Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Far too much activity far too early today.Good paces though guys. Nice track session Dean.

That was exactly my point Johnas! Your 3 x 20min at Tempo would probably kill me, though I should make a better pacing effort for it. Good work though, very impressive.

I left my 3km recovery (cut short due to my over conservative weekly distance limit) until after 8am. Achilles fine today. Calves and quads complaining.

The Vets amongst us should take heart of the study heard on the radio today. Only 20% of people do the recommended excerise. I imagine the RW forum probably acounts for 80% of that...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - i didnt have to tell him he could see for himself, i still have the medals around my neck ....i suppose i should take them off soon, is a fortnight about right ? image

in order to think about the docs advice to reduce my mileage i did an 8m at 7mm pace during lunch.  No rain but very windy

• My concern with the doc is that my paternal grandfather died when he was in his 30s of a major heart attack. My father had 5 way bypass at the age of 56 (he went in for a scheduled insurance check-up and the next thing my Mum got a call and was told to bring his PJs in as he wasn't going home as the ticker was abut to stop). I hope to dodge the bullet but my genetics are no good. I am the classic "underlying causes" just waiting to happen.

Saw the dentist today. He said my teeth were good but a bit of scale build up which looked like 6 months worth. Last time I saw the dentist the year started with a 1 so I take that as a positive outcome and will have the scale cleaned and revisit in 2026 (in fact, may make it 2065 to celebrate my 60th).

• Good luck Phil. Maybe you should eat an apple everyday?

I have a similar disposition/aversion to dentists. I went a 12 year spell between dentist visit.
    At the last visit I was told that all was good and to book back in again in 6months. Why I asked myself. That was maybe 2005?

Quads still moaning throughout the day. 2x6min above threshold on the bike after a WU spin.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Always depressing looking at your family medical history (well mine anyway!). But then I think about how little exercise my parents did and like most of their generation, what crap they ate, and how they used to smoke like troopers it's not surprising they had the problems they did! Amongst her many medical issues, my mother had a heart bypass in 1977 (3rd in the country I think) but still held on for another 36 years after that!

Dentists! Grrr, don't get me started.....

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Decent morning runs guys. Nice track session too Dean. 

Forgot you asked about the Marathon talk podcast Bus, just Google it, bit late in your marathon build up to start listening though!

Back running as normal as groin strain subsiding steadily. Only a few days lost. Doing gym work now couple of mornings a week, should keep me busy over winter.

Did you mean 5:28min/mile for those 20min reps Johnas or 5:38? If its the former that's rapid!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, genetics play a part but if your father and grandfather weren't distance runners then I wouldn't worry too much. Half my family seems to identify themselves by their illnesses and it pisses them off no end that I'd rather run 80 miles (currently half that) per week, than join them at club hospital.

Dentists. I go every six months. Not much to do these days though I did go through a patch of crowns & root canal treatment that; I assume, paid for most of my current practitioners 'beamer'.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm fortunate to come from a family of distance runners on my dad's side. Still not as fast as my bloody uncle was.

Ha ha, I'm loving Johnas's weekly breakthrough track session. 4,30 mile reps by Christmas?

3 x 2 mile reps on the track tonight. 10:55, 10:50, 10:46 off 800 recoveries so approximately 5:27 pace

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ran the first too with TippTop, but he decided to stretch his legs on the last one and ran off into the sunset. Still, pleased with a fast threshold outing, and tghat the pace increased throughout.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ha ha! Dachs, a common misconception among guys whose kids are wonderful runners, "See my lad? he's got my running genes".

Er, no he hasn't, he's got his mothers running genes, we all have.

Mitochrondrial Dna. Only down the mothers side.

🙂

• I'm looking at a new pair of racers. I always wear Nike Air Pegasus and have never had a pair of Nike racers. Anyone race in Nike and if so which and how do you rate them? The Nike Zoom Streak seem to be good up to marathon but I am not sure if  I am good enough.

You should choose these if you’re a fast, elite runner concerned predominantly with weight. Unless you’re very light, these aren’t for you if you run a marathon outside 2:45, or 1:30 for a half.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, ran my last London marathon in a pair of Nike Luna Racers. Seemed ideal so bought another two pairs which didn't seem as good. One pair ended up in the bin after a few bits got cut out of them. The other pair remain new and un-used in a box somewhere. A present for someone if they want. UK 7.5

Asics for me. Or New Balance for ultra lightweight.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

any questions on Nike then Stevie See is your man,  he is a walking billboard!   i liked them but they were too narrow for my trotters so i went for asics in the end.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

mtDNA is inherited through the female line Ric, but that's only one part of our genetic make-up that influences running ability.

