Dublin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Jim your spot on...i did a half last sunday in 1.40 followed by 3 training runs midweek and done my last 20 today and my body is aching...felt the pain last 2 mile..i for one definately need to rest up and adhere to the taper from here in...
  • I did the Kilcock Kilomarathon today and I was hoping for 2:25 (around 5:30Km Pace)   but I seemed to be very comfortable and was doing 5:20 pace which is my MP - The Course was very hilly with a real stinker of a hill at 8 Km that just went up and up. I got to 13.1 in 1:10:10 and still felt comfortable but at 19Km my legs were like lead but I was there in 1:41 but it took me 46 minutes to do the final 7.2 with a walk run strategy - One way to look at it was that I got a good run at Marathon Pace but the other side of the coin was how quick I faded - Taper madness will kick in nowimage

• Jim do you include any speedwork into your training schedule in the next 3 weeks? Was planning on one more tempo this week and then strictly marathon pace in all other runs leading up to big day? Undecided....
  • Yes but shorter duration - last year I did my 10 km runs at shun MP in the last few weeks and all of my shorter sessions

• BrackenBracken ✭✭✭

Hi Guys -have not posted in some time as suffered a MCL knee injury and put me out for weeks and still recovering!!- so unfortunately cant run Dublin. Could not bring myself to look at this forum as still gutted...............

Anyway the count down is on for you all so good luck, run well, be strong, trust in your training and enjoy image ......................

Hopefully see some of you for Dublin 2014

• I probably won't be back for 2014 as it's costing me quite a bit to come over. But then again I am coming on Friday and flying back on Wednesday!

Am really looking forward to having a bit longer in Dublin than my last trip (not for the marathon) - just one full day.

• I did the Kilcock Kilomarathon today and I was hoping for 2:25 (around 5:30Km Pace)   but I seemed to be very comfortable and was doing 5:20 pace which is my MP - The Course was very hilly with a real stinker of a hill at 8 Km that just went up and up. I got to 13.1 in 1:10:10 and still felt comfortable but at 19Km my legs were like lead but I was there in 1:41 but it took me 46 minutes to do the final 7.2 with a walk run strategy - One way to look at it was that I got a good run at Marathon Pace but the other side of the coin was how quick I faded - Taper madness will kick in nowimage

• this is my home-city marathon & indeed the last marathon that i ran (back in 2010 - did a 3.15...since veered off into the slower world of ultra running)...registered for it at the last moment...have the stamina but just not sure what pace i've got..may try my luck & head out with the 3.20 pacers & reassess at 8k point as to whether to drop back or push on...pretty curious to see if slow & long & tedious (now & again) ultra training has any positive effect on my marathon time...or if i'll flop on the day...in any case there's a half marathon on in my suburb 4 weeks after this marathon so hopefully i'll get some positive yield out of this to use in that...doing a 14-miler later (part of which will be on the marathon course through the phoenix park)...will do half of these miles at 3.20 mp & the rest nice & easy...& then from here on in i'll do nothing longer than an hour...very conservative in the taper...i agree with Jim Holmes...turning up with fresh legs on the day is the best thing you can do...

• Hi guys, my last long run was run yesterday 20 miles and now tapering is to begin. It sure brings it home what we are about to do hey!!

And on Saturday, I ran my fastest ever 5k time by going sub 5k at Preston Park Run. I am still slightly shocked by it!

In response to Shea message as per what others are saying ignore the little voice saying do one more long run and stick to your training programme.

A few people are talking able how fast to run now and I thought id add that my training programme suggests i run a tune up race next weekend. And that's from the Advanced Marathoning book. It's also got me doing speed up right up to the final few days, only 100m mind you.

I will try and remember to post a copy of my tapering programme on my blog tomorrow.

I will be getting to Dublin on the Saturday and leaving on the Tuesday. Really cant wait!!

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭

Hi All -  I missed my LSR this weekend !

