Talkback: Is sitting the new smoking?

I really disagree with this artical. I used to have a very active job as a tyre fitter and was on my feet all day. I was so unfit and overweight I developed type 2 diabetes. Ichanged jobs to work behind a desk in the civil service, and no exercise on a regular basis and have lost lots of weight, got my bmi right down, and now nearly cleared my diabetes, well its completly under control. So my question is, if was so unfit doing a very active job, and now do a desk job with exercise, how am I much healthier?

I understand it will be the exercise i do, which is coupled with healthy eating that has changed my body and health, and not the job I do. So please people if you lead a healthy life, eat well and exercise on regular basis, ignor this artical.

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

answer to the question?

No.

• What rubbish.  People in wheechairs are, by definition, sitting down the entire time but I'd wager Dave Weir and Hannah Cockroft are way fitter than me.

• You need to re-read the article and re-think your argument. No one is suggesting that sitting - by itself - is going to kill you, or  that not sitting - by itself - constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Obviously, what you do, or don't do, in the rest of your life matters a lot. All this article is arguing is that sitting for too long is bad for you. Nothing in what you have written contradicts that claim. 

• i sugest you re read the artical especially this

"‘We were very surprised that even the highest level of exercise did not lead to a reduced time spent sitting,’ says study author Professor Marc Hamilton. In fact, regular exercisers may actually make less effort to move outside their designated workout time. Research this year from Illinois State University, US, found that people are about 30 per cent less active overall on days when they exercise versus days they don’t hit the road or the gym. Maybe they think they’ve worked out enough for one day. But experts say most people simply aren’t running, walking or even just standing enough to counteract all the harm that results from sitting for eight or nine – or even 10 – hours aday."

it clearly points to the sitting and exericse having a link. the days i do not exercise, and i am sure many that do, take their rest days, as rest days, which would mean more sitting. this allows the body to repair itself and get ready to exercise again. i am further sure many would point to not resting as the road to injuries and overworking the body. the first part mentions people who do exercise, then the second part of the paragraph goes completely to the other end of the scale and mentions research regarding people who do not exercise at all.

i take your point that sitting is not the main think which will cause health issues, however, this article is pointing to a direct link to each other, and as the point made earlier, how do you account for people who are wheekchair users?