ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hey Malcs - that's a bit more like it. Hopefully, you'll be able to make your way around York ok. Just be careful this next few days. You can't do too much to improve your fitness but you sure can wreck it.

I really need to start running again this week but am really apprehensive. I was all set to run this weekend but went to the pub on Friday night and my neighbours son asked me to take him out for a good bike ride. Seemed like a good idea after about 8 pints!

This boy has some power though and I couldn't get near him on the hills. He's ranked 4th in the country for under 15 at 200m (23 seconds dead!!!) so pretty explosive and he made climbing look ridiculously easy.

It didn't help that this was my first ride on the roads in over three months but it was good to get a couple of hours exercise in nonetheless.

Any updates from yesterday people?

• Hello chaps.  Well my sister is officially engaged now- lovely party with veery little food.  I got hangry! And too hungover yesterrday to run, unfortunately.  Another wedding nxt Sat, but hopefully I can fit my long run in on the Sunday without any adverse affects.

Mr P I'm so sorry your race didn't go to plan.  It looks like you really suffered between 30 and 40k.  Do you think you'll try to find another in a few weeks, so your training isn't wasted?

Clive any improvement on the foot?  Was there any lasting damage from your tear?  I hope it's  all ok?

So, Sarah and Malcs it's about time the more serious effects of taper madness begin to present... I'm here to talk som sense into ya when neededimage

Jenf how was ur half?  Looking forward to hearing a race report!

im secretly hoping that Bournemouth marathon organisers messed up and didnt properly transfer my number to RRR so that I now have a BQ against my nameimage

Sounds like a good ride ds2 would it be worth combining your return to running with a bit of cycling so that your building up your fitness whilst you gradually bring your body up to condition for running?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

How did RRR get on Angela?

Sounds like a good night. Yes, I am intending to keep cycling this year. I will probably cycle on the recovery days even when marathon training is in full swing - if I ever get back to it, that it!

• Sounds like it wasn't just me who had a bad weekend..

Mr P- sorry to hear about the race. A girl I know from Sheffield had a similarly unpleasant experience yesterday at Chester too.

Jen- How did it go?

DS- Probaly safer sticking to the bike me thinks image Suspect I will need one too. RRR did well inbournemouth- 3:32. She said it hurt though.

Got an appointment to see a foot surgeon tomorrow first thing... Still sore this morning, but better than when I went to bed. Massively mixed emotions- heart says "run", head says "Get real, and avoid long term damage". think I'll see what the guy says tomorrow..

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Clive - listen to your head and the surgeon. Someone once told me they are experts in their respective fields! image

Or are they the worst group at listening to medical advice? We shall wait to find out.

I've PM'd RRR but Malcs told me about her run. Sounds like she did really well considering the issues.

I've had a good reaction to the cycling this week and considering I couldn't ride without pain a couple of months ago I think I must be making progress. I will build up the running carefully and mix in some cycling.

How is the foot pain today. Have you any idea what you may have done?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - you're definitely doing the right thing seeing someone quickly. Only after a full assessment can you make any kind of decision. I just can't believe you've had this happen so close to race day.

Angela - sounds like you had a good time! I hope the hangover has cleared now. Of course it was the lack of food and not the volume of alcohol that caused the hangoverimage

No taper madness here - mainly because I don't feel like I'm tapering. Not much to taper from anyway. Might hit me next week as I plan to run very little.

DS2 - is this 8 pint thing part of the recovery plan? I may have to try itimage I think it did no harm missing the run this weekend. There is no rush for you.

Wow, 23 secs for 200m - that is amazing. No wonder he's 4th in the country!

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely be treading carefully.

I was wondering what to do on Saturday. A few weeks back I was thinking I might build to 18 miles but I think I'd lose more than I'd gain doing that a week out. So do I do 15 again, 13 or go the other way and do a gentle 8-10?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - it's hard to imagine running that fast. I was telling him how I used to run a set of 150m reps (2 lots of 6) in 19 seconds when I was young. He told me they do that session in his group...................................in low 17s!!!!   And their 100m intervals in ......wait for it.............12.2secs.image

I've been in a similar place to you a couple of times and decided I needed to do as much as I could...........that was a mistake. I felt great the week before the marathon for 18 miles but absolutely rubbish for the marathon itself. Just took too much out of myself. I would think about doing a comfortable 13 miles feeling easy and know that if you feel like that at 13 on marathon day I'd be happy and confident I could finish.

I don't think 13 would take much out of you - as long as you rein it in a little - so no need to go lower in my opinion. Be interesting to see what others think though.

