because it's slightly off season getting somewhere to stay is easy and cheap.

• Thanks Keggi and Cake - will certainly take a look at Huddersfield. Being a Wigan lass (though living in Devon). Blackpool was our fave holiday destination as a kid image
  • Hi cake - remember me from Pirates Half IM (you started running with me to show me where to go on the run)?

I may look at Huddersfield. For some reason i dont fancy Blackpool, not sure why as run a couple a half marathons the organisers have put on and they are spot on.

I have done Manchester and really enjoyed it but fancy something different. 

Hey northern lass - i live in Wigan (but a Boltonian)

• I did Blackpool marathon a few years ago and really enjoyed it!  It's quite nice doing two loops as you get to see what's coming in the second half.  Only real downside, as with all coastal races, is it could be a bit breezy.  The half marathon is run at the same time so try not to get dragged along with all of those racing 13.1.  The coastal path from 10-13 miles (and therefore 23-26 miles) is a teeny bit undulating, which is tough work the second time around. 

• Thanks for the info Carrot. Living in Devon all my runs are hilly so undulating doesn't worry me. It was a nice surprise doing Manchester last year and having a flat as a pancake marathon

Is the marathon well organised? Good facilities??

Shout out to fellow Wiganer Paul! I was tempted to do Manchester again because the crowd support and organisation was brilliant but I also fancy doing something different. My Dad's an ex marathoner and he did Blackpool a few times so he's keen for me to give it a go!
  • Paul Platt wrote (see)

Hi cake - remember me from Pirates Half IM (you started running with me to show me where to go on the run)?

image Yes mate I still have the nightmares from trying to keep up how you doing fellar?

Lass Blackpool has had some problems one year with the course being mucked about by the councel so some folks got upset. From what I've seen of the race it's well organised and friendly.

• I'm good cake. What's your next run? I have Chester on Sunday night

Wonder what Liverpool will be like next year. Going to be a rock and roll event. I did it a couple of years back when Alan ran it and was good.
  • Ok ta muchly.

I wanted to do Liverpool but it clashes with the other half's 50th birthday!
  • I'm a little annoyed alan's got shafted on liverpool well assuming he has anyway so was thinking of not doing the race. That will probably last untill I see the course and end up entering anyway. image

Got Abingdon next and then looking furward to a few months of local fell races.

Lass can't you tell the other half your going to take him for a mucky weekend in liverpool? image Just pack your running kit and sneak off sunday morning he might not notice for a few hours?

• Yes well organised, plenty of toilets, a few water stops around the course.  I can't remember any gels being given out as I didn't used to use them so I'd plan to carry your own fuel if you use it, but there was definitely bottled water the last few times I did the full or half.

It's not hilly at all, it's a very quick course where I set my half marathon PB that remained for a year and a half!

If there's anything else I'd recommend I'd say get the best accommodation you can - it's worth paying a bit more - Blackpool is very popular with hen/stag parties and general weekends away on the lash. Try not to stay too central as I can imagine you'll be wanting some kip the night before.  Or better still, drive there on the day!

• Just picking up on the hen/stag do comment, and I hate to sound a total snob but is Blackpool as much as a dump as I fear? I've been once about 20 years ago and don't have fond memories...

I am looking at this or Manchester but this gets better reviews and is a better option for my g/f who would be a not overly keen spectator. But I hate, and I mean hate being around groups of drunken leary lads.

• 2wheels Blackpool is I'm afraid a dump but still a good race. As a spectator I think your girlfriend might enjoy Blackpool more as there is more to do there and also it's lap's. The stag/hen nights can be annoying on the saturday night but on the sunday morning you get to have a good laugh as the they all try to work out whats going on. image

• Yeah I had a feeling you'd stay that!