Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Ric, looks great. I need to have a scratch head and work out a plan and at the moment I am thinking of jogging down to Black Park Sunday am and catching a ride back with bus but will have to firm that one up. If not, can you pass them onto bus and that way they get a lot closer to my house. Thank you muchly.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is a cool relic from our evolutionary past. Instead of just two copies per cell like our chromosomes, our cells have thousands of copies of mtDNA.

And unlike the rest of our DNA, mtDNA is found outside of the nucleus. It also passes from mom to kids; in fact, dad's is destroyed right after an egg is fertilized!

This weird DNA is found in little compartments in our cells called mitochondria. A mitochondrion's job is to make energy for the cell. Why would the cell's "powerhouse" have its own DNA?

Because it used to be a creature living on its own. Or at least that is what scientists believe.

Scientists think that a long time ago, our ancestors absorbed the mitochondrion's ancestor. Working together, this duo took over the world.

But in the process, the mitochondria took a beating. Most of their DNA is now found in the nucleus of the host cell (although different species have mitochondria with differing amounts of DNA). The mitochondria can no longer live on its own -- it is a hollow shell of what it once was.

And this hollow shell passes only from mother to child. Of course dad has mitochondria too, but for a couple of reasons kids almost never get them from him.

The first reason is that the egg is way bigger than the sperm meaning that it has a whole lot more mitochondria. This means that when the egg and sperm combine, the egg's mitochondria swamp out the sperm's.

But this isn't good enough for the egg. The egg actually marks sperm mitochondria for destruction and gets rid of them. The end result of all of this is that we get our mtDNA exclusively from our mothers.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Phil. Just digging out some proof that has cheered up no end of mothers whose OH has dragged them to some race to watch his offspring demonstrate his inate athletic ability.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, I may well decide on a shorter excusion at BP on Saturday, depends on how tomorrow pans out.

🙂

• Nice 10km Rob.

I can't quote Ric:

Now that I've mentioned bio-mechanics, I'm currently in the process of getting my feet and calf muscles do do some real work. I had the feeling that when I did my run around Aldershot, it was a bit too flat-footed. Not surprised really due to all the slow running I'd done.

Most of my recent running has been slow. I have a sore LH ball of foot. This week I ran in my racers for my 2x20min, and tonight ran in my usual trainers for what turned out to be a fast easy image. Going faster I really notice landing on the outside of my feet. Minimal ball of foot pain. Interesting.

PMJ - I would assume a pacer would be even pace throughout (maybe I missed your smiley?), but you raise an interesting point about a 5km pacing strategy.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

12*800 target 5.13mm pace off 2 min rec.   was windy again but managed to hit every rep bang on target.  Happy with that.  

• Great session Dean which 10k are you targeting?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob - Leeds abbey dash,  are you in?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice session Dean.

Ric - that quote is very true, but still only accounts for the mitochondrian inheritance traits. important a they are, they aint the whole shooting match....

You could put an 8L Bugatti Veyron V16 in a Talbot Horizon and it would still drive like a piece of shit!

iron - does it feel like bruising or something deeper in the foot?

• Iron, there was an implied smiley.

• Or to misquote Bus, you can't polish a turd. Apparently they can be bronzed though.

Yes, feels bruising deeper under the ball of the foot. Rest and faster running definitely makes it better than slow running. Almost nothing there tonight,

PMJ thought so. It's been a long day.

• Dean not this year I'm away on a boozy do the weekend before in Germany and not back until Tuesday before so no plans to race after poor prep! I may do Telford but not decided yet!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I will (possibly) read back later, but for now, pleased to get a 5m MP run in today in a 10mile run, 5.58 average. Just slightly above the top end MP zone, and felt fairly nice compared to last time, which in fairness seems ages back now.

Probably a good thing too, as i'm sure there will be plenty of Mp ahead, not to mention the classic MP/HMP sessions.

Starting to get fit again now, 68mile week this week, with this one session. It's building again.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As with most days this week, a couple of miles warming up my calf muscles by forcing myself to run on the balls of my feet. Then a couple of miles worth of faster running.

From distances from between 250 and 800m paces varied from 5:30min ml down to 4:40's. Garmin indicated that most of the time on the longer sections I was operating at 5:15's.