• Hiya Malcs, hangover has gone, but I think it was particularly bad as I was getting sick.. sniffly today.  Trying to ward it off with a lot of freshly juiced fruits and veggies today- flood my system with vitamins and minerals..  We'll see if it works, needless to say I think the 8 mile run I had planned to fit in today for not running at the weekend is best left, so I can get better, rather than overexert and get worse.  I would think a shorter run- enough to keep you ticking over is worth it - something about 2 hours? but easy easy pace- perhaps picking up for the last 1/4 of the run to give some sprite in your legs?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That sounds good advice Angela. The idea of a few MP miles at the end makes sense!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks people. Does indeed sound like sensible advice to me. A 13 mile slow would be about 2 hours. I like the idea of the MP at the end but I have no idea what my MP should be for this one.

So I guess that's another question. What MP do I go for? My fitness is pretty good. Just this damn leg that's the problem. However, I haven't done the kind of endurance groundwork that I would have liked with 15 being my longest run. 

I'm wondering if running slower would really help given that would mean I'm on my feet for longer? Then again I don't want to run out of steam because I've gone too quickly. Perhaps something in between? 8:30-8:45 pace to start then see how I go?

Angela - get those vit pills down ya! Right call to skip the 8 and get over the cold. Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

DS2 - it's not hard, it's almost impossible to imagine running that fast! 150 in 19 seconds is pretty good going too, you were a bit of a speedster Mr DS2! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I would think that sounds about right Malcs. 

Angela - I echo Malcs. Plenty of vitamins!!

• Wow DS2 that is well speedy...dreaming going that quickly now! Sounds like your getting back into things again...all ready for the start of marathon training in the new year image

Malcs did you watch xfactor? we watched saturdays episode last night before heading to bed...im so disappointed in it. I cant believe that they sent paul home, he was amazing. Im not sure if I can watch the rest now. Im hoping someone might bribe me with a campavan to live in during TR24 if i join their group !!image

Im obsessed with running 10 miles the week before my races, whether its a 10k, 10m, half marathon or marathon and as im set in my ways I think i would run 10 miles slow the week before york marathon (well thats what im doing anyway) but thats to race. If I was doing the marathon more just to get round then I would probably want to do more 16-18 but again very slow just so that I know I can get round. I guess it all depends on what previous runs youve done as you dont want to step up the milage every week for say ten weeks, you need a drop back week at some point!

Clive hows the foot now? Its so hard to know what to do, I would be so tempted to run as its paid for and youve done the training etc, but in my mind I know that would be the wrong thing to do and it could potentially ruin the rest of your running career, so with that in mind and me having my sensible head on I would say dont run unless its asymptomatic on fri/sat!

Angela Good engagment party then?? What was you drinking? Hope you dont get a cold and all is well. Ive started with the obsession with hand washing today...after seeing anyone with anything potentially contageous im washing my hands with soap and water and then alcohol hand wash and then wiping down my surfaces with antiseptic wipes...my skin is so dry and sore as a result!!

Mr P how are you feeling today?

race report needed Jen!!image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

HI gang! Running in fancy dress is SUCH fun!!. image a few mins slower than my pb, but I had a great race. Sorry but this laptop is playing up again. You will have to wait for a full report from work computer tomorrow. But just wanted to let you know I'm ok!!!

• Good!

Thanks everyone, I have been reading around and it seems a lot of people were ill yesterday.  Ive felt a bit dull mentally today but ok until I got a bit nauseous leaving work.

Angela, yes, I have considered another race but I have a pretty full calendar now,  starting with the conway half mara next month, that will require some specific hill training. 

Again, I weighed myself for comparison...pre breakfast, I weighed 79.8 kilos

I had a large bowl of porridge, a cup of tea and a cup of coffee. At least 3x300ml of water, could have been 5. About 400ml of Lucozade Sport Evil plus one gel of same.

at home, two cups of tea, a chocolate milk and a bar of fruit & nut.

I weighed myself before a bath and I was 78.4 Kilos.  So after all that, I was still nearly 1.5 kg lighter!

• I was thinking about you yesterday Malcs, and what I would do...I dont know, but I think caution would be the order of the day, you can always ramp it up in the final 300 yards image.  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - yes, we did see X Factor on the weekend. Paul was very good but they all were. There's always tough decisions to be made on that show. I'm still trying to get over the fact that Chicco didn't win it. 

