Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Fantastic, Superb, Wonderful Elation. A truly great place to race.

Great course... virtually pancake flat, apart from you a few slopes  (how could you find a 26 miles flatter than THAT !)  Maybe I'm just on cloud 9.

Great to read of some good PBs...  for me, it was a massive one.   Though interesting to read comments about the 24 & 25 mile marker.. as I got confused around there, but just assumed I was knackered!

As per 15 West... this is not the time for a full race report.  Can't wait to read others.

Thanks to all the runners who chatted along the way  image

• Options

I think we must have ran different courses Runny Knows!! image

Run Manchester if you want a course that is much, much flatter than that!

• Options

Smashed the PB that I set way back in another lifetime.    Last full-marathon through methinks.  

The organisation of this event was perfect.   The marshalls and the people of Chester, Cheshire and Wales were fabulous.  I could go on.   A 10/10 race.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Smashed it, 4 mins off PB, for 3:40 finish.  Live tracking had me at 3:40:32 same as my Garmin 610) but official results added 3 secs making it 3:40:35 .... But I guess it's 3:40 that counts.  

The he first hill hurt at mile 18, but I recovered and picked up the pace again, mile 24 come at 23.6 and I was rather hoping my Garmin was out ... In fact I ended running 26.32.  Mile 24/25 hill wasn't as bad as I remembered, there was a downhill before but it still affected my pace as did the sun in the second half.

Still, here's my mile splits from my garmins 26.32 mile run ... Can't believe how well I was going all the way to mile 23 and with a sub 8 min mile at mile 15 image)

08:16 1
    08:20 2
    08:05 3
    08:23 4
    08:21 5
    08:03 6
    08:17 7
    08:27 8
    08:04 9
    08:04 10
    08:03 11
    08:15 12
    08:29 13
    08:21 14
    07:56 15
    08:05 16
    08:28 17
    08:25 18
    08:14 19
    08:12 20
    08:28 21
    08:27 22
    09:09 23
    08:51 24
    09:05 25
    08:56 26
    '02:35 (08:02) '26.32

Finishing time 3:40:32 avg pace was 8:25, target pace was 8:30 image

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

There were a lot of downhills but most just remember the two up hills ... Because the first at 18 has potential to slow your pace before reaching 20 and the second/last will slow you as it's hard enough at mile 25 in any case ... What goes up, must come down lol

• Options

Really loving this weekend in Chester. Race amazing except for the 24 mile sign but minor criticism in the scheme of things! Much hillier than expected Supporters and marshalls great but I personally would have loved more music around the course....cheers to the young drummer towards the end! I am totally thrilled all went to plan......knocked 25 mins off only other marathon and got good for age time for 41-49 year old which is great as I am 60!! And won a hoodie! .image. And i have loved hearing everyone's advice, experiences and encouragement.......cheers guys!!

• Options

That is awesome bev image

• Options

Great day, lovely course, fantastic support and water stations. Quite tough though and a bit hillier than expected. I got round in 3:41 which was four minutes outside my Manchester time from earlier in the year, but today was both hotter and hillier. I hit half way at 1:44 and still had the 3.30 pacer in sight at 16 miles but I flagged quite a bit over the last six. When I saw that misplaced 24 mile marker - it must have been nearly half a mile early - I knew from my watch it was wrong but kidded myself it was right and my watch must have gone wrong. After I realised the truth, well - the last couple of miles - jesus christ they were hellish. After the run I very much enjoyed lying on the grass recovering for half an hour and a cold beer in the hotel bar. On to Manchester again for a new PB - but I'll definitely come back to Chester. Bev - fantastic achievement, well done. And Andy W, you did a much better job than I did at keeping an even pace to the end.

• Options

Woah.. Bev.   Fantabaloozy!

• Options
    Overall I enjoyed the race and will be back ,like most on here I suffered from 21m+ as the heat began to take its toll and had to dig in to get home , 24m marker didn't help but by then I was pretty much hanging on . Racecourse finish and chill out areas were perfect ,see you again soon Chester and a big well done to everyone Runners ,Marshalls ,Spectators.
  • Options
    Sounds like I had the typical experience too, felt nauseous after 2nd and 3rd gel, although I had trained with them - maybe it was a side effect of the heat too. Don't think the course was terribly hilly, but the 24 mile one was underplayed - you thought it was over and then bam!

