Syrian refugees

Comments

• I agree Paulie B, if I ruled the country I'd have an open door policy! All people should be free to travel not just the rich, if capital can be freely moved then so should labour.

• So we work our balls off to pay tax, so every work shy sponger can come here and claim asylum and get a blank cheque ?

I should sodding cocoa
  • this country was built from the money and goods we took from the countries around the world .the slave trade alone financed a number of buildings and sewer projects......and by force we went into many countries and robbed them of their natyral resources....and used the money to build our road, rail and universities

so maybe then instead of letting poeple in who the majority actually want to work and make a better life for themselves.....

maybe they should just take over the country by force and steal all our resources....

we want our great way of life to be preserved now........and we want all these rights etc.....if we paid back to the world what we stole then we would have nothing.....

and also if we sent home everyone that does not have their heriotage in this country more than 400 years...we would  then  have to accept all those from around the world whose ancestors came from the uk.........I think we would be the losers by far....

• I still can't get my head round why the want to come to the UK...

The UNHCR charter and EU law states a person should seek asylum in the first place they come ashore... So Italy or France or Germany,  But They seem to sit at places like Sangatte in France trying to get from France to the UK... Why

Cos we are so sodding soft, The Frogs chuck them back

• so many want to go to the UK because they have a better knowledge of the language.

we took the english language around the world when we went in and pillaged their country.....so not surprisingly they head here as they have the language needed.I bet that few head for the countries that didn't play world domination in the past......

and with tv form america going global then english is known in more and more countries...

If i was an asylum seeker or an economical migrant I would head for a country where i knew some of the language

• While I don't disagree with the essence of what you say about the British Empire (of which Syria was never a part BTW) do you honestly think that it's right to still be using that argument decades after most of the countries that were part of that empire achieved independence and have been entitled to decide their own destiny?

• they got independance but didn't get their wealth back....I just think that its easy to sit in our big warm houses with full bellies and state that we don't want the scroungers of the world coming here and maybe lowering our standard of living.

If we don't share out the wealth a bit more evenly then i wouldn't be suprised in coming decades when resources get scarcer that we don't get overtaken by countries who will use force to get want they want/ need...we did and thats ok.

we just want to draw a line in the sand now and say .. right everyone must now play nicely and deal with what they have.....now that we are all in relative luxury

• just as the working classes eventually stood up and said we are not prepared to live in poverty and hunger  whilst the upper classes got wealthier and wealthier.....and we want ahsare of that wealth.......( obviously will never get an equal share but enough so noone is starving )....

then eventaully the poor conutries of the world will stand up and say that they want a share in the worlds wealth .....and will take it 

• Why should I share the wealth with a Syrian refugee ????

• I don't think it's helpful to label them all scroungers - there's no reason to believe they are any more scroungers than those of us in the UK.    I woldn't have an open door policy simply because wenare already over populated, especially in areas where new immigrants would be likely to settle, and because it would cause massive economic and social dislocation in inner cities.   Yes it's a selfish approach but if people want to be selfless there are plenty ofncharities to donate to or youncould go and join/fight Al Qaeda and sort the problem out at source.

As for whether we owe these countries for the past.   It's a reasonable argument but the wealth was not distributed equally in the UK and many in the inner cities don't even descend from people who were in the UK back then so why should they bear the brunt of an open door policy?  Plus if we are paying our Empire back I want a cheap Merc in return for my ancestors fighting Hitler.

• Do you think if I pitched up outside of the home of someone in Kensington and told the owners 'This looks like a nice area and nice place. Mind if I have one of you spare bedrooms?' ...... do you think they'd mind?

• but if you had nothing at all and were starving and had children that were starving to death then you might ask them for some food..........and if they said no then you might take it by force......

If my children ahdn't eaten for days then i'm sure if i could not get food by any legal method then i would resort to just about any method to get it............especially if i saw that same family burn a pile of left over food or feed it to their dogs.....

• but if you had nothing at all and were starving and had children that were starving to death then you might ask them for some food..........