Due to child issues i only managed 8 miles on saturday ( Previous weekends i have ran 20 miles & 17 miles )  I had to take sunday off but have just ran 10 miles this afternoon  ( felt great ! )  

Do i need to fit in another LSR or crack on with the taper ?  This is my 2nd mara.... my last was in 2009 - i've been covering 30-35 miles per week for the last 8 weeks with speedwork and hill sessions. 

Looking forward to this event now image

• monty39, I'm no expert but if i were you i'd (if you can) try & get another 10-miler in tomorrow & then taper...but i wouldn't do an LSR...the 10 tomorrow should give some of an LSR's benefits due to the successive-day effect without the wear & tear...& maybe embed a couple of mp miles in tomorrow's 10 too...& take wednesday off....

• My tapering period, now up on my blog sees me doing five speed sessions and suggests i do a race this weekend. I have to admit i was surprised about how much speed work im still to do. But the book has worked for me so far :

http://sjpc14.wordpress.com/

Additionally 16 miles for me this weekend and then just 12 next weekend. So Monty dont panic too much im sure youve done plenty of training up to this point and as adog woof says you can still sneak in a 10 mile this week.

20 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

imageimageimage

• Here are my remaining sessions though I will probably drop the 5Km on the last Saturday

Tuesday 15th October

3 x 1 mile Repetitions with 4 mins recovery

Wednesday 16th October

11 km easy run

Thursday 17th October

6 km easy run

Friday 18th October

5 km Race Pace (Tempo Run)

Saturday 19th October

6 km easy run

Sunday 20th October

13km Long Run

Monday 21st October

Rest and Recover

Tuesday 22nd October

3 x 1km Repetitions with 2 mins walk recovery

Wednesday 23rd October

10 km easy run

Thursday 24th October

5 km easy run

Friday 25th October

5 x 60 secs hard with 60 secs recovery

Saturday 26th October

5 km easy run

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭

SJPC14 - nice to see a fellow Red on this forum - i've spoken to a few runners who've said exactly the same as you so onwards and upwards.  3 weeks to go :-

Monday (Yesterday) -  10 miles

Tuesday -  Cross training @ gym (bike + squats)

Wednesday -  40 min easy + 20 min speedwork

Thursday - 6 mile 

Friday - 4 mile race pace

Saturday - 14 mile LSR

Sunday - Rest

Hotels booked, hire car booked, spa hotel in galway booked for R&R !  

• Dont worry about the last 5k Jim , I ran a nice and easy 5k the day before my last marathon. Picked a flat route, ran it very relaxed and actually I think it helped ease my mind a little head of the marathon.

Thanks for reading monty!! It was a plus to beat that blue nose he he - although I didn't know it at the time.....a humorous extra!

Looks like both of you guys have got some good quality sessions ahead and that your be doing more than me. But as per others views i'll stick to my plan its working for me just three weeks to go we are almost there now!!

Like the idea of a spa afterwards!! Wish I'd thought of that! Also wish I'd thought to fly over on the Friday and give the Dublin ParkRun a whirl he he but that probably wouldn't of been sensible.

• Forgot to put this weeks runs in

Tuesday 8th October

4 x 1km Repetitions with 2 mins walk recovery

Wednesday 9th October

13km Long Run

Thursday 10th October

6 km easy run

Friday 11th October

6 x 300m Hill Sprints with job back recovery

Saturday 12th October

6 km easy run

Sunday 13th October

16 km easy run

Monday 14th October

Rest and Recover

Tuesday 15th October

3 x 1 mile Repetitions with 4 mins recovery

Wednesday 16th October

11 km easy run

Thursday 17th October

6 km easy run

Friday 18th October

5 km Race Pace (Tempo Run)