Atmosphere, support and organization was great. This is my first marathon - did 4'33" - was hoping for around 4'30" so given the conditions I'll take that image

Well done to everyone who went, and I hope th"e odd fallen runner is not too poorly. Speedy recovery to you all!
  • Options

Woo hoo! A PB and in my first Marathon tooimage

Got to say I found that tough work - very, very hot and the only negative I could say is the sports drink was far too sickly.

I have so much respect for the organisers, volunteers and locals who kept me going when I felt like stopping. Also to the other runners who gave me encouragement particularly after the race.

I wish I had my MapMyRun time though as it was 50 mins quicker than the official time. I can accept a slight deviation but 50 mins is too much. Looks like I'll have to find an alternative. 

• Options

Official time was 4:04.14.  

This was a PB by over 9 minutes on my previous best.   Also, more than half-an-hour better than my 'modern era' times in 2011 and 2012.

I'd always planned on a very big 'positive split'. The pre-race aim was for a first half of approx. 1:53 and a second half of approx. 2:07.

As it transpired, I went through half-way point too fast in 1:50.    So, I made a decision to straightaway move to a walk/run strategy for the second half.

I was actually still on course for a sub-4 finish until as late as 23 miles.   However, during the last three miles, I had to deal with (a) terrible cramping in my calves; (b) locking up for a while across the shoulders (like a metal stake had been driven into one shoulder and out through the other); and (c) a long steep incline around mile 24/25 (too much for a soft old ‘gym bunny’ used to treadmills).

But absolutely thrilled nevertheless.   

Very, very emotional at the end.  I just found myself sobbing and sobbing.

This morning,  my legs are totally ‘locked’ (quads, calves, the lot).    I can barely get up from a chair, let alone walk around.   Plus, generally, I'm as weak as a newborn baby.      Off for a slow walk (shuffle lol) outdoors, then for a very, very long Jacuzzi.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Race report:

Lead up to race wasn't ideal....plenty of niggles going on, feeling a bit under the weather etc. The day before went over to Chester with the family, was a bit of a grumpy old man which was probably due to pre-race anxiety (and I'm a bit of a grumpy old man). Spent afternoon walking round the town centre, and went over to the race course to register daughter in mini marathon. That evening ate probably a bit late, and had a chicken tikka masala which I thought was most carb heavy meal on menu.

Race day, woke about 5am after about 6 1/2 hours sleep. Nerves were getting to me and had quite a few visits to the toilet...which was making me more nervous that I may have stomach issues in the race as I had in a few of my long runs. Once got there though I was ok. Parked up at Castle carpark and walked short distance to race course. Got sorted out, quick warm up running round with daughter...then over to the start line.

9am and we're off. I was near the sub 3 pacer at the start, and didn't get past him until got out of the race course due to crowding, which is fine as wanted to hold back for first mile or so. Once out of the race course and onto the roads I got in a steady pace and started slowly increasing pace to 6.30 and beyond. Had to stop for a wee at mile 3, but apart from that the first half went pretty smoothly. Got to half way about 1.24.29.

I originally was thinking of sub 2.45 for this race, but after training and a few races knew that this was unrealistic...but somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking still possible. After half way tagged onto a group who seemed to be running at roughly 6.20 pace and stuck with them for 6 or 7 miles. By about mile 20 though we started splitting up and people started breaking off, I felt myself slowing but they must have slowed more as they all fell behind me. I was then on my own for the last part of race, just trying to keep focussed and wishing for the end. The hills were a killer of course, and the last few miles were about 6.40 pace. When I saw the mile24 sign which was incorrectly positioned, I looked at my watch and it was 2hr30...so I thought I could just cruise home and would get sub 2.45 easy. Then realised that sign was wrong (at the time I thought I must have imagined it), and that really I need to pick up the pace to get 2.4xx; so that was a bit cruel.

Crowds along the river and back into the race course were amazing, and when I saw the clock at 2.49 I even managed a sort've sprint to make sure I came in sub 2.50. Was greeted by one of Andy or Chris thanking me for running their marathon and shaking my hand, a really nice touch. Met the family, my daughter having really enjoyed the mini marathon and wearing her medal with pride. Then got myself a bargain massage, and made my way into Chester to eat and hobble round the shops.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Tim. Interesting that you had a cry at end, I often feel like crying (never have though!), I wonder why that is?

My legs today are also totally gone. Got some pretty bad DOMS just starting. Going to "work from home" today.

• Options

I wish I was working from home today. Just about made it onto the bus this morning. Should have took the day off. 

Well that was a lot harder than 21 miles! Definitely found the heat hard. First marathon in 3hrs 40.49. On the plus side beat my target of 3hr 45, and I've got the GFA for London. But went through half way at 1.45 and had the 3.30 pacers in sight for a few miles. But can't be too harsh it was my first one! 