Philip - I like the Adidias Adios, and will shortly be able to tell you how they were in a marathon....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I assume you're talking about bio-mechanics.

That's all a guy can add to the mix; the chassis. Mum supplies the engine and transmission.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I assume you're talking about bio-mechanics.

That's all a guy can add to the mix; the chassis. Mum supplies the engine and transmission.

🙂

• Did someone mention Nike?! image

I've had 3 versions of the Lunaracers and I can vouch for them. They are very springy due to the foam cushioning. They'd be absolutley fine for a marathon. I'm in Nike Flyknit racers at the moment which are amazing but they don't give enough protection or cushioning for a marathon. As for the zoom streak, they appear to be the 'non flyknit' version of my shoe. So again, I'd be thinking they are a bit too lightweight for a mara. I'm getting some Lunaracer 3s when the Flyknits clock another 200 miles. They just feel better for road racing.

TRACK TUESDAY

3min, 4min, 5min, 5min, 4min, 3min @ 10K pace.

Tonight will be 10min tempo, 10 x 1min @ 3K. Then the Northern XC relays in Sheffield on Saturday.

Dachs, great session, 3 x 2 miles in NEVER easy. Those paces look mighty sharp too.My mate, every marathon build up does 4 x 2miles and swears by it. Says it's the one session that shows him he's ready. The only thing I'd be ready for after that is hospital! image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, I wasn't aware that there was anything approaching scientific consensus on how much is due to genetics in distance running, let alone who those genes actually come from?  I can pretty safely say that I have inherited my body shape, which must be a factor, from my father's side more than my mother's. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

vote for Adios here too and I know SG uses them too. 

And on the subject of shoes, I did tuesday's tempo in a new pair of Saucony Ride 6s that I'd put a few miles in over the last few weeks but a track session was a step too far it seems.

They've left me not only with blisters on both feet and 2 toes, but some tendonitis in my lower right leg so no running for me today or tomorrow. Just hope it comes good for Sunday.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

btw, nice sessions Dachs and SS image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Now that I've mentioned bio-mechanics, I'm currently in the process of getting my feet and calf muscles do do some real work. I had the feeling that when I did my run around Aldershot, it was a bit too flat-footed. Not surprised really due to all the slow running I'd done.

So a week ago I cast the trainers aside and started wearing just race shoes, and this morning I tried out a pair of New Balance minimus. They seem to be like spikes but without the pointy bits. 

Results are promising so far. Tried a couple of long strides lasting around a minute and; for the effort expended, was puzzed by the numbers on the Garmin when I finished. 

One said 5:26 the second one 5:01. Hmm, just need to do around 30 of those back to back then.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs 3*2m is the session im trying to build to for my 10k in nov.  it is said that whatever pace you can do those in is your likely race pace.   great session 5.27 pace is moving

ss - good session as well. a nice sharpener before the relays

• /members/images/634380/Gallery/Cheshire2.jpg

300m to go in Cheshire 10k working to break 34 mins sharp left turn approaching and 200m of gravel!!image 33.49 result image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

you dont look your age in that photo rob image....can tell you are flying again

• Dean I felt my age image, I struggled k's 8 and 9 but when realised could go under 34 did a strong last k image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I know both the lads behind you quite well, the lad just behind you, Nick, was the lad who gave me a gel when descending Ben Nevis and I'm mates with the lad in the background, Shaun LIvesey. 

Small world. 

• Tried the zoom streaks on today and they didn't fit but the lunar racers did. UK 7.5 is me so ricF if that looks like an offer I can't refuse. if you can find them give me a shout or PM/email.

robT, love the running with the eyes closed look, my standard pose.

I am pacer at parkrun on Saturday. Pacing 22 minutes so obviously do the first 2 km at 3:30 pace, but then do I do even 5, 5, 5 for the last 3 or stagger it 4, 5, 6?

• I raced my last marathon in Nike flyknit racers. My favourite pair from my 15 pair collection. I thought they offered enough support and I'm a fairly large runner at 6ft 2 and 75kg. Just taped up my toes with leukotape to avoid blisters. No problem at all on the day or afterwards.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Right with you Phil. The shoes are yours. I have them right here, and in the original box.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/shoes.png

I'm planning to be at Black Park but on Sunday for a race not a run if you know what I mean.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'll see you there then Ric (or at least you're back as you vanish inot the distance!)

As for genes - as far as I can tell, you are right Dachs - nothing proved for definite overall, but plenty of theories. mtDNA for the engine, mixed with biomechanics, body shape etc must all play a part, but then there's a million and one other genetic traits that will surely come into play - including pyschological factors such as competitiveness, tendency to OCD etc etc etc!

Nice pic that Rob - doing us vets proud on the looks as well as the results image