Camelbak's banned for NY and another Marathon

2»

Comments

•  ... and knives

.... and signs over 11" x 17"  which will avoid some massive papercuts

• Getting worried over nothing. There us a UPS Ship It Home available from the start, so any weapons and dangerous signs taken to the start can be shipped straight back to your home. You just don't have the right to bear arms for 26.2 miles.

• Anyways the liquids thing is rubbish. I had a 300ml bottle of water in my backpack on a plane recently going through dubai. Forgot all about it, went through 2 different scanners in dubai, no-one said a thing.

I didnt even know till I arrived in Australia and saw it there and realised it had been through 2 scans with no-one questioning it.

• bloody hell, I would let the Daily Mail know that that sort of thing is going on.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

good move. nobody needs a camelbak in a road race with water available every mile

• So ban everything that you don't think is necessary? How is that a good move Goober?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

i dont know if thats a question or an answer

• The question mark is the clue Goober. If you ban things on the grounds that YOU don't think it is necessary then where do you stop? Names on shirts? Mile markers? How about medals at the end? 

• I think this is ridiculous and also odd focussing on runners in a marathon rather than backpacks or bags of the gazillions of people in a crowd.

Also the comments from those who don't run with camelbaks and think they are unnecessary are not helpful and miss the point. It's simply preference. I run with a camelbak because I sip here and there and that's what I'm used to. I can't drink well at water stations anymore. That doesn't mean my training is weird or I run "wrong", it's just what I like and I am used to. Everybody has their own "rituals", particularly in a marathon. For some I know, that means running in a tutu..

• Hambag, it is this thread that is focusing on the camelbaks - there are much wider security measures happening for NY than just those affecting the runners. Runners who need to sip all the way around have many  other options such as waist packs, including camelbak flasflo, and had been given several weeks to sort themselves out. For spectators and runners entering any venues, the measures in place seem similar to those we had for the Olympics.

• Thanks Also-ran, I think the thread was started by some wondering about the logic of this ban which I also commented on.

I also observed that there seemed to be some views expressed that those who used csmelbaks not needing it and I expressed a different view.

I was horrified at the Boston attack. However the responses to terrorist attacks don't always seem proportionate or logical nor do they seem to be those that will be effective. That attack came from the crowd. Precluding one common form of running attire/equipment seems unhelpful and unlikely to be a significant mitigation against others.

Anyway good luck to those training for NYC.
  • Agree with the bag. If a terrorist want to pass a bomb through a camelback they can pass it on the street. It's run on the street. Are they going to check every person watching on the street? If a marathon is a soft target then so be it but then again no more a soft target than a shopping precinct. 

• Responses are never proportionate. Particularly in America land. How many cinemas have you walked into that security screened you? Hmmmm...... 200 people all in a confined space with 2 maybe 3 doors to get out. What could possibly go wrong? all of these measures are just so they can be seen to be doing something.

• I started the thread, and it was pretty much along the lines of why!! it just seems OTT yes you don't need a camelbak in NY but the other race mentioned doesn't look like It has drinks every mile.

also well if someone is set on doing wrong do they really think that stoping runners from wearing backpacks will  make the difference. 

Just seems to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, or whatever the quote is.

• To be fair Booktrunk, drinks every mile is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It is  hyponatremias wet dream (see what I did there) image

• AR: I don't disagree but two wrongs don't make a right .

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Sussex runner.please  Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say to ban everything,  You Decided to invent that particulare extrapolation. 

I just commented (sarcastically) on how excessive I think camelbak are in this Kind of race. Which they are. 

Thank you. 

• It appears pets are banned as well.

Presumably in response to the appalling hamster-based atrocities which seem to fill the newspapers these days.
  • If i was running in the new york marathon I would probably try to test out the expo security by smuggling in a ferret or two.

They've never been to Yorkshire. They'll never suspect.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Guess that rules Freddy Starr out of the elite group eh. 

• You don't ban something on the basis of it being unnecessary. The question is whether it is threat to security. I-pods are banned on the grounds of health and safety(rightly or wrongly). Not because they aren't necessary. As some people have said earlier, you could ban Rhino suits etc on the same grounds. So where do you stop?

• It wasn't banned due to being neccessary / unnecessary. Right or wrong it is a security measure (and I was expecting bigger overreactions than the additional measures they announced). 

ps Rhino outfits are most definitely banned under the security measures image

Runners used to camelbaks need to use the 20+ drinks stations, or use a fuel belt. No word yet on the ruling for 'comfy blankets'

• I know why they banned it Mr ran. But do you think there is an Al Qieda chief with his little finger in the corner of his mouth thinking his plot is now foiled due to the camelbak ban? 

• +2 SR

(can we get a +3 from anyone)

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

It probably is excessive (talking about the ban now, not the item itself). I suspect it's more to to do with the organisers being under pressure to 'do something' than anything else. 

• Wonder if the insurance got involved! Probably not, but i am  curious image

• +4

I think our AQ friends will be buying up camelbaks on ebay as we speak for future use, laughing to themselves about how the West is being made to suffer by drinking from bottles and cups. Masterstroke

I think the banning of the costumes comes straight from that investigative documentary "4 Lions"

As for the 11" x 17" signs, any fool who watched Blue Peter as a kid knows about the dangers of cardboard.