How can I achieve negative slipt times in my 10K races ?

I have just completed my 2nd 10K race in an identical time of 51.57. I am really struggling in the last 2 miles, as you can see from my split times below.I was hoping to get a time under 50 minutes, and I am sure this is achievable if I can stop flagging at the end. My aim was to maintain 8 min mile pace until last couple of miles then attempt to speed up. I have been training a lot (long runs (9 miles is my longest to-date) and tempo runs) but it hasn't improved things yet. Could it be in the mind ? Do I just need to grit my teeth and push harder ? I'm a 45 year old male - I hope I'm not passed it image

Split times :-

1 7:43   
2 8:16 
3 8:33 
4 8:22
5 9:06   
6 9:10 

Any advice welcome - thanks

Comments

• Dont start off to hard the first mile , if you want 8's start with an 8 first mile.I wouldnt start a run aiming to speedup at the end ,it rarely happens unless you are a very experienced runner or the course is downhill at the end.

Pick the pace you need and aim to run it all the way at that pace, maybe 5 secs faster to allow for a slight slowdown and tempo at this pace or maybe slightly faster.It takes time though ..

Looking at your splits 8:15 would have been a better pace to start out at and could have resulted in a faster time overall.

• It's hard to know whether it's a simple pacing error, i.e. you are going off too fast and will run a better, more even-paced race if you start more slowly ( as clearly your first mile of 7.34m/m is much faster than your target pace), or if is a combination of a pacing error and inadequate training, i.e. even if you started more slowly you still wouldn't be able to manage a sub-50 min 10k.  What sort of mileage were you doing in the build-up?  How many miles per week and what structure?  Had you done any other races, e.g. 5ks?

• try running a pace that you can easily maintain from 1 to 3 miles you were getting slower each mile the idea of speeding up for the last couple of miles doesnt sound very realistic i dont see many people managing that. if your not going well within yourself your not going to be able to maintain a steady pace 7.43 was to fast to start but getting pacing right is something that takes along time i still cant get it right

• Hi Joolska,

I have been running for about 10 weeks now, and I have gently increased my mileage each week. I have been sticking to a training schedule that has me running 5-6 days a week (2 days of 3 mile easy runs, 1 long run, 1 attempted 8 mile/min 5k, 1 easy 10k) - with the odd interval training day, so approx. 25-27 miles a week. Is there a particular basic weekly training schedule you would recommend ? I have only had 2 10k races, and in both I started too fast in the excitement. In the latest one I tried to slow my pace down, but it slowed too much going up an early incline and I couldn't seem to keep to my planned 8 mile / minute pace. I definitely have pacing issues that I hope can be resolved. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon. Thanks for your help and advice.

• I'd say if you really want to improve, then your training prior to the race is key. Both the distance you run, and the type of training that you do. When you train and prepare do you just 'run' or do you carry out a range of running workouts?

Also have you thought about working on your running form at all?

• Hi Freedom,

I have been sticking to a training plan which mixes fast pace 10Kruns, long slow runs, and shorter recovery runs.

I have just printed off a Hal Higdon's 10K training program which looks easy to understand, and I have seen recommended by other people on this forum, so I may use this program from now on.

I don't think I will run anymore races for a while until I have improved my fitness levels.

• Do run races its the best way to work out how to pace yourself especially parkruns where  you use them as a tempo rather than race them .image

• I'm also a huge fan of park run... Have a go

• Just did my first park run. Really enjoyed it. Finished in 23:15 which was better than i expected. So that means I can run a 10k in 46 mins !! ahh if only it were that simple image

• I enjoy the parkrun. Feels like a good workout ,it can be hard to motivate yourself to push hard on shorter runs. I find 10k a funny distance just a bit too far to really push hard. I'd try a modest first 3-4k then you can push on, as you feel more settled. 8:15, 8:10, 7:45, 7:45, 7:50, 8:00, 2:00. Sub 50 is do-able with your 5k time.

• Sorry, missed your reply.  If you've not been running very long the chances are that you simply lack the endurance base to run longer distances to your full potential.  Following any structured programme which builds your miles up gradually will lead to improvements.