MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• There is a possibility that sunday may actually be a bit hot (for the time of year).

Good job it starts at 9.

• forecast I am looking at says (for 10am-1pm) sunny spells, 62F, humid but no rain and an 8-11mph breeze from the south west.  If that could move round a bit to be from the south it would be well handy for the last few miles.  If it stays like that I'll be happy.

My target is to hang on to the 3:15 pacer for as long as possible - and bonus would be to leave him behind for the last mile or two.  I can dream.

• ..and it's going to be warm and sunny in the afternoon - just right for post marathon refreshments

• Yep beet shots for me, mark1981 i will sticking to Njord , look for the black and white of trawden ac I finally cracked 3 hours @ Manchester after 10 years and i started with a 3:09 

• Yeah I'll look out for you barlick. I think I'm wearing a bright blue vest and the same colour shoes. I'll be easy to spot because I'm about a foot shorter than everyone else! 

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Ran 2.59 in 1998 and it took me another 15 years and over 20 marathons to do it again this year in London (age 47).  I have never run this many miles before (80+ week) and weigh a stone less than London, so sub 2.55 (please). 

• Morning everyone..

Thought I'd just say hello.. Chester will be my first Marathon and I'm looking for a 3.30, which based on my training 'should' (he says with fingers crossed) be possible. But hey...I'm realistic and any time will be a PB. I am planning on tagging along with one of the pacers though.

Ed68..as for the tissues.. I carry a small pack, you know the pocket size ones wrapped in plastic with the little opening. I've taken them on may a long run and provided it's sealed they tend to be fine for clearing the snoz.

Good luck everyone with the last few days tapering.. and good luck for the run. I hope everyone has a great successful day.

Mark

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Mark  you will love this race   there  will be support   though all the villages we run though

• Ed....  I'm glad I have my uses.

This isn't like the London marathon. There will, I expect, be plenty of occasions where we're running through quiet places...  and with decent gaps between runners.

If you need to clear the snot, wait for such a place, do a big snort to get it in your throat, look around to make sure you're not going to gob on anyone, then spit it out.   I think that's acceptable in the circumstances.

Best check that you're not in front of the official photographer too.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Weather forecast: SCORCHIO!

• RK - any tips for dealing with wind (of the internal variety) in a discrete manner? image

•  

Eurk! I dont find that acceptable at all ! image

•  

Luverlylegs

Are those your own pins in the photo?

• I am not planning to run in these boots though image

• Mark C7: I know exactly what you mean and thought I may need some just in case of a Radcliffe.

RK: I drove around the course on Sunday and it seemed all roads and, if so, the residue would be there for all and I can't leave that. I'm actually unable to snort and spit anyway....has to be a hhhhmmmpphhh out of each nostril!

• This is my first marathon.just be happy to get to the start line.Training gone real well followed heal higdon plan exactly. Having big worries in my final few days ,I have 2 children one has a cold and the other has just got a vomiting bug.If I could run it now I would ,going round the house holding my breath.nearly washed my hands away.

If I get to the start line I will be amazed.   4 15 in mind.

• Can anyone who lives in Chester give me some parking advice?  We want to park near racecourse, walk to start area, then my husband go back to car - go off to Chester Golf Club to play golf  (!! don't ask - Golf?? ) - then come back, park, walk to finish area to meet me, walk back to car and drive home - southwards.  Is it doable without getting caught up in road closures??  Thank you.

• By Chester golf club do you mean Curzon Park? you could park there and walk to the start. If you park in any of the city centre car parks he wont be able to drive to the golf club without a long detour. If you cant actually park in the golf club early enough for the start of the race, you can paark in th e Curzon Park area on street no bother. 

after the race you can access the a55 then a51 then m6 southbound

i would ring the golf club and check.  PM  if you want any more info.

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. I've got Morton's Neuroma in both feet, training has been slightly lacking so it was never going to be pretty but due to running weirdly to try to hurt my feet less, I've pulled a few muscles around my hip/groin area. It's getting better - Sunday I could barely walk, now I can walk once I get going but I feel that my leg might give way if I put weight on it. Although when I do, it doesn't. 

I also have an appointment tomorrow where I may or may not be given cortisone injections in my feet. 

Although I'm stubborn. 

• Senor Spam... regards discretion when dealing with internal wind.

I genuinely cannot see the problem, when running a marathon, of leaving spit on the ground, so long as it is ejected disceetly.   [Do people also mop their sweaty brows to avoid tarmac contamination?]

But internal wind is a different matter. It is unacceptable to fart in the general direction of those behind you. Fortunately, the solution is simple. Sellotape a large empty sandwich bag around your "release valve". Ensure it is airtight, thus capturing foul gas.

It is a scientific fact that farts are lighter than air, so you get the added benefit of a bit of 'lift' for the remainder of the marathon, which can save you several minutes if you had bean curry the night before. This is within UK Athletics rules, as the gas has come from the runner (carrying helium balloons is illegal for obvious reasons). 

A final benefit, if the Sellotape is very securely bonded, is that in an emergency, it can save you a 5 minute trip to the portaloo at mile 20.

by the way... hard luck Nykie.  Play the long game. Don't take risks.

• Thank you Mr Puffy - have sent a PM

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Spitting and farting both fine in my books, just look behind beforehand. I've never been a spitter or snotter, no good at it...just dangles and then ends up on my tshirt. Farting on the other hand is absolutely necessary whilst running, although can affect your gait.

I have a lovely big ulcer on my tongue at the moment which hurts when I eat, so is limiting my food intake at the moment which is probably good. Hope it's gone by tomorrow so I can start stuffing myself.

8mi with 2@mp for me today. Do I wear my race day trainers and get them all wet and muddy?!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and sorry to hear about your injury Nykie...really don't think you should do it...save it for another day when you are fully recovered.

• Cheers Runny - some excellent advice there.  I'll be the one with the large empty sandwich bag at the start.   Today is 'dress rehearsal' 7m with 2m at MP so I'll give the bag a trial run and see how it goes. 

Weather still looking good for Sunday.

Nykie, that sounds very painful - and incredibly frustrating to happen so close to the race.  Sounds like 26 miles could be pretty uncomfortable - not sure that I would risk it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, weather looking spot on.

• Last 50 min run done with 2 x 10 @ mp.....bit of confidence in that I am no longer feelinh so nauseous and think I will be able to eat now! Grandchildren have "slap face" virus so keeping my distance!

• senor spam...  I'm not sure how you'll cope with the sandwich bag on the trial run.. as it is impossible to attach properly by yourself.

I always ask my fellow runners to Sellotape it on for me whilst killing time at the start line. But these runners are a competitive lot... they always decline to help - presumably because they don't want to help me get that advantage over them.  Some of them even get abusive, and it's people like that who are spoiling our sport.

• I'm beginning to regret this ridiculous persona I've adopted in the last couple of posts image

I am, from now, back to normal !

• Mroning all, hope you are all having a good morning.

Getting really real now, a bit nervous but looking forward to it.  One quick question, what time do you guys think I need to get to racecourse to get a parking space? I have a 2 hrs + drive to Chester.