Can this work?

I'm trying to design a training schedule that fits my lifestyle and just wanted to see what some of you runners think of it! Will it work?

My Requirements:

Most weeks I will play tennis for 1 hour, (I need to pick a day with my tennis partner, it can be Mon-Thu) and Parkrun 5k timed runs, (these will always be on a Saturday). I'm also trying to incorporate some strength training to reduce possible injuries and help general fitness. Ideally I'd like to do my long runs on a Sunday too. 

My Goal:

To finish a half marathon in under 1 hour 45 in March next year. I've completed two so far this year with times of 1 hour 52 then 1 hour 50. 

My Schedule:

Mon = Rest

Tues = Recovery run: 25 min jog to the gym, then legs strength at the gym then 25

min jog home

Wed = Upperbody strength training then 1 hour tennis

Thu = Tempo run

Fri = Rest

Sat = Parkrun

Sun = Long run

I'm not looking at running times and distances yet. I want to work out what to do on what day first. I will of course increase this over time. So does this shedule look like a it could work?? I love to run with a shedule by the way, If I don't have a shedule and a goal I simply won't do it! Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• How does it compare to what you've done in the past to get to 1hr 50.

You'll need to run more or train better in order to improve.
  • I would run a steady 30-40 min run on Monday and skip the run home after the gym and steady run Tuesday . 

However cougie spot on saying about comparisons . It has to be a progression on what you have done or doing in order to improve 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • I would also switch the leg/arm days around -if you ran Monday otherwise your running to the gym and working on legs - then your basically missing out on 3 days with no proper running only a recovery run.. 

post above I mean switch the 25 jog to a 30-35 min steady and do arms  instead.... 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • My 2 cents

A recovery run after a rest day seems like a waste. I would make it Easy or Steady - but them perhaps you are loaded down with gym kit?

A tempo run plus a park run seem to amount to the same thing. I would drop one and increase the volume of easy running.

• Hey thanks for the responses. cougie I have been following the Bupa beginners then Intermediate half marathon programmes which are always the following...

Mon: Rest day
    Tue: Easy/recovery run
    Wed: Tempo run
    Thu: Rest day
    Fri: Speed
    Saturday: Rest
    Sun: Long

So the changes are: Swapping Friday speed to 5k race on Saturday, Wednesday and Thursday are swapped and added tennis in!

Also-ran:

Recovery run after the rest day because of the long run on a Sunday? I could do the recovery run on the Monday but then would I recovery in time? Tempo runs would be not as fast as the Parkruns, but longer distance.

• How about the following...

Monday - 45 mins recovery. 5 to 6 miles ish?

Tuesday - Strength training, upper and lower body, stretching. I'd imagine you're not looking to bulk up so shouldn't be a prob doing all on one day.

Wednesday - Tennis... don't worry about anything else, just enjoy your game.

Thursday - 8 to 10 miles easy. General aerobic training.

Friday - rest or a recovery (as per Monday), depends on how you feel

Saturday - Park run or 6 miles with strides easy pace

Sunday - Long run

Looks balanced... I think. And you could swap Tennis with Thursday if need be and get away with it. Keeps Park run in the mix to...

I'm an advocate of recovery runs... just slow but helps you 'recover' for the next tough session. Just rest instead if you don't feel up for it.

Hope my 2p helps.

• 20 - 30 mins at a tempo pace (threshold pace) at this stage would be plenty.  Racing a parkrun everyweek before  one of the most important sessions isn't ideal (notice where Bupa put the rest days in the original plan). I would  follow up every hard session with an easy session, or recovery session.

Recovery runs are very relaxed affairs, and great for shaking off any stifness from a long run. 

• Stoneacre - looks good but slightly too much for me atm, (6 days training...I'm use to 4 and don't want to do more than 5) Also, I like to go to gym straight from work so will have 1 hour of gym time before tennis!!

Also-ran - I agree with what you're saying about a Parkrun before the long run, so thinking of moving the long run to Monday, so with this in mind I've thought of the following....

Mon - Long run

Tue - Rest

Wed - Treadmill work (hills+speed) and upper strengh while I wait for tennis

Thu - Easy run (8-10 miles)

Fri - Rest (find it hard to train on Fridays too)

Sat - Parkrun / lower strengh @ gym

Sun - Easy run (less than Thu)

This seems pretty well balanced and should suit me down to the ground. Tbh I'm probably thinking too much about this and just need to go out and do it and see what happens :P