Agree about 24 mile marker, confused me greatly, especially as I was really struggling at that stage. 

Well done to everyone who ran. I have so much respect for anyone who runs a marathon, regardless of time. Don't think you can appreciate how hard it actually is until you do one. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh...missed you Bev. Well done! Good effort! How are your legs today?!

• Options

MARK1981 have you ever thought of doing some fell running around Guisboro? image

If im right you were brilliant yesterday, such a positive attitude it was great running with you! 

Cheers

Ben

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone who took to the start-line and gave it a bloody good go.  

I was one of the 3hr pacers and we ran a 1:29/1:31 split for a finish-time of 2:59.45s.  Plan went like clockwork - build up a buffer of around a minute at half way, and slowly erode into that during the latter stages of the race.

In retrospect I think we got it spot on, but humble enough to take any constructive criticism onboard.  Huge, friendly group with us until 17/18 miles at which point some runners kicked on, some dropped back, and a few stayed with us.

So happy to have helped runners hit their target, or at least find out how close they are to sub-3 for next time.  Super-proud to have helped in some small way one of the friendliest and best-organised marathons in the country.  And relieved that I didn't let Chris, Andy, Dave (Pace Runner manager) and most importantly any of the runners down.

• Options

Big thanks to the sub 3hr pacer who dragged me along over the last mile and a bit, knew I was going to be close so had to dig in hard and he really helped me. Got my first sub 3hr marathon so well pleased (2:59:13), especially having just missed out in London by 32 secs!

I thought the course and organisation where excellent and would recommend the race to all my running friends. By far the best running event I have done.

Well done to all finishers and organisers.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Njord - didn't follow your group but those splits are pretty much perfect...impressive pacing that.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done metro-gnome!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh - and well done to EJ and congrats on the GFA - some impressive runs being posted on here. London is a very different beast to Chester..nowhere to hide! (It's great though).

• Options

Hello Ben! 

Yeah it's me you were running with yesterday, it was a pleasure to run with you. It was a massive help to have someone to run round and chat with. Can't believe how easy the first 22 miles felt, it was like being on a Sunday morning jog with a mate. 

Then the tiredness started to set in but thankfully we had enough time in the bank, you were a great help and I don't know if id have gone sub 3 without you. 

I'll look out for you on the fell running circuit image

Njord I don't think I got much chance to speak to you yesterday, I had a few chats with the other pacer during the race, I've already said it on here last night but you paced the race absolutely perfectly. I went through 10k on 42.00 and through halfway on 1.29.00, how good is that! Thanks again. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Mark and Ben on your sub 3's.  I have no idea how people can chat during marathons...quite a few around me were too at various points.

• Options

in other news - how rank are those gels. image

• Options

Cheers 15W and well done on your pb, brilliant time. image

• Options

mark 1981, It did feel so comfortable, chatting was easy. Certainly the positive banter helped. Thanks again fella.

Njord, were you the chap with the sign? The pair of you were superb. I was generally just in front so I could see the road but constantly checked your position and my watch. The odd time I crept too far away and eased off you could hear the groups feet approaching like a wave it was surreal.

For me it was all about the sub 3. My wife had said the week before 'How pissed would you be if you did a 3.00.25... I would laugh my head off' So armed with that i pannicked with 1.5 miles to go and gave it everything. The effort was right up there but the pace didnt seem to change! It just felt too close for comfort. Job done!

So pleased.

Next time ill risk it and see how fast i can go.

15west nice running fella. 

Well done everyone!

Wish i had seen this thread before but i dont check in here often.

• Options

Cheers 15W and the same with your PB image 

I think there must have been over 100 runners following the 3hr pacers at the start and decided to follow from a small distance, so easier to get drinks etc. Great having them as a target to know I was on pace. By the 25M the 3hr pacers were pretty much on there own, as Njord says either people pushed on or had to drop back, so had them both to myself at the end image and there support really helped.

Njord I think on the pacing from you got it spot on, as the second half is a bit tougher in terms of hills so you need that small buffer as you inevitably slow! Brilliant well done and can't thank you enough.

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Nosemi - the guy with the sign was my co-pacer Simon.  I was the short, fat one with hair (not much hair, but more than Simon).

On a couple of occasions, I did absent-mindedly think about putting a burst on to break clear of the group and run in some open space, before remembering that I'd just get followed.  Definitely a good job I didn't need to stop in one of the portaloos en route.