Raising Sponsorship

Has anyone pledged to raise a certain amount for a charity and then not met the target?

Just wondering what course of action the charity took if any to get the remaining amount. I've always met my fundraising goals but I'm sure this question plays on many of our minds.

Thanks

Comments

• You can't be forced to pay the difference legally, but they may pressure you to do so. Its a tax thing - so they place is for a donation - not say sold for ??2k or whatever.

If you didn't raise enough you could always do a different (free) activity later in the year and ask for more sponsorship ?
  • Whatever the legal side is ...i think you are morally bound to make up the difference yourself.......as otherwise someone else could have had that place and obtained the full amount.......if you don't make it up then you are basically taking the money straight from those people who need it..nothing much different to stealing.

so if you have doubts about making the target and are not prepared to pay for any shortfalls you might have then do not take the place in the first place......

• I disagree with Seren, partly because the amounts are sometimes ridiculously high - c£2000 at the London Marathon for example. I think most of them are happy if you can show you made a decent fist of it. They do keep black lists of people who take charity places with no intention of raising anything, but those people are few and far between. I am also led to believe that the instances of charities pressurising people to make up the difference are rare.

• I still disagree peter.........there are lots of people willing to raise it........so if you aren't prepard to do it then don't deprive the charity of that money.it is much needed.....

yes they are high because there is enough people willing to do the fundraising required...

If you go into a shop and think that an item is over priced.you don't just steal it and then leave the money you think its worth...you pay it or you leave it

• I made up the shortfall for London this year and yes £2000 is a big ask, but I signed up to it, so felt obliged. I'm glad I chose a charity that had previously supported my family as that made it feel ok about it. 

• I feel uncomfortable with the bond process. It limits choice on what people do for which charity and it corners the market on marathon places and somewhere along the lines people are making money out of it.

Also runners who are hell bent on doing these big events are losing friends and annoying folks by perpetually badgering for big donations / come to my gala night / guess what time I finnish raffle.

I am a charitable person, everytime I get a pay increase I set up a monthly charity dd (or increase and existing one) and give a small % away. I have also vowed that my first HM and first Marathon I will really try to go big on fundraising. However I will do it on my own terms and not go for bond places.