Running on empty

Morning all,

I'm in the process of increasing my weekly mileage in preparation for longer distance races, and plan to get some early morning runs in before work.

I've found running immediately after food uncomfortable, and wondered if anyone has any advice on going out empty for 5 - 6 milers ?

Plan on getting up at 6ish & out between 6.30 - 7.00am.

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks guys .... and gals image

Comments

• stu jstu j ✭✭✭

as long as you stay hydrated & eat well the day before you should be fine running ' on empty' as it were. 

If you're struggling, you may want to eat something simple (such as a banana) as soon as you wake up and that will be enough time to process some before you head out the door.

• I couldn't better stu's answer.

If you've any doubts, just do a route that takes you close to home after about 4 miles, then you can duck out  if you have to...  but that's very unlikely IMO.

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Thanks Guys, I'll give it a go & see how I get on !

• If you're looking at longer distance i.e. marathon or longer then training early morning on an empty stomach will probably benefit you in the long run as your depleted glycogen levels will help promote fat burning. If you do this regularly and train your body to more readily access it's fat reserves, you can help prevent (or at least delay) the onset of bottoming out your glycogen levels come race day and hitting "the wall".

May feel weird/ uncomfortable even nauseous at first but stick with it and it will only help in the long run (no pun intended).

• Oh and +1 for good hydration as you loose alot of fluids as you sleep.

• Often I will have a bananna before I go out.

Nodster, can you not run at night? I've ran at all times of the night under street lights or with a headtorch. Better go for a run late at night then not at all.

• Won't be a problem. I've done ultras on no breakfast.
  • Hey all,

Thanks for all your comments.

I've been out on a few early .... and very cold .... runs without eating first & as many of you have said, it's been all good.

Felt fine on the run & great afterwards. Usually follow up with a superfood shake ..... natural yoghurt, milk, oats, blueberries etc etc

Keep on running image

• I maybe a bit late for this - but I run on empty the whole time - if I'm going more than about 7/8 miles I have a gel before I go - that seems to work.

I have noticed I won't get my best times then - but it's a good time to train.