And under the UNHCR you have the right to ask for that at the first country you arrive in... But It seems that all these refugees wander across Europe to get HERE !!!

Hmmm a tent in southern Italy or a 3 bed semi in Doncaster ?  Tricky

• Have a look at the refugees hanging around the Eurostar tunnel ...... most are twenty something guys .......not women with 4 children at their feet.

Genuine refugees rarely have the resources to even get to Europe. All of what you see are economic migrants wanting a better life, which is fine, but by the same token, I'd like to live in a  3 bed house next to Harrods, but it aint gonna happen.

• Seren - I think what you say is true but it's a different argument.

• I'm not saying that some aren't after the economical benefits.the majority just want to survive..

If a third power suddenly invaded ireland and said they were going to kill evry single person there who had blue eyes.........

so that millions were forced to seek refuge in britain in one go..

I can see the brits going.yes yes everyone must stay here in this country.no problem....

we would be asking many other countries in the world to help out and take their share.....

I agree that we can't have an open door policy for the world......but just saying that it ain't our problem as they ain't our neighbours and collectingly calling them scroungers ain'y useful....

if they werte scroungers then they wouldn't have travelled half way around the world to try and get a better life for them selves.........think of the people you call scroungers in this country.would they risk hardship and death and hunger to travel across the world to try an better themselves.no..

• I don't think anybody is saying that Seren.

But for the sake of immediate safety, surely it makes the most sense for Arab speaking people to take refuge in other Arab speaking nations?

• Oh that could never happen Screamapillar .......... its not like Arab nations have wealth ...... oh wait. Ok well its not like they have lots of land .......... oh wait.

But then again, how could they spend their time building skyscapers in a desert if they spent the money on things like refugees.

• DTESpartan said: 

And under the UNHCR you have the right to ask for that at the first country you arrive in... But It seems that all these refugees wander across Europe to get HERE !!!

Hmmm a tent in southern Italy or a 3 bed semi in Doncaster ?  Tricky

Did you read the figures I put in a previous post about which countries have the most refugees? Here they are again....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

By and large refugees do stay in the country they first tip up in. We have an increasingly harsh asylum system. Try reading this: http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum

• 1 in 4 people in Jordan at the moment is a refugee.......how on earth is any country suppossed to cvope with that.just because a neighbouring country has got a civil war

• Given the geographical size of the UK though Peter, do you really think it's a good thing that it is 15th on that list?

Especially when you compare the ratio to the native poplation which in the (vast ) USA is three times what it is here?

• 1 in 10 in lebanon......

• Interestingly the United Arab Emirates has 12,207 natives per refugee - there's a nation that could be doing more if ever there was one!

Look at Oman and Qatar!

• A lot of the beliefs of those people are in direct contrast to the LAWS of the countries which they are trying to flee to. There are countries who have laws more suited to them that they should go.

Point two is that it can be easy to sit in your little village in Wales and complain about "Daily Mail attitudes" but when you are living among the worst hit areas then it can be much different. You have to look at how it affects the people of Dover and Margate and not just your own little white liberal town.

• Well, true SR.

I worry about overcrowding because I see it every day.

I've lived in my London suburb since 1999 and have made pretty much the same journey to and from work every day.

I start and finish a bit earlier than most people and, in that time, I've seen the tubes go from pretty empty to almost full and I've seen the traffic on the main road build up form virtually nothing, to heavy, to gridlocked. 

I don't have children but I can only imaging that the local schools are becoming overcrowded and I know that houses that used to be home to two or three people are now somewhere where six or seven blokes from eastern Europe kip down every night.

In fact there are so many people living off the radar in my borough that that council come round periodically and check people's garages and outhouses!

It's completely unsustainable.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

if they are good runners why not?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

DTESpartan said: 

By and large refugees do stay in the country they first tip up in.

this would seem a bit unfair on France, Spain and Italy who are often the first port of entry for refugees to EU.

not many make it all the way to Iceland.