Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Hi all - thought I'd pop in as am 99% sure of entering.

I did the half marathon in February this year and to be honest there were bits that I didn't enjoy that much.  It was the first sunny day of the year so half of Portsmouth came out for a nice genteel walk down the promenade, only to be faced with 1000 runners weaving in and out them.  I almost got mowed down by a kid on a scooter and tripped over by some dogs.  On the plus side, the goodie bag was ace and included something that I never thought I would wear, a snood - which I now swear by on long cold bike rides.  I don't think that the pedestrian problem will be there in December somehow so should be good.

Having done a very poor marathon at Ironman UK, I vowed to spend the winter trying to improve my run before doing the Outlaw iron distance tri in July.  The timing of this marathon is therefore perfect as I can do this, have a Christmas booze fest and then start Outlaw training programme on 1st Jan.  Perfect.  Bikes are locked in the shed, only swimming once a week and am running 4 x a week and am on schedule.  Not fast, but on schedule.

Am doing Basingstoke half this weekend, Solent Half the following week so we'll see how they go before Gosport Half in November which was my first ever half marathon in 2012 so am hoping for an improved time from last year.

If anyone wants a 10 miler as part of their prep, can I suggest the Lordshill 10 mile in Southampton on 3rd November.  Nice low key race mainly on closed roads.  I'll be there as a marshall.

The big debate for me is do I dare wear my Lordshill RR shirt given that it clearly says "Southampton" on it.  Portsmouth locals are not too fond of us Southampton folk so I could get a bit of abuse - could make me run faster I suppose.

Good luck and see you at the back of the start line.

• Dean - Good luck for Basingstoke on Sunday. It's my local half, and I'll be running too.
    Won't be attempting a PB, but expect to smash my course record.

I'm also doing Gosport, just signed up. I'll aim for a PB there.

Still not signed up to this.. just recovering from shin splints, so want to hit about 17mi training run before I commit.

Doubt I'll try and PB Pompey if I do end up running. Have Brighton in April for that.

Only up to 13mi at the moment! Better get a move on.

• Cheers Trippr.  I'm looking forward to Sunday and the weather forecast looks good.  I'm just using it as a long run so am not intending to try and do anything silly, not that I am fast enough anyway. 1:50 will do me this week; like you, the PB aim is Gosport.

Good luck for Sunday too.

• I must be mad - entry in the post today.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Dean a Southampton shirt in portsmouth is surely a death wish !!! 

• Little Miss Happy - I think I'm mad to have signed up too image

36 miles this week for me - I seem to have recovered from last weeks half ok.

How's everyone else's training going? Are you following any specific plans?

• I'm currently recovering from an IM and tapering for a half next weekend - hope to be back in training after that image

• I've entered this and it will be my second marathon with the first being in Tenby in July this year in the lovely heat wave! I'm hoping this will be a little easier and less hilly! Tenby really was not for the faint hearted, I completed the Cardiff half marathon yesterday in 2:01 so I hoping for near the 4 hour mark for this one. Training back to my 5 days a week incorporating one long one a week, I've got the running bug bad since starting in January, if anyone has any recommendations for future events please let me know image x
  • a running vest/shirt with Southampton wouldn't be any problem at all, there are often southampton runners here in Portsmouth for various races without incident.

I wouldn't advise wearing a Southampton FC football shirt though....

• I did it in 2011, and it is challenging for two reasons.

1 - as some of the chaps have already said; the variety of surface, wind, and inclines make it a pretty challenging course.

2 - training during December. I found keeping to a plan ahead of Christmas was almost impossible last time. My wafer-thin willpower crumbled time and again, leaving me underprepared and woefully inadequate. I think I finished in 4.35.

I'm toying with the idea of entering again, but there is absolutely no reason why point 2 won't happen again.

• Thanks all - I will refrain from wearing a Southampton FC shirt!!

Having completed Basingstoke Half on Sunday without incident, will definitely enter Portsmouth.  Looking forward to it.

Listening to an excellent programme on Ironman which is on Radio 5 live.  Well worth a listen.

• Ran a slow 15 miles today, very windy! 

My lower back hurt a little? Need to get some more long runs in!

• Also done Basingstoke half, legs are very tight and looking at getting out again tomorrow for a short 2 mile, Training towards an Ironman next September so Portsmouth gets my running target a few months ahead of where I want to be.
  • Am tempted by this marathon - ran the bournemouth marathon last week and I have the a20 path n downs marathon next month. Hmmmmmm decisions...

• drainman - is it Wales you're doing?

• Im thinking about doing this, too - have to build a week away, I.e. over Crimbo into the bargain, though, as its too far to come otherwise.

How to sell 'Christmas in Portsmouth to OH? Mmmm ....image

• Right. I am in.

Bring on a long December.

• Britrisky - we're going Bristol (in-laws) on to Portsmouth, two nights in a Premier Inn (bargain) and back to Bristol for a couple of days over xmas. Pompey is nice for a break (assuming you don't know it) there's a Warner's on Hayling Island, in fact there used to be two, though they would be expensive, a couple of nice boutique hotels or you could always do a ferry trip for a couple of days.

• I'm thinking of doing this as a training run for the Thames Trot in Feb. All depending on if I survive Snowdonia in 2 weeks.

• A good friend of mine has encouraged me to take this on. Having battled through VLM and Robin Hood Marathon on my debut year of marathons, 4:53 and 4:35, i'm determined to hit sub 4.30 before the years out, 

Look forard to see some of you lot there

• Having run this last year, my advice would be (as alluded to above): run fast... or take your swimming gear image The incoming tide will be hurrying you along!

I hadn't expected it to be as multiterrain as it was.

It was nice though to reach the turn-around point and know that you were now heading for home.

• That sounds a little worrying shazza - define 'fast' image

• Is the running fast bit where it states if you've not done the half marathon bit at 3 hours you get wet because of the tide?

i ran a very slow 17 miles, my knee is letting me down at the moment image

• Oh dear - time to take a few days off Zoe?

• I am on nights for a few days now, plan a short run on Friday, couple of short runs next week and then have great south run

What plan are you following and how long do you leave between your long runs?

• I make it up as I go along - used to do one long run a week but have been known to do them closer than that, depends how my legs feel, when I get my long bike done and what the weather's like.

• Does anyone know if times acheived would count towrads a race which asks for a qualification time e.g. london? Would times acheived on this course be verified? Please help!

• As it doesn't seem to be affiliated or say on the website that the course is accurately measured by one of the official bodies I would guess not - but an email to Rob the organiser would tell you for sure.

• Thank you. I had already asked Rob who replied that he has been asked before and that the race was chip timed. So he thought the time acheived would count. also, the London Marathon Office told me that as long as the race is accurately measured, it doesnot matter whether a race is on road or trail/MT the time would count. i hope that Portsmouth is accurately measured, Rob assures me it is.

• So.............why ask if you already had the answer? Or were you asking if anyone had used a Portsmouth time as a qualifying one?