So, 10 or 12 easy miles per day for weeks on end got me one type of result. Since now I want a different result, I now do something that is clearly different.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not much chance of a re-match for me from Staines then Ric image. Sounds like you'll be low 35:xx?

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of race I have on Sunday. I've put in lots of miles recently but done virtually no speedwork since early July, 

Double today, with a few fartleks at the end of tonight's to get a bit of leg turnover. Legs are pretty heavy at the mo, after Wedensdays' effort adn being only a fw days into the taper. Rest tomorrow, and on Sunday I intend to do 2 or 3 miles MP after the race (if the legs are up to it that is!).

Nice ten miler there Stevie!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(just read it back..clearly I meant the 5mile spell was at 5.58 average...not the whole 10)

Ric, was that month after month of 12s every day just for that relay? No wonder you were gutted!

Good luck to the Slough 10kers. A most bizarre course, a slight overall descent, but that 1km in the middle being fairly inclining brings a slowing to proceedings.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, nice marathon pace. Marathon pace starts feeling a whole lot less comfortable when you're faced with the prospect of running it for 26 miles though.

Like PMJ, I am pacing parkrun tomorrow. I'm pacing 18 minutes, so should be a decent workout without needing to push too hard. Using Phils approach, maybe i'll start with a 2:45 km.

• Good sessions SG, Ric and Bus.

Dachs, I saw your parkrun was pacing this weekend. If it wasn't for such a hard week I'd be there right behind you. Honestimage.

• Dachs, odd that people need pacing to 18. I am now down for 21 or 22 and that is towards what I think the upper limit is. To pace to 18 you need someone who is probably 18:15 or faster and those people tend to be self driven anyway.  I guess it is really about holding it back a bit at the start so there is something left for the last 2 ks.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

agreed, why the pacing for an 18min 5k?! At a parkrun, that's pretty likely to be top 10 at least!

• Good miles there SG. When I am doing 68 mile weeks and sub 6 for tempo  I classify that as flying. I have done 53 in the last 6 days and about 9 tomorrow will see me to 62 in 7 days so getting back into the swing of it.

Best part of 14 at lunchtime. Sometimes it helps to stand back and look as these sort of threads do not represent reality very well. I went through 13.1 today in 1:37 and that would have put me in the top 200 in the race I did on Sunday (out of almost 4000 so top 5%).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

60+ in my eyes is always a good mileage, so that's tidy enough yourself

The M man himself said it was time to re-start the "Proper" training after the Victory 5.

So it's gone 54,64,68

Steady as the main session last week, MP this week.

In time I expect we'll have top end mileage but with 2 quality sessions. Blocks of that are when you really start feeling fit.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

There are a few regulars in the 18:10 zone who havent gone sub 18 yet. One of my clubmates is intending to follow me round. If not I shall just pootle around on my own. Nothing lost.

• I have 5 runs at Black park between 18:15 and 18:10 and then an 18:06 and 18:04 so I may have to enlist your help there one day. Nailed sub 18 first time out at Bushy.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

My mileage for the last 7 weeks - 10- 19 - 7 - 17 - 1.5 - 36 - 37. 

Very depressing. Was thinking of racing a 10k on Sunday to gauge where I'm at but not sure it's wise. The better option is probably building my mileage back up again with some steady running and trying to add some sessions. 

Did 6 x 1000 on Thursday. Bloody hurt and now so do my calves. image 

nice MP run there SG.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, know the feeling. Here's an example of one of my typical 'off' years, circa 2004.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/notes.png

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, does that say you did a 33.56 10k after what looks like about 50miles over 3/4month!

What happened that year?

And Matt, I hope those 30+ weeks are the last 2 just gone, as that looks more positive then?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit more upbeat after seeing that Ric! Ha. 

Yes SG, the last two weeks have been the 30s although any sort of session leaves my soleus muscles screaming at me. Been stretching and using the foam roller so hopefully they'll ease. They did last week and then Thursdays session put me back to square one. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

best of luck with that. all I know is what can feel a real disaster one minute can ease pretty quickly.

to cheer yourself up, I recommend a visit to the "team gb" thread over on general. An epic late night face off!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Day off yesterday and 6 in 44 mins today.  Felt flat,  55m this week which is massive for me, with a  Xc race and 2 10k volume sessions at 5.13 pace so it's little wonder if I'm tired.image