Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dont know if you guys remember back in Feb they mixed my number up with another with the same surname.  So this v60 ended up with a 32.59 and shot to the top of the rankings.  maybe thats whatrs happened there (with the old timer, not Johnas image)

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Well done Dachs on your continued podium streak! Good solid summer of 10ks that and proves Abo training hasn't killed the speed

Swift parkrunning Iron - good to get carried away every now and agin to clear out the cobwebs and just give yourself the confidence boost that you're improving

Good team effort there SS. get a good XC season in and that HM target next year will be yours easy. perhaps Rob could pace you to give him that warm happy glow again from helping someone out (I love pacing people - looking forward to pacing 2 mates in Amsterdam HM a week on Sunday myself)

Good mileage weeks Seb and Deano. Sub 32 was a bit optimistic though Dean! 

Shame you didn’t make it yesterday Ric – would have been a nice thread day out. Still, got to warm up and hang out with Bus post race. Gutted he got pipped at the post for first V40 prize as it would have been a great result for the thread.

As for me, set off targeting sub 34 despite my sandbagging earlier in the week. Just not a fan of laying my neck on the line, especially after a summer where I had big hopes at 10k and failed badly at each one. Anyway, planted myself right on the start line, and set off to run my own race but found myself leading a group of 3 quite early on. Pace was quite sharp and we went through 5k in 16:25 – my PB is 16:33. Between 4km – 5km its a long uphill drag and by this time, me and a guy from maidenhead were keeping the pace up and dropped the guy in 3rd .

By 7km Maidenhead man started to pull away and I knew i wouldn’t keep pace with him - I was on for a PB and just focused on not losing 2nd place like I did at the Dorney Dash in the last 1km. Finished 2nd in 33.15. Surprised it was as low in the 33’s as it was but delighted with the time. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great work and massive PB Johnas.  thoroughly deserved with all the hard work going into this marathon.   yeah , sorry it was a slip i meant sub 33 not 32.   was nearly right though image  congrats

• Looks like the South Bucks 10k was good. po10 shows most got PBs or SBs.

Interesting point about robT pacing a mate over the last 10 miles of a marathon. Yes, technically, it has to be frowned on but in reality I say it should be applauded. Running is a sport where you can mix it with the elite (so I have run with Dave Moorcroft, Steve Cram, Steve Ovett) but that does not mean the elite rules have to apply all the way down. I get pissed off with the club transfer rules and first and second claim etc which are designed to stop top notch guys getting poached but I am not top notch and all I want to do is have a nice run and pick up a team medal or age category win every once in a while. If someone came out of the blue and paced Mo over the last 10 of VLM then that would be a red flag offence, but every big race now has pace makers and nobody bats an eye at all at these.

• Johnas, The Bus and Dachs great 10k's alround well done.

I really enjoyed pacing yesterday the guy I paced (Mark) went from 385th at half way to 189th at the finish he was chuffed as we picked off runners all the way through second half, there was a guy moving about the same pace as us I spotted at about 21 miles and I suggested he became a target to follow through and ignore everyone else it was great to see Mark muster a sprint finish and pip him on the line (funny thing is he had no idea he was being used) Marks first half pace was approx 7.19min/mile and remarkable his 2nd half was approx 7.03!! and a 24 min PB image not bad for a guy who's only been running 2.5 years approx!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Your right to be delighted with the time Johnas, big jump in performance there. Top notch run! Off a quick first 5km too.

As Phil says, that marathon pacing would be frowned upon but who cares really. You only ever have problems when people complain. Often they do though. Thats a massive negative split though not surprised your friend is pleased!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

hmm cant seem to edit posts anymore?

As for my mileage SG, yes it's higher than ever, but well within capabilities now. Onwards and upwards hopefully. It's all in the long term plan. Which is very gradually, think years, upping training stress and racing distances. I've basically realised (finally) that there isnt really any substitute for mileage, especially in the relatively early phase of a runners 'career' so getting some miles in along with all the quality. the last 13 weeks has all been 1 training plan and its coming to a close with the half this weekend and possibly cabbage patch next weekend. I did however still keep the focus more 10k than HM, with more Intervals sessions rather than tempo emphasis as we are closing in on XC season and rarely race over 45mins.
    I'm ready for a step up in mileage. November is looking like back to scratch, Base training month with two races. National XC Relays and a League XC. 

• Anyone doing national 6 stage this weekend?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

if selected i will be there Rob,

• I'm there! You running Rob?

• I've been picked but calf a little suspect so easy running next couple of days then I'll make a decision

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

well done on the course PB Bus. Injury woes now look to be in the past. 

well done to Dachs, certainly this years mr consistent. I think I recall maybe one run this year that you weren't happy with and I think that was still a podium spot!!  

