Saturday 19 October 2013

Hey, little dolly with the blue jeans on (heavy American accent)

Training today?
Well, no actually.
I kind of forgot to get any on yesterday,but worked on the basis that it's better to be 3% undertrained than 3% overtrained. In my case that will be 15% undertrained versus 10 % undertrained.

Lyrics? That relates to me cashing in my birthday present. Apparently I'm off on a surprise driving experience, with an Aston Martin V8, a Lamborghini and a Ferrari 360. Not many laps in each, but what ho, it's going to be fun.

Comments

• Morning.

Hope you have a great day Blisters.

Stay off your feet and take it easy postie.

Alehouse - I agree to a point but given HR/pace relationship there must also be an element of improved fitness.

What:                an hour on the bike or turbo
    Why:                 rain may have arrived by the time I've finished the shopping.
    Last hard:         13/10
    Last rest:          27/9

Lyrics - think so.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

LMH, I know what you mean about the boost to training.  I've always seen improvement as a series of plateaus to get past.  Great when it happens, really pleased you are running so well image

Already in my kit for XC at 2pm, lol nothing wrong with being prepared.  Actualy got a lot of chore-type things to do before that so I better get cracking on.  

• LOL Donaldo! You could always shower before you did the race to save some more time...

• Morning!

Couple of hours in the garden d and d.

What: long run this pm.
    Why: Saturday seems to be my long run day.

Enjoy this pm, Don, and other racers. And enjoy tomorrow those who are racing.

The edit function is back!
    Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • A'noon

Just been confirmed that I've got a new job and start on Mondayimage

• Great stuff BM image

Sounds a fun B'day present Blisters

What: sea swim followed by very wet and windy 8 miles over Marwick Head this morning
    Why: I think a lot of people might ask that?
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: stock answer (no)

LOL donaldo
    Actually on Saturday mornings we all get swiming gear on as we get up before driving to location.

Not weather for gardening here AH - actually not really weather for doing anything outside - strong winds and a lot of water. Significant flooding on roads.
    Hope it's better for XC donaldo!

• Afternoon

What nowt

Why Saturday

Lyrics possibly

Easy day at work catching up with few friends/customers.

Suppose I ought to get my kit ready for tomorrow.

Run well all this weekend

• 50 miles on turbo d&d

Don must be muddy by now!!

Credit to OH  - Sea swim - nice!

Birks - nice

Ale - how long is long

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya, 
    Blisters hope you're having a good day
    Birks - good news
    Ale - yes, how far?
    Hope Don had fun too.
    Me? Hampshire XC race 1 at Reading. Had a decent run, felt pretty comfortble, 3 short steep hills per lap, but managed OK. Felt quite strong on the run in, so was taking a few people on over the last half mile. 151st, no idea out of how many. This league I aim to avoid the bottom 25% so I hope 200+ runners. I was our 2nd V40 home, so its the first (and probably last)time I'm a scorer!
    why - league run
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - finding out they had run out of tea and bacon rolls around 3pm this afternoon...
    Have a great w/end

• Afternoon! And a very pleasant day it has been, weather-wise, although clouding over now.

Great news, Birks! Hope you start late enough to begin the thread before you head off to the job!

Dustin: sounds an OK race!

What: 64 mins largely off road at an easy pace
    Why: banking the minutes! The last four Saturdays I have now run over the hour, although this was probably the toughest in terms of terrain.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon

sounds like a lovely birthday present blisters

good race dustin

donaldo hope the xc went well

alehouse 64 mins - nice!

oh wow, saturday morning sea swim and an 8 mile run!

birkmyre good news re job

what: 2.5 hours with just about every hill around here that I could think of!

why: see how I get on

last hard: that was, I am truly cream crackered

last easy: yesterday

have a good saturday evening all

I won't do much at all now until next saturday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Nothing much for me planned either Wabo

• That's great news birkmyre - congratulations.

Wabo - that's a long run this close.

Good start to the x-country season Dustin.

Hope you weren't late after that donaldo image

Mild and dry here all day. Just did an hour out on the hybrid (roads are too wet for the road bike really, no point in risking it at this time of the year bike miles are bike miles) would have ridden longer but was mindful of wanting to do my longest run since Almere tomorrow. Probably should have done an effort session on the turbo for max training benefit but there are plenty of days ahead when getting out won't be an option I'm sure so may as well make the most of it.

• Ale, are you travelling early March - nice run today!!

• Have yet to decide, Paddy! It is certainly one to do, whether it is next year on in the future.

