IM with one bike lap

Are there any ironman or halves in the uk or a short plane ride away that only have one lap for cycling? I wouldn't be the most fearless going downhill and am trying to find something where the likelihood of being crashed into by those lapping me is least likely.

thanks

Comments

• Have you been crashed into a lot?

• bike on bike crashes are incredibly rare - most are the result of pilot error.

IMLanza has a one lap bike leg though. IMWales, one lap and a shorter 2nd lap.

for 1/2s - Marshman has a single bike lap, as does Owler - both in Kent

• I think you're worrying over nothing. Faster riders are very good at not crashing into slower riders - if they did that then they'd always be out injured.

Bala middle distance is a one lapper anyway.
  • EDIT - when I say most are pilot error, I mean these are crashes where riders either hit the deck or a hazard as a result of their error, not as a result of riding into someone else.

you do see the odd person riding into another at the mount line when they get things wrong but that's all low speed stuff and rarely causes issues

• Hmm lanzarote site says the course is open to traffic so I don't fancy that.

i understand what you say about pilot error. What I'm worried about is that the other entrants bearing down on me down a hill could make me lose my cool and commit one of the aforementioned pilot errors.

i haven't had any crashes as I haven't done any bike races. I've only run a marathon and am thinking of an im but want to find out if its feasible based on my nervousness of bike road racing or not.

• Ooh thanks for the marshman recommendation. Looks great and the swim isn't in the sea either.

• I think you need to do some more road riding before contemplating a triathlon if you're that nervous

there's a simple rule in bike racing (much like skiing) - don't worry about what's coming from behind, just concentrate on what's ahead of you.  that way you'll be fine

• If overtaking bikes are an issue - how will you cope with crappy car drivers in your training ?

For me Ironman was about overcoming my fears - I hated the water and the swim terrified me. Sounds like yours is the cycling. You just need to practice and get used to it.

FB's advice is good - you focus on where you are going. The overtakers will do the same and everyone is happy. And safe.
  • Yeah i was wondering that myself cougie. i was thinking maybe I could do a lot of the training on a turbo bike? What percent do most ppl do on a turbo? Would the entry level one I would buybesufficient? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• I don't think its a good idea to do a lot of the training on the turbo bike. A few sessions a week maybe - but you need the endurance and bike handling of the weekend bike rides to prepare yourself for the race.

By all means do the midweek sessions indoors in winter - but get out there in the fresh air. You have to be confident on the bike in order to finish. A turbo will get you fit but won't teach you how to cope with the roads.
  • Lanza is open to traffic but some sections are closed for race day. The traffic really was minimal, it's not like riding on busy British roads. Mind you, with the heat and the wind the last thing that bothers you is other traffic. 

Frankfurt is closed roads and two laps. Don't recall being overly bothered by other riders and it is closed roads so there is a lot of space. 

The bike course that I did have an issue with was Copenhagen which had waved starts. I felt like I had a lot of more competent male competitiors bearing down on me in the early section of the bike as they had caught up with the female wave. The early part of the bike course is also narrow and quite technical and I was nearly taken out by one cyclist who was impatient to pass where it was too narrow to do so. Shortly after another cyclist dropped a full bottle of energy drink which bounced between my wheels. All quite unnerving. 

• Part of training is improving your skills - all these apparently confident bike handlers were nervous beginners once.   Plus like Cougs says good cyclists are good at avoiding other riders, just ride your own race and you'll be fine, it's up to faster riders to go round you.

• So have any of u done marshman or owler? 

• Does it matter if it is a single lap or multi lap race? It would only come into play if you were at the back or very back of the pack?

You will need to get on the road to build up that confidence. Turbos are good but as a compliment to road riding.

• Mini marshman was my first triathlon. The swim was a bit cold as it's an early season event, but a nice private lake. The bike course was flat and so was the run. Mostly narrrow country roads, so a fair ammount of twists and turns, but few if any hills. I am led to believe that the 1/2 IM is similar on the run and bike (just a bit further out!). It's also well know for being windy, which can make a difference on the bike. Oh yes and they had Jaffa Cakes at the finish!

• Nothing further to add really, all sound advice but if you really are that nervous then you can be a danger to yourself let alone others
    Get out there, get practising and then re-evaluate if this is really an achievable goal

• apart from Wales and probably Bolton then they are all on open roads aren't there......so traffic...

• I've done Marshman 1/2 a few times - the ride is reasonably flat with only a few upflats along the way, and only one hill to speak of.  not done Owler but it's probably a bit lumpier but nothing too bad from what I've heard.

some of the Marshman bike route is narrow in parts - country roads basically - so unless you are comfy riding these sorts of roads with traffic cutting past reasonably close, then it might not be for you,  and some of the straighter flatter sections have fast traffic on them - especially the stretch to Ashford - they'll be coming past at 60+ so again you need to be confident, although there is plenty of room for them to overtake you.

lots of us turbo, but as an addition to road riding, not as a substitute

• Isn't this the Owlers first year or is that just the 140.6 distance version?

• Oh and celtman is one bike lap.

• I think Norseman is too. Oh and IMFR ?
  • ride a bike and you will likely crash at some point, it will hurt. that said it is not likely to be majorly injurious. Please don't let that put you off tho, if you're tough enough for an IM you,re tough enough to manage a few cuts, bruises and scrapes. Get out on the bike and practice. Some mountain biking might be an idea to get some bike handling skills before mixing with the traffic.

• Thread hijack, apart from the New Forest one are there any IM with an off road run? Mr F has banjaxed knees but could probably cope off road.

• the enduroman one first weekend in june.......which happens to be in the nrew forest

• Can you expand on off road run.

The outlaw is mostly along a river bank on gravel paths but has concrete parts, Celtman seems all off road but goes over a mountain and crosses loss boulders.

Do mean run on grass as both the above seem worse on the legs then roads to me

• If there's a grassy bit on the side of a path that would work, just not all Tarmac. Seren, that's the one I've seen, and did the half a few weeks ago.

• Outlaw, cept its full next year

• 2015 is good he's going to do a couple of halves and the aqua bike at the Owler next year, and the escape from Alcatraz swim.

• Kate....the enduroman one didn't have the half a few weeks ago.....it has the half on the same day as the full, double and triple