MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

well  been out on 4 mile run tonight and felt great

•  

A 4-mile run !!!!!

It takes me half-an-hour just to walk down the stairs lol.

• I thought it was a great marathon.  Pace groups were well organised and added to my enjoyment.  Hope everyone else enjoyed it, will be running again next year.

• My reflections on the event would be:

The good:-  VERY well organised;

- friendly atmosphere;

- lucozade elite is ok - only tried it around 23miles as I was flagging but it tasted ok and seemed to do the trick;

- great spectator support in the villages (names on numbers a nice touch);

-nice personal touch to be greeted by Andy or Chris at the end with a handshake and a 'well-done'

The not so good:

- it's not flat even by a Welshman's standard!

- overtook the 3:15pacer in last mile but clocked 3:16 !! How does that happen?

Overall a great day and marathon.

• Was my first full marathon. Really wanted to do sub 4 hours but really struggled for the last 4 miles. My eldest lad ran the last 3 miles with me to get me in. Finished in 4 hours and 2 minutes. Not too disappointed as I can now say I have completed a marathon and it gives me something to aim at next time now I know what to expect

Have to say the support and the volunteers were excellent and really did give me a lift!

Looking forward to the next one.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

15W - just bought the ipad version P&D advanced marathoning 2nd edition.  Heard it mentioned a few times, various forums.  I now have a new PB to beat 3:40 and up to 55 miles is similar to my normal peak in training.  My focus will need to be on more structured speed sessions. I don't tend to do intervals, just faster runs every now and then.  Parkrun really helped with this in the last 4 months

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Photos are on marathon-photos.com. Happy hunting.

Andy - it's a good schedule. I am planning on running more parkruns also.

• Photos are online! 

I look terrible on most of them as usual, im number 366! 

• Photos 25 quid as a minimum, which is a shame.

I'd have liked one or two, but that's way too pricy for my wallet. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

My photos are a good illustration how my form and posture deteriorate as I get tired. By the end I'm all hunched up.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

I'm not too bothered about photos of me, but I want a photo of the MV60 who finished in under 3 hours, to inspire me for the future!  It looks to me like no UK MV60 ran London or Brighton marathons in under 3 hours, so this man must be really special.

Does anyone know how to get pictures of other runners, knowing their race number?  There's a facility for getting runners' pictures based on their description and the clothes they were wearing, but I couldn't see one based on race number.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

mark1981 - Aha!  So *that's* what you look like from the front!  You spent most of the race right at the front of the group so I know exactly what the soles of you shoes look like!  Well done on a great race - and I'm not sure how much I was pacing you, or you were pacing me!

• Thanks Njord! I spent most of the time at the front of the group to make things easier at the drink stations, I like to have a bit of space to run in too. I think you already mentioned it was so tempting to just sprint away from everyone to find some room. 

Im just glad I didn't because I would have payed for it in the end! 

The photos are a bit expensive for me as well but you can take a good screen shot of them anyway if you have an iPhone image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

SGB - using my supreme stalking skills I have found your hero. He is 2360.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Interestingly early on he has his number on a tshirt...and then at end he has his number on a singlet. So...he must have stopped to get changed along the way?!

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15West.  What a hero!  How did you find his picture? 

I knew his number, oddly, one less than mine.  Now I know he's superman!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Found his name on full results page here Run Britain and then put name into marathon-photos site. Simple. He ran it for charity KidsCan. Respect.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Now I can stalk you too SGB...and you certainly look younger than 60!

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Respect to SGB1953.  Superb time that for an M60. 

Just out of interest, how mobile are your legs and back in the morning?  I creak like an cripple at the aged of 42 image

Any tips for us young 'uns?

• Actually, individual photos are 18 quid. Still  more than I personally believe to be fair (notwithstanding people have to make a living)...    For a fiver, and probably 7-50, I'd have bought one.

I guess that in any big race, there are plenty doing their first (and possibly only) marathon... and are prepared to pay almost anything for a decent action photo...  so these photographers probably think they make more money with high pricing, that prices ot the most runners.  They're probably right... but it's a bit dissatisfactory.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15W - Thanks for that compliment!  I am only just 60! 

I didn't realise there was a better way into the marathon-photos site than via the link from the email.  Thanks for that too.  I'll see if I can get his image as background!  As far as I can see they all seem to be at the end of the race.  Odd that he found time to change when he only just finished in under 3 hours.  I wouldn't have the nerve for that.

Njord - It wasn't me who ran a sub-3 hour marathon, though I was pretty pleased with my time, as it was a PB. 

How did I feel the next day?  To be honest I seem to have skipped delayed onset muscle soreness this time.  After the race my wife (who wasn't running) and I walked back to the hotel and then walked to the train station to go home.  I think this helps with stiffness.  I stretched and foam-rollered when we got home.  I have one or two minor niggles, but I hope they'll be OK. I nearly forgot: I did drink quite a lot of red wine that evening.  I bet that helped reduce the DOMS!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well...I did plenty of walking after the marathon and have heard full blown DOMS this time...worse than London in the spring. Maybe the few downhill sections killed my legs. Maybe I should have drank red wine instead of cans of lager.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

SGB1953 - as far as I know, only two British M60s have run under 3 hours this year.  That really is international vet standard.  A polite question should be asked about the provisional results - there may be a faulty chip or a misguided error of judgement responsible for current standings.  In any event, your time is laudable in it's own right and you should be very pleased.  

For info, Trevor Edgeley is the current British Masters M60 Champion - a title he won with a 3hr20 marathon at Tenby last year.  He won it the previous year with a 3hr08 marathon at Abingdon.  This year's championship is at the Newcastle Town Moor Marathon on 27th October.  Probably too soon after Chester for you, but you would certainly be one to watch in the next year or so if this sort of thing motivates.

Glad to hear you enjoy the odd tipple.  Belgian beer is my poison.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15West - Quite right.  Stick to red wine next time!

Njord - Thanks.  It's unusual that the name of someone so good seems to be unknown to the runbritain and power of 10 websites.

Trevor, on the other hand, is well known both sites and is amazing!  He runs in most Kent Grand Prix races (as do I) and nearly always wins at v60, and sometimes beats all or nearly all the v50s, despite being 65!  He ran Tonbridge half on 22 September 2013 in just over 1H30. 

I won't be running at Newcastle, three marathons in a year is always too many for me, a fourth would be compounding the error!

• Re M60 winner...it does seem a bit weird. ..and no stage positions for him in results...only final time....I know we 60 yr olds are amazing but like you say that is astonishing he so far ahead of second 60 yr old....some club should sign him!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey - you're right. No split times under 40k. Very suspicious. Maybe he took off his tshirt with number on it and gave it to someone shortly after start...then got number from same person towards the end and attached to singlet...or got singlet with it attached.... Or maybe he went home and had a cup of tea and put his feet up for a few hours.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1486&racenumber=2360

Hmmm.

• You reckon ? He might have trained a lot...You think he gets a hoodie?

• He certainly improved sharply from his performance at the 2012 Liverpool Marathon, when he came in at 3:56. Must have been training like a demon all year.

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

I smell something fishy. And I'm a penguin! I know fishy.