Saturday 19th October

6 km easy run

Sunday 20th October

13km Long Run

Monday 21st October

Rest and Recover

Tuesday 22nd October

3 x 1km Repetitions with 2 mins walk recovery

Wednesday 23rd October

10 km easy run

Thursday 24th October

5 km easy run

Friday 25th October

5 x 60 secs hard with 60 secs recovery

Saturday 26th October

5 km easy run

• My taper programme is a lot more straightforward and less hectic than yours jim...as follows...today-5 mile tempo thurs- 4 mile pace friday- 5 mile easy..saturday-rest sunday-12 mile pace..... next week as follows- wed-4 mile tempo thurs-3 mile pace friday-4 mile pace saturday rest sunday-8 mile pace and final week as follows- wednesday-3 mile pace thursday-2 mile easy friday- rest saturday -rest sunday- 2 mile easy...monday-MARATHON....
  • i like how youve compressed your training into the end of the week with Monday & Tuesday off sausageroll

• Well monday is supposed to be crosstraining day SJPC14 but my job is a heavy busy week and two small children to spend time with too plus wife is on brink of divorcing me if i ever train for another marathon lol...but ill be able to change her mind through time....
  • hmm balancing life and doing the training required to our goals isnt easy hey!

As Andy Holgate says there are 24 hours a day, we'll just have to find the time to make it work. Although im not sure i'll bet getting out running at 4 am like he used too!!

• Running this one too. Looking for accommodation near the city centre. Flying in on Friday 25/10 for 4 nights. Tried Clever Hotels through Trivago - big let down. Everywhere seems pretty expensive. Happy to travel in, not overly au fait with the transport system. image

• I checked Bewleys at Ballsbridge which is very near the expo and not too far from the start - that is usually reasonable but it was very expensive for those dates - Bewleys at Newlands Cross was much cheaper but that is out of the city and you would have to public transport/taxi to the city centre

http://www.bewleyshotels.com/

try Hotels.com

• Try Ashling hotel or Hilton Kilmainham both hotels close to city centre, however they may be a bit expensive. 

• 16Km in 1:28 - Happy with that as I did a double session yesterday evening 6 x 300 hill and Jog Back + 7Km in 34Min - I am training tomorrow and Monday then I am in London for 3 days with no time for training. But I will be at the England v Poland game at Wembley on Tuesday and a cruise down the Thames with meal and wine on Wednesday so I will take a rest then

TIDDY

Tara Towers Hotel right next to start and finish €365 for two people for 4 nights 25-29 Oct at .numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first]http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?pa=29&pn=1&ps=29&tab=description&destinationId=1644873&searchDestination=Dublin+(and+vicinity)&hotelId=177988&arrivalDate=25-10-2013&departureDate=29-10-2013&rooms.numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

• Tiddy- I am wrong it is two miles from the start  but on Merrion road which goes straght to the start

• Tiddy

This one is under €100 a night for two people and is close to the Aviva Stadium (Landsdowne Road) so would be in walking distance of the start or a short taxi ride - Also close to Ballsbridge and centre - My Mother and Father stayed there at Xmas and said it was great

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ie/sandymount.en-gb.html?sid=ac69a2779f7d955ccf987b77f69364d0;dcid=1;checkin=2013-10-25;checkout=2013-10-29;srfid=bdb3595844dc93e0efaa6d01525c6e7c4cef812dX1

• There are quite a few cheap deals going on Booking.com for the marathon weekend? Some decent hotels for far less than 100 a night in and around the Temple bar area. (Walking distance to the start!) I always find Booking.com to be the best bet.

Knocked out a 1h 25mins half at the Great West run today as my last long-ish run...I have promised myself I will have a go at this tapering lark this time! (unlikely...image)

Cant wait until the 28th! Great city to run around and possibly the best city in the world to have my first pint since Christmas at the finish! whoop whoop!

• The Mespill Hotel near Merrion Row is usually quite reasonable and it is close to the start.

I did 24 miles in the Kingston Garmin Run today (in awful conditions!), that's my final long run done.

Can't wait for DCM!

• Thigh strain issues for me, so only got in one six mile run on Saturday. From what ive read as long as i recover before the marathon and i should do, ive injured myself in good time for it not to make too much of an impact........so he says!!

Feels a lot a better this morning , so wil try and run again tommorrow.

Any one else watch the Chicago Marathon yesterday, it looks amazing!!!

Try Hotels.com Tiddy - And good luck