Monday 30th September 2013

Morning! Just...and you will see why below!

Lyrics: I was born in the wagon of a travellin' show
My mama used to dance for the money they'd throw

Suspect that this would no longer be released! Not PC enough!

Anyway, my mother has been on holiday this week, and neighbours have been keeping an eye on the place, even taking milk in at 5 this evening. Between then and her returning at 8 the house was broken into. Don't blame the first two parts of the lyric title, but the third is definitely true! Police did not arive until 11, which I think is a poor show for an 83 year old lady on her own and with dementia. Three hours to arrive. She lives in a smallish village where there is almost no crime: last year it was one door mirror bent and one allotment door wrenched off its hinges! Suspect someone knew she was away.

What: may be a rest day
Why: may well have to drive to the East Midlands after a doc's appointment this pm.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were - Girl Who Got Away by Dido.

Sorry to hear about your mother Alehouse.

Blisters - I'm looking forward to the race with little time invested and running more in hope than expectation. I was considering binning my swim today in favour of a rest day but you've reminded me that I can't afford too much time out of the pool.

What:                 swim
    Why:                  recovery/taper
    Last hard:          13/9
    Last rest:            27/9

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning
    Ale - thats carp news about your mum's house, although the speed (or lack therof) of response doesn't surprise me given the clear up rate for domestic break ins. Public flogiing for house breakers.
    what - easy hour run if I get time
    why - need to build some miles up.
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - yesterday. Did get out for 5 miles, tried to push pace throughout, just over 35 mins so was quite pleased after 9 hours poolside.

lyric - possibly but not leaping out at me

• 3k swam.

run later.

Ale - sorry about the mother - My own is elderly and the worry of similar things is constant

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Sorry to hear about your mother Ale
    What: rest
    Why: taper and have the start of what feels like a cold
    Last hard: tapering
    Last rest: yesterday (did 10km on Sat)
    Lyrics: nope

Some good racing over the weekend Blisters. How's the ankle OH?  Glad you can do a bit of running Chick.

Not really sure what to do this week to keep my legs ticking over.  Thinking a 3 miler and maybe some hiking on Thurs.  Then rest until marathon day.  Does that sound crazy?

Have a good one all.

• Sorry to hear about your mum AH, not generally something we have to think about here.

(What and Last Hard)
    LSR done  - set out to do 20+ - actually ran out of steam at 20 mile mark and walked last 2 miles homeimage
    Lovely morning, mild and sunny if a tad breezy.
    Ankle ached throughout but OK now after bath.
    Trails now getting a bit overgrown and underused (winter mode)

(Why) Probably last sensible opportunity for a 20+ before Snowdonia on 26th - maybe time to begin slow taper.

Lyrics as usual, no idea

• Glad your ankle is no worse for the run OH.

emzap - I usually go for as little as I can get away with without going taper crazy and an hour as my longest run.

• Evening!

Well done on the long run OH and hope there are no repercussions ankle wise in the morning. Talking of Snowdonia, hope Wabo is on course for her attack on it!

What: rest
    Why: too tired. Didn't get to bed until one and then was phoned at 6.45 to say that a delivery of appliances for the new kitchen would be with me in 30 mins. Then started work on the kitchen and continued until 4.00. Then off for docs appointment. Routine check up e.g. blood pressure, peak flow (450, highest for some time for me), flu jab etc. Can't remember what a decent peak flow for a male in their late 50s is! Anyone know?

Thanks for the thoughts re mum. Most unusual for her village, as I said earlier. However I have heard that there have been 5 break-ins in 3 days: probably been less than that in the last 10 years!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ale - also dependent on height

Quick Google (as I'm not at work)
    PFR

These are US figures but appear about right.
    There is also a large personal variation (I can blow 650 on a good day and I'm about 5' 9.5"  (obviously not asthmatic)

• Thanks for that OH! Below what I should be at nearer 60 than not and at 5'6". I am mildly asthmatic and have a number of allergies, hence both inhalers and a daily anti-histamine.

• lyrics, yes, dead easy.

Sorry to hear about the burglary Ale, and I agree that it's a poor show from PC Plod.

OH, a good 20 bagged. I always view the disaster days as being of the most benefit, for those are the ones when you really did push to the edges of the endurance limit.

Despite the bashed knee yesterday I got the opportunity for a long run this afternoon. To be honest, my heart wasn't in it. Probably something to do with a glass too many last night. (I wasn't supposed to be at work today anyway). One reason for the afternoon slot. The programme in the head, along with the RW Forum Motivation Directors, dictated that I should be doing a long one this weekend. OK. Off we go, and pretend that we're going to do 16 miles. I know I need to do more.
    I divide it into thirds, which equate to quarters on race day. K.I.S.S.
    To begin with I was just out for a gentle run. That pretty much defines the first third. The pace was happy enough, possibly too happy for a long one. The Second Third (eh?) was where the mind went wandering. Tightness? Injuries? Physio? Doctor? Feel good or bad? However, I did note that my key points were hit on the money, if not they were early. I just kept wishing that the run was over. The final third is predominantly uphill. This goes one of two ways. Tits up or balls out. I've now got a mental game with the first (grind) hill. Do it Kenyan style, just count the lamp posts. 13, 14, or 15 depending on where you start. OK The top is pretty much peak HR for the run, but hey, it's the top. Yup, right until the next top. Or the final top. So, the head is finally in the game in the final part, and I realise that a season best for this run is a given. 21.7 in 2:55, ave 8:06m/m, and ave HR 132.
    Blisters is Back.

• Good running Blisters. 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Sorry to hear Alehouse, 

What - Club Run 5m
    Why - Its Monday
    Last hard - yesterday
    Last rest Tues and Weds last week
    Take care

• Clicked on this cos all excited to know the lyrics for a change, but very sorry to hear about the reason for them, alehouse.

No running for me today because my foot hurts.