Saddles - the greatest ass(et) or the worst hind(rance)?

hiya all,

I have recently completed my first season as a triathlete, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it all. I mainly did sprints, but also completed two olympic distance events. As a requirement for any triathlete, a certain amount of time in the saddle is expected. It's all good and proper if you get on with your saddle. However, if your relationship with your saddle has become somewhat strained and you seem to rub each other the wrong way - what to do? (sorry I'll stop the puns now).

As far as I am aware, lots of us struggle with chafing and even numbess in certain areas. It is not something that is excruciating but enough to make me feel that I could do without the discomfort. I notice this more when in Aero position - it can actually be quite painful in around the 'nads.

I saw at a race recently someone with a very minimal saddle. It looked like two ice cream sticks next to each other. Since then I have found out that this particular saddle is a Dash Tri 7 saddle. I would love to order one, but the only problem is that it costs £465 + shipping + import duties - Let's face it, I baulk at being asked to cough up around £300 for a saddle (I could almost buy a set of wheels for that). I know they do a trial programme, yet there would still be the added costs of shipping and duties to be paid. The reasons why a noseless saddle might be a good idea are to me purely anatomical, as the best contact points between the saddle and the body are the ischial tuberosities (sitting bones) not the soft bits between those and the pubic symphysis, where the nose of the saddle tends to dig into. The argument about reduced handling is relatively arbitrary with TT bikes, as there is relatively little requirement to weave around sharp bends like you would on a mountain bike.

My question is, that has someone come across something similar but more credit card friendly? Are there any other manufacturers out there who make these? If not, does anyone know a carbon fibre artisan (not sure what they are called) who could make me one?

looking forward to the torrent of helpful answers and/or botty related puns and bad jokes.

Comments

• ISM Adamo do a range of saddles between £100 and £200 (I think), life much comfier in the saddle after buying one of those.

• I thought that ISM Adamo were expensive, until I read the first post here. £465 is the price of a whole bike, not a saddle.

The Adamo ones are on a try before you buy, but I've not heard a bad word. I'm still not up to paying that money  (£120-£165) yet though.

It took me three weeks without looking at the bike before my ar se returned to normal after the ironman. There are several anti-chafe creams mentioned too, but nobody seems to have them in their shops.

• I have a Selle Italia racing saddle, it's a man's model but I get on very well with it.

• I put an ISM Adamo on my road bike after a fitting a few weeks ago. 

It is excellent, far more comfortable.  To use the description they did, The sit bones sit on the seat and "The boys" hang over the front so there is no discomfort.

• +1 for the Adamo saddle, got one this weekend, the future for more kids is looking bright againimage

• Bontrager also now do a saddle that looks like the Adamo - the main difference is that you can alter the nose gap to get it to suit you better.  this has been an issue with some Adamo users who feel the saddle is too wide at the nose - those who do (my missus included) use a zip tie on the rails to pull the arms a little closer.

Bomtrager Hilo TXL Speed Dial - http://bontrager.com/model/09863 - if anyone's interested.   not cheap by some way but better than £400+

• looks like the adamo camp is well presented image thanks for the comments. I was also thinking of simply cutting the nose off a normal saddle and seeing if that might work... maybe a bit of foam added over the edge for comfort - held in place with duct tape of course... call me cheap if you like. anyway - this self build thing is becoming more appealing by the minute. When I get my new shed I can spend all of my winter evenings there tinkering with my prototypes... 

The zip tie across the front gap sounds good as it should maintain some of the stiffness of the saddle as well.

oh yea, the cost is actually in US dollars - $465... not in pounds (still too expensive though)

• rather than cut the nose off a standard saddle, why not buy a standard tri saddle to see how you get on with that??  tri saddles tend to be shorter and blunter at the nose, combined with softer nose material to reduce the impact on the nethers when aero

and depending on the saddle, you might struggle cutting the nose off as the rails oftend extend into the nose

• Womans saddles are shorter !

• FB, the problem with us cheap ex-runners is that we don't like to just keep spending until we either find Nirvana or run out of money.

• People are so ready to blame the saddle.....not themselves.....just cut the offending body parts off.....sounds a cheaper option to me image