Great run too Johnas, we now share 10k pbs although I wouldn't mind your upcoming marathon time too!! 

Good running at the relays too SS. 

Nothing of note for me training wise, calves took 2 days to recover from Thursdays track so just did some easy miles and decided against yesterday's local 10k in favour of an easy 12 that came out at 7.18 m/m. Felt harder than it should have. The winner of the 10k was a lad I beat by over a minute at another local race earlier in the year. That being said I was running a lot better back then. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas, truly excellent performace.  I don't know quite what happened between your last 10K and now, but you've clearly been doing something right.  Whilst your low 34 target always looked suspiciously unambitious, I have to say that 33:15 surprised me.  Excellent stuff.  You've had a major breakthrough.

So, that leads to the question - what is your actual target for Frankfurt?  No hiding behind 'just a PB' or a narrow sub 2:40, particularly since historically your marathon performances have outstripped other distances.  Go on, tell us.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

anyone who travels abroad for a race must be after a massive PB.image 

im thinking that the target is definitely sub 2.40 with maybe one eye on 2.38ish. 

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Your right to be delighted with the time Johnas, big jump in performance there. Top notch run! Off a quick first 5km too.

As Phil says, that marathon pacing would be frowned upon but who cares really. You only ever have problems when people complain. Often they do though. Thats a massive negative split though not surprised your friend is pleased!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If Johnas is after merely sub 2:40, I think I need to revise my own sub 2:40 aim for something less ambitious.  He has too be looking at 6 minute miles for 2:37, surely?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Matt.

Ditto Johnas - great result and a huge leap forward. Well deserved. That said though - it occured to me that  if you hadn't done South Bucks yesterday, Guy Bowles would have been 3rd and I'd have got the V40 prize image.

I don't know, you people come over here from Kent, sleep in our towns and nick all our prizes - I'll be onto the daily Mail dontcha know!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yeah Johnas, if you're gonna run low 33s I'd rather you did it at your end of the country   image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Bus, who you calling a Kent?

Dachs - don't forget i'm a sandbagger!

I did a 23 miler last weekend with the final 10 miles at 6:02 average and it didn't feel very comfortable... Still got a couple of weeks or so to hatch a plan with my coach and not ruling out 6m/m - will have to get the taper right though. Got a big session this Sunday (75 mins easy, 75 mins MP) which should provide some feedback.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

on predictions, a guy at my club ran 2.39.56 at Berlin to set the fastest club marathon time for quite a few years. There's my target  ;)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is a monster session planned Johnas - you'll know for sure after that one! Mind you, the 23 with the last 10 at 6:02 average would say that 6 pace for the full is entirely possible, given a taper and the old race day magic being brought to bear!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

johnas, that training just looks mentalimage

rob/stevie - just got a text im selected for the relays and on leg 4.

a cheeky 6m easy at lunch and the LSR yesterday must have loosened a few rivetts as it came out at 6.51 ave.  first time my easy runs have come out less than 7min ave for a few months i think.   slowly getting back

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

2:39:56?  No, not having it.  Try again.

Not sure 10 at MP at the end of a 23 is supposed to feel comfortable.  If it is, I need to revise my target pronto.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/a.tlx?l=.HG1.HL_&pictureid=19441693171

See.  An actual tape...

• Don't be silly Dachs. Of course Johnas isn't targeting 2:39:56. He'll need 2:39:55 to beat his clubmate. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Johnas, the guy who ran 33:24 at the Staines 10k has run 2:35 for the marathon twice this year. There you go.

I'd do the session Charlie Spedding did. 20 miles made up of intervals of varying length. I imagine the change of pace a little less wearing than one fast pace lasting miles.

Before one marathon, where I'd only done 1 (one) long run in the months leading up to it, the week before the event I ran 21 x 3minutes off 1 minute(standing still) recovery. I covered 11.5 miles during that one. 

Only hit the wall at 21 miles during the race.

🙂

• At risk of upsetting RobT...

I've been trying to keep up with Sunday's action. Needless to say by the time I get to the bottom of the page I can't remember who did what and how fast. But you've all done very well! image

Though because I follow injuries, I do agree with Matt. God comeback Bus. Nice tape Dachs!

Now let's talk about me! Easy 10km today. Still tired and sore from yesteday's 3hr MTB extravaganza. Zzzz.

• Looks like I'm being mis judged yes I am a grumpy old man image

Just done a wierd one 5 miles round and round my garden !!

How big is your garden Rob?

• If I run around grass area 280m image