So you're becoming a TR24 mercenary now then? Campervans? You'll be wanting a hot shower next!image

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about just getting round. I would have gone for the 16-18 option but I know I will need time to recover from that. I think I do better when I'm fully rested so I'm going to go for the shorter run option. 

Jen - great to hear that you enjoyed it so much! Hey, maybe you should run in fancy dress every time?

Mr P - in that heat I'm not surprised people were struggling. Blimey, from your weigh ins you must have lost a serious amount of fluids. I take it you are like me then and adopt a moister look when the temperature is higher?image

I think you're right, caution is the way to go. I will most likely start closer to 9mm pace. I'll watch Sarah disappear into the distance like Road Runner and then see if I can stick with my brother-in-law. He's doing his first marathon and his main goal is to break 4 hrs though really he has his eye on sub 3:45.

Ha - better make it 100 yards, I've only ever managed one sprint finish and that was on my last one. It was helped by the fact that there was a steep downhill just before the finish line. 

All my others have been crawls. In one of my Londons I stopped dead 5 metres out because I was about to heave. I then cautiously walked over the line so as to avoid any further spasms. Walked! Such shame image 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Yes, I have great hopes that Sarah is going to beat my 'thread best' of 3:19 and, thereby inspire me to greater things come April. Alas, I think she will just go even faster image

Mr P - I must admit when I saw the weather I did fear for those running a full marathon. It's so tough when the temperature has been mild and then suddenly ramps up towards 20 degrees.

Malcs - caution is good. I think I was in a similar place to you in May 2012 and set off conservatively. The last three miles were tough but I got a 3:44 out of it. Purely down to sensible pacing early on in warm weather. Can we track those running?

Anyhow, I finally got out there this morning. 4.53 miles in 36:03. Slowish mile to start (8:38) then ran the best pretty much at 7:45mm. Preety pleased.

I could feel the knee a little but no pain and I think probably more in the head than anything. As I picked up the pace it got easier so encouraging.

However, I am really unfit. Every step felt hard work and my CV was terrible. I have a lot of work to do if I'm going to get back to GFA times.

Clive - what's the news???image or image

• image DS2, congrats on getting a run in!  image This is great news!  It can take a long time after an injury for the 'in your head' part to go away- beware you don't change to a strange running style to overcompensate...

Sarah I was on G&Ts and Champagne... gin is really really bad when you don't remember how many you had image soooo dehydrating!  That plus this cold means I'm probably still dehydated... on the plus side, weight myself this morning, and now under 60kg!  59.4kg to be precise.  Not too far from my goal of 58kg now.  I think you need to add one more product to your sanitising regime - hand creme - stop you getting dry hands image

Malcs unfortunately, feeling worse today, but Greater Anglia are also having a mare-  no trains running to London at all, and they don't have an ETA on when the problem will be fixed... Signalling problems...  I would be annoyed, but its forcing me to stay home when I probably would have dragged myself into work only to make myself worse.

• morning!

Just a quick pop in, I'll read back later what everyone has been up to...#

Cologne is back on!!! Seen the surgeon this morning, and have had a BIG needle stuck in my foot (steroid injection). Interestingly I have found out that I pronate, and not been picked up before as it is all in the mid foot; this results in a functional 'block' on the extension of my big toe which puts strain on the plantar fascia. It is easily sorted with orthotics, so I am taking my trainers to him on Friday and he is going to tinker with the insole so I can run on sunday image

Feeling v chirpy right now (although my foot is really throbbing...)

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That is excellent news Clive - I really feared for the worst.

Bring it on!!!image

• Morning! Have decided to de-lurk! Thank you so much for the good luck wishes! Bournemouth hurt and there were a couple of steep sharp hills that weren’t expected. Lost about 45 seconds a mile towards the end due to a couple of things – all my own fault. Oh well ... learned from it!

Clive – Ooh fab news re foot! Don’t like the sound of the massive needle ... but if it means the marathon is back on track then thats amazing news!! How is it feeling now?

Mr P – sorry to hear race didn’t go to plan. It was SO hot Sunday though – really made a difference and definitely not good if you weren’t feeling 100% to begin with! Sounds bad that there was someone witha  spinal injury - hope he's ok!

DS2 – Just caught up. Glad your cycling is much better and hope you’re back to running in no time. It's so frustrating being injured. Keep meaning to get my bike out but I'm a useless cyclist and tend to crash into things, Any tips?

Malcs – hope leg behaves itself. So annoying when it’s something like that holding you back when your overall fitness is good. What pace are you going for? 

Sarah – So ... solo, pair or team??!! Good luck for your race!! You’re going to be brilliant!!!

