Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Fab work MC!!! All that hard work paying off. 

Pete - I feel for you, it'll get easier.

I dreamt last night that it was the night before Wild Boar HIM and I only had a red mountain bike to use (and in proper dream fashion it was bit odd shaped), also it didn't have a bottle cage and I hadn't cycled anywhere near 50 miles and I started to panick if I was going to make it at all. Unfortunately then I woke up so no more HIM for me... image

• Hi all,

Started my own beginners thread but this looks like the place to be for newbies 

Just starting out, and as would appear to be the common theme amongst newbies I'm a terrible swimmer, I can cycle faily well and am although I'm far from quick I can run a bit, aiming for my local sprint tri in May then a full olympic in July, so hopefully I've given myself plenty of time to prepare properly.

I'll get round to reading all 500+ pages of this thread at some point but from what I have read this looks a fun place to be image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Welcome BeerSwiller. Some here are more experienced than others, I've only done one sprint tri and nothing this year but some of the guys that regularly post have done HIMs and IMs so lots of good advice on here and lots of motivation!

You have plenty of time to train for your events, just keep the good work going. 

• Hi BeerSwiller - if you're decent on the bike, then you're already well on course for your tri(s).

MC way to go with the swimming.  I've been away from the pool for weeks, but plan is to get myself back in there tomorrow morning and see if I can remember how to do a length of front crawl.  There, now I have to make myself go.
    I don't think I can remember any running/biking dreams.  I wouldn't be surpised if it featured a hare laughing itself senseless as the tortoise lapped me for the second time, so perhaps for the best. image

• image Last night I dreamt I was eating a massive and I meen massive chocolate cake. It was the best dream ever. image Ay up Beer and hello dan. Not sure if anyone would be interested but sarah found this race the other day and very tempted if anyone else in interested? It's very near our house is if you are and need some logistical support we have a spare bed and stuff.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Cake - sounds like an awesome race! Unfortunately I just feel too unfit to commit to any races this year...imageimage I'm working on it but it really makes me feel image to let myself get to this point!

• Bookie is right, you are a race junkie Mr Cake!

Welcome Beerswiller... !!!!!

• image I might have a problem. But but but I have a fell race the week before and a few half marathons in the weeks after so that weekend is free. I can ever race or have to do the washing up! image

• haha, racing is way better than washing up!

Welcome beerswiller

haven't been canoeing for a few years, took me ages to get to the point where I wasn't going in circles all the time ( much to the amusement of eldest son!)

• Welcome Beerswiller.

Nice idea for a race but not for me Cake I will be busy supporting at the BallBuster the day before and at a very local 10k that day.

My mojo seems to be very fair weathered at the moment, so will need to toughen it up ready for the winter. energy levels are getting back to normal which is good and the DOMS from the spinning was definitely much less.

Cake washing up is not that bad and if it is only for one meal it is hardly anything, just do not do it when the cook has cooked masses of stuff. Because if Bookie is anything like me, all the pots/pans/utensils will have been used.

• That's what the dishwasher is for peoples!  I dont do the washing up unless it breaks and then it's a sad, sad day.  I am going to try to do a runmute to work we will see how it goes image

• I am the dishwasher.  On the brightside I've been the dishwasher for so long, I don't get DOMs even after a long session at the sink.

I've never heard of a runmute before, I hope it goes well for you.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm the cook and the dishwasher atm pretty much every day, but it's not that bad. My hands are gettting bit dry though so might have to think about wearing gloves.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Cake, that race looks pretty cool, we're only about an hour away (leeds) I'll have to see if the other half is interested

im on drying duty when it comes to washing up apparently i need more practice

• DS - runmute is when you run to work image for me that is about 8k to the train station and then another 2k to the uni after that.  Havent run to work before.

• Welcome Dan and Beerswiller. Great to have you join us image

I have four kids and am trying to teach them how to washup

5 mile run this evening and feeling pretty good.

I picked up a Garmin app code from Starbucks today for an iphone. If anyone wants it please private message me and I'll let you have it.

• Good luck chili! Kids & washing up don't seem to mix image

Runmute - cool.

• ButterCup - good luck this morning.

I made it back to the pool after a long break. My front crawl breathing rhythm totally gone to pot and pool too busy to really get to grips with it.  I think I'm mostly waiting/hoping for  a eureka moment when everthing suddenly comes together.

• Dawn I'm still struggleing as you know but from what everyone has told me if you want to crawl practice and practice some more. Doesn't have to be long session's just as often as possible.

Dan I'm just south of you in sunny sheffield. image

• Cheers Cake dude, I'll keep on chipping away at it.  Before you know it I'll be good enough to start posting in the Cr*p Swimmers R Us thread.

• Post there anyway dude and get some tip's or we will set Caz on you and tell her you have drunk all her wine. image

• Eek!   I'll be back in the pool tomorrow.  *heads out to lurk with Cr*p Swimmers*

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Still struggling with running but went for 2.6 mile run today with a slightly bad back so had to do less uphill running as I really felt it then. So frustrated but trying to keep motivated. Trying to find a swim coach as well, approach local tri club and they've kind of replied but no further info yet.

• hi everyone

feeling a bit crappy today - sore throat, hardly any sleep last night, so no run this morning and I have managed not to be a grumpy maths teacher for most of the day! It is parents evening for my son tonight though so no rest image

• Hey Mikasa and MC

I feel your pain/illness. I too am struggling to find the energy to do anything. This week I noticed that I go to work in the dark and get home when its dark. Its dark by 6pm now and only gets light around 7.30ish in the morning...I think this is getting me down, I know I have 6 months of this...

• image Being a freck I really like winter there is snow and stuff.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I like winter if there is snow! image

MC - hope your lurgy goes away quickly!

• I hate snow

I have no idea what a freck is!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think Cake means freak?!