Cross country running shoes

Hi We need some advise on cross country running shoes for our son. He is 11 years old and runs for stoke on trent AC My question is we have bought him some cross country spikes which are very lightweight but not waterproof at all and he comes back soaked. Is this just the nature of the sport or is there waterproof spikes or could we just get him a good waterproof cross county trainer ? Thanks

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think getting wet and muddy is the nature, and the fun of the sport.

No matter how waterproof you make a shoe there will always have to be a big hole to get your foot into where water can also get in.

You will just have to get him to "man up" a bit.
  • XC is all about the wet and mud. That's the fun of it. (As Millsy). However if you did have a waterproof shoe, the water would get in the top (as above) and wouldn't get out.... that would be much less desirable surely. I think you have to accept if your son is going to run in XC he is going to get wet and muddy. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Harry, I run for stoke.  does your boy run in the north staffs league?  If so spikes are needed for the Stafford common & leek course.  But park hall is on a trail and in my opinion not suitable for spikes.  Don't worry about getting wet feet, thats the name of the game.  

• Thanks for the replies to be honest its me with the problem as a Dad, My son just gets on with it lol

I just wanted make sure I was buying the correct gear for him. He makes me very proud.

Yes DeanR7 he does run in North staffs league I will take your advice thanks image
  • You can get waerproof trail shoes, but they are heavier and as has been said once water comes in the top it stays there. Having had a waterprof pair of trail shoes I will never buy any again and much prefer the "easy in, easy out" approach to water.

I remember running in the North Staffs League back in the early late 80's - great days!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Harry - Something I've learnt about cross country as an adult... your feet get wet and muddy, and indeed that is part of the fun.  BUT it's not much fun staying in cold, wet gear after the race.  Make sure the little fella has some dry clothes (and socks!) to change into after the race.  And get a hot drink down him.  Brrr!