Angela – hope you’re rattling from all of those vitamins and the cold disappears soon! p.s. name fr BMF definitely changed!!image

Jan – can’t wait for the report!! Pics too please!! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - well that is an immense relief! I'm so glad you are going to be able to run and that you're feeling positive about it too. Did the surgeon tell you what the probelm was? 

DS2 - wow, that's not a bad first run back. I know you said your CV was poor but you weren't exactly plodding!

I had a break post TR24 and when I came back I remember feeling like there was no chance I would get back to where I was. I think we just forget between injuries how quickly we get back into it. Within a week I noticed a difference and within two fitness felt like it was almost back to how it was before.

Not sure about runner tracking. I'm no. 358 if there is but I haven't heard anything about it.

Angela - ha, you must have been the only person thankful for the trains being crap this morning image  Congratulations on creeping closer to that target weight. At a mere 58 kg surely you'd have to start buying children's clothing?image 

RRR - well done indee on Bournemouth. That's two very impressive marathon results in succession. I'm sure the heat will have knocked a significant amount of time off. I assume the calf was ok on the day?

What caused you to drop pace towards the end? 

Yes, this injury is particularly annoying. The fact that it is still lurking around and won't bugger off is very frustrating. The worst part is that I can mostly run normally for a bit but then end up having to stop and stretch when the muscle gets tired and siezes up. Fingers crossed it'll be ok a week on Sunday.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - desperately hoping you are right but feeling pretty satisfied right now. At last I can start thinking about April now.

Angela - that's an amazingly low weight. Is it impolite to ask how much you have lost? Hope the cold thing clears quickly.

RRR - as Malcs has said, two great marathons back to back. Are you still planning on Boston in the spring?

• Clive, glad you've found a solution for your foot! not long to go now! when do you fly out there?  Are your family going with you? or are you going solo?

RRR not rattling as I used fresh fruit and veg to juice.  I'm not a fan of supplements unless they are prescribed.  I only tend to take vit D in winter, as with my darker skin, its toughter for me to synthesise it from the sunlight... image

Malcs, surely the need to buy childrens's clothing would come if my weight was going up, not downimage

DS2, its not that low actually- at only 5'3" my BMI was at the high end of healthy, now its still toward the higher end of the scale at 23.2.  I was about 57kg when I was at Uni, and want to get back to similar body image in time for my honeymoon next year image  At my heaviest I was about 63kg- last november, after carboloading for the NYC marathon that was cancelled!  

Little concerned this cold is getting worse, seem to have a fever... :-S  eek!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Blimey it's been busy on here!!! I can't keep up!

Seems as if this thread is bugged at the moment with everyone ill/injured image Big hug ( ) for anyone who needs it.

Well it was an early start for me on Sunday as over 20 of us went up to Cardiff for the half marathon in a mini bus. I was the only Fairy! I found it all a bit traumatic as I wasn't in control, was late getting to the start, and still in a toilet queue 10mins before the gun! I'd lost everyone...so ended up running on my own. Not the best start as I didn't warm up properly either.

My plan was to aim for a sub2hr race, not to push it, just a steady pace and enjoy. It was very congested for most of the race, and I was weaving in and out of runners the whole way. It was a beautiful day, and lots of supporters were out lining the whole route. I had so many call outs from the crowd, and the kids loved the fairy dust I sprinkled on them as I high fived them! I got a mention on the local radio aswell. The race went mainly to plan, but I did fade a bit in the last 3 miles as the costume became a bit hot n sweaty, and I think i'd used a bit too much energy waving my wand. I gave my fairy dust to two lovely little girls on the side with instructions for them to sprinkle it on any flagging runners behind me, and headed for the finish! No PB, just a great fun race.

Sadly I don't have any photos to put on here. Unless the official photographs come up trumps.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Love the image Jen! Sounds like a good run despite the crowds.

Angela - I thought you were a little taller than that (from memory at Halstead). That BMI sounds about right. I'm sure you'll look fantastic come the honeymoonimage.

Waiting for the full RRR report!!!

• She was probably in her Jimmy Chus that day...

• No Mr. P, I was in my fairly standard Nike Lunar Eclipse... they probably add about an inch to my height, however, I would have thought all that running would have caused me to shorten... image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ha ha! Mr P image How are you feeling today. I trust you have managed to rehydrate now? What is your next goal?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I seem to have had no reaction to the knee from yesterdays run. I have resisted the temptation to run today but will try to get another 4 or 5 in tomorrow and see how it feels.

Clive - How is the foot today?