Training on same/different days

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been discussed; I didn't see any thread to that effect but there are so many, I might have missed it.

I will be running my first marathon next year in London. I don’t know if I should laugh or cry!

Obviously the event is on a Sunday, so it would make sense to do my long runs also on Sundays. However, for practical reasons, it would suit me better to do those long runs on Saturdays. On D-day, would it matter? If I do every single long run on a Saturday during training, would my body react differently/badly to running on Sunday instead on marathon day? Would it be better to try and vary Saturdays and Sundays during training?

Any thought appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Your body doesn't really care what day it is.

It's probably a good idea to try and run at about the same time that you'll be racing at - just so your body clock is onboard with it.

I always long run Saturdays anyway - and if the weather is awful you still have a possibility of running on Sunday if you need to.
  • It won't make a jot of difference Valerie.....

the time of day might make a difference..........if you were to always do your long run at 4 am or 6 pl then it might be harder to know how to fuel up for a 10 am start.........and also the temperature can make a difference.if you were to always run at 4 am in winter in the cold and we get a heat wave in april.....#

but saturday will be fine for the long run ......

enjoy

• Agree that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Neither does the time of day really (unless your elite). Only you can learn how to fuel your body and that will come with a bit of practice.

• Great news. Thanks a lot for your feedback.