Races that refuse to publish full results.

One of our local (ish) paper has had an article reporting that the organisers of the Bournemouth Marathon Festival is refusing to publish full results of its races due to "data protection issues" I've never come across this before and as a bit of a stats geek I always like to have a look though previous results when considering signing up for events. I have done small charity fun runs where you don't expect proper results and timings but if a large event is going to advertise Elite, Good for age and Club places with chip timing then surely they should publish how everyone got on. If data protection was an issue then how come 99% of other races manage to do it.

Comments

• I think he must have his wires crossed ?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

there was a thread on here with some people moaning they didn't want their names on results lists!

Unless they're scamming the government and claiming disability allowance I'm not quite sure what their issue is!

Just enter as a hoax name if it's such a problem!

ps disclaimer...do not enter as a hoax name.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

All the organisers needed to do was place a data protection disclaimer on entry as in signing this form you accept blah blah blah. Let's hope there's no race day photographer! 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    They are flogging photos I think. They have published the top tens in each category. I think you can get a time if you know the race number but there is no facility to see all results.
  • Weird one. They are freely available online through Runbritain etc so anyone wanting them could do so.  Probably someone getting a bit confused.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's odd that they are on run Britain but not their own website.
  • Perhaps they don't need no-shit-sherlock and his sidekick trawling the results for massive time-related fraud, I mean, 2 people with the letter "r" in their name finishing within thirty minutes of each other, got to be a conspiracy.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Rather odd that they are the only race organisers who have decided that there is a DP issue. Have they done this for their other events? Would be nice if they responded to those of us who have e-mailed them on this subject.

i presume it wasn't a DP problem on the Sunday evening as you could look up anyone by surname or race number then.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

in fairness those investigations are usually interesting.

where someone does 1 time miles faster than all their other times, yet people accept it and publicise it on their own sites!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

If its on rb then they have breached dp anyway by processing and making available and processing data to a third party therefore they just as well publish. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The Run Britain only has the top 1500 in each event rather than every runner.

There is no way of knowing exactly how many runners actually took part.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Well my overall finish position in the marathon at Bournemouth was 1017 of 3001, if that's not giving away any state secrets! 

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

What is quite funny is that if you go the marathon photos website and put in a bib number, you'll get a message which says "Congratulations [first name] on completing, with a finish time of: h:mmimages" along with the photos. And if you click on "Download your free finish certificate" you get the surname too image

• maybe they have had a cock up with the timing chips and don't want them to be looked at too closely......

eg their results compared to the photographs.

manchester had the timing chip cock up this year and then they sorted it out in a few days.........I am not convinced that they managed to do it thoroughly......just compared the duplicated times with some photos and adjust everyone who contacted them with their own timings..

and now I hear another marathgon has had  a choip malfunction.

seems like its getting common and I wonder what the backup system for these races is.....

• Many years since I ran 'The National' but when we finished we were given a numbered token which we handed in the other end of the finishing tunnel and a few days later a full results booklet was published.  not much in the way of technology and 2,000 runners.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It could be a chip issue they are trying to hide but they have done the same thing at another of their events, the Edinburgh Marathon.
  • Maybe they saw the sign at the hill of the new forest half which said " pain is temporary-Internet results are forever" and got scared ...image
  • Robin Hood marathon and half marathon took over 10 days to publish the results. The provisional results were pulled off the web site very quickly, and then when they were republished as provisional results there were some glaring errors. (Ok really I'm more annoyed about this as I went from winning £50 in vouchers to ziltch image)

Seems like there is a spate of races with glitches in chip timing.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You must be gutted AR.

What happened?
  • I think another runners chip can't have registered as after 10 days time I'd moved down one place to 12th and 4th place V40. The bugger had to be a V40 didn't he! Not that I had expected anthing results wise as I  spent far too much time in the portaloos during the race! His Power of 10 form looked consistent so I didn't unleash Mr A and SNR on that case image

• Total cost to me and Mrs C to travel and lodge £600 and the bloody chip don't work,

top it all a 32 min PB, doooh

Must be a way to check the chip is working prior to starting the race.