Wabo: never mind the cream crackers, have you baked the Christmas cake yet? Good long run by the way! Confidence builder!

Blisters: hope you enjoyed the birthday present.

Off shortly for godson's stag evening, organised by my son who is best man. The "olds" (godson's father, his future father-in-law and myself) have only been invited to the meal this evening (not even to the clubs afterwards). They have been clay pigeon shooting and segway riding this pm.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Birkmyre, well done mate, pleased for you image

Dustin, sounds good, very similar to me today!

East District League meeting 1 - Stirling University

It was 2005 when 'I last did this event.  Ended up 43rd back then.  Today, anything inside the top 143 would do me fine.  Rain stormed from the sky for the whole morning so the course was like a quagmire in sections - but very fast in other sections.  Being the last event of the day made a lorra lorra mud!  I started nice and easily, running as smoothly as I could over the grass.  First thing I noticed that everyone was avoiding the puddles and the mud so throughout the race, I just crashed through the middle - probably picking up at least 12 places just by doing that alone - great advice for a new XC person - don't veer around a puddle, just charge through the middle.  The race was 3 laps of 3000m each and because if my cautious start, I made a lot of ground and places up in laps 2 and 3 and finished strongly.  It really is the best way to do XC.  Not sure of my position, will let you know when I find out, but I was delighted and my motivation levels are now very high - race 2 is a month away and I want to be fitter or that.  A good day.image

• Quck post before the other olds arrive!
    Well done Don: for most people, i.e. not the top 10 or so, I agree the way to run cross country is indeed to be cautious and pick people off. And take the shortest line! I have actually run at Stirling Uni: 1975 or 6 British Unis XC. It was tough, from the little I remember!

• Good running donaldo - I've always been of the same opinion re the mud and puddles.

Have a nice evening Alehouse - they could at least have let you join in the shooting.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

What: mostly resting though did go on a longish walk this afternoon
    Why: have 2 lacrosse matches tomorrow so saving myself for those
    Lyrics: nope

Good luck to all racing tomorrow.
    Sounds like a good run Don.

Have a good one all.

• Ale, hope the long run went OK
    Birks, happy new job
    OH, sea swim and 8 miler sounds like a fun Saturday
    Dustin, good outing. Beating people on the run in is always welcome.
    Wabo, a neat hour done
    LMH, building up carefully I see. Enjoy the exercise I say.

An interesting day for weather. Enstone was bone dry all day. 10 miles away the roads were like rivers and the rain was like stair rods at 1" centres. The heavy rain continued for miles and miles, and it had clearly been damp at home, 40 miles to the west. Bizarre.

Driving the 3 supercars was an experience and a half. I was expecting them to be powerful, but it was a bit of a shock just how powerful they were. My preconceptions were also totally shattered. All had a manual box and no turbos in sight.

Ferrari 360, I was really looking forward to this one, a bit like wanting to bed a pin up model. Awesome power, off the line I missed 2nd gear and the car had a paddy and stopped. I never got the hang of it, or the feel. Following the above analogy, it was like finding out that the pin up model smoked 40 a day. I drove like a w*******r.

Aston Martin Vantage V8. I see a lot of them about, relatively speaking. It's a shopping car for Cheltenham, isn't it? This just felt altogether better. By the time I was on my 3rd lap I was starting to get the tiniest bit of tyre squeal on the sharpest corners. I'd still not got the measure of the circuit though. I can see why it's popular now.

Lamborghini Gallardo. This one caused me worry. 550hp. Huge. Engine at rear. Pedals offset. Quirky. I drove it hard towards the corners and braked. No drama, just g forces. Next one gobbled up. Then the next. Each one taken harder and using more of the road. Instructor asked me for more, and got me to clip the corners tighter. The Raging Bull was just so within its limits I could have, and probably did, make horrendous errors and it let me get away with them. I even had to overtake the Ferrari 360 (Mid corner on a thin piece of 6m asphalt). Of all the three, I really, truly enjoyed this one.

Which would I buy? The Aston Martin. Why? You couldn't even take the others shopping to Cheltenham.

• Today's lyrics

Ramrod by Bruce Springstein.

Unsubtle lyrics.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Seeing as its a late post and Blisters has stated the lyrics (I still don't know them)...

Glad you had a good fast day Blisters

Me - sat in the classroom most the day doing my CiRF course day 1.... as we are getting Taught some of the basics I ask the question with others also wanted to ask.... How is it not like this in our club... I have never been shown majority of what we were doing yet alone be told why we are doing it (esp warm ups etc....) very interesting..... and good day.

4.25m done at 9pm tonight.... nice run