Minimalist shoes confused a bit but I am going to take the plunge

Summary, dodgy knees (both have has meniscus tears) and I am slightly overweight (probably about 87kg just now).  I have decided to go a bit minimalist and am looking for a bit of advice on what soes to get.

I am thinking about gettign the Kinvara 3s, they are now under £50 and seem to be somewhere between traditional shoes and 'proper' minimalist and zero drop shoes.  £50 is at the top end of what I want to spend as I want to go with my normal shoes for longer runs (Pegasus 28), brak the minimalist ones in until I can do longer distances in the minimalist ones.

Any advice on alternatives or where to get cheap ones to try out would as always be much appreciated.

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Where is it possible to get cheap ones to "try out" from on the Internet?

• i would try going to a shop.

• Listen to this carefully. You buy them and then try them out by running in them for a few months. Do you really think you can evaluate whether minimalist shoes are right for you by trying them on in the shop? Anyway, have you been busy and what time do you finish?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DT, has the advice come from a physio to to go minimalist?

I'd be a leeeetle reluctant to make such a big change just off fancying it...

• I think you can see if they fit and are comfortable by going to a shop and trying on lots of different pairs. Then you buy some and try those ones out for a few months.

• PS: £50 might not be as cheap as you think - Kinvara are not that durable and probably won't last long if you are overweight.

• £70 will get you some Brooks Pure drifts.  They come with a removable insert to give either a 2mm drop with it or a 0mm drop without it.

• Can't see the connection why you think minimalist shoes are the answer to dodgy knees - care to explain? In the meantime, I'd try to keep an eye on the two separate variables stack height (amount of cushioning) and heel to toe drop. If you want to stick to a "bit" minimalist then there are a few shoes with 4 to 6 mm drop with have everything from very little to a lot of cushioning. Going straight to zero drop is likely to give you a different type of injury unless you take a long time for the transition.

• and if you really think minamilist shoes are the way forward why are you sticking with the pegasus for long runs......seems like you are only half heratedly looking for a miracle cure.......without cutting back your mileage and building up slowly and addressing the problems you have

• I am planning on getting a pair of Kinvaras - I think that a move to a 'zero drop' shoe would just be a bit too much.  Even then, I am planning on slowly putting them into my rotation till I can do my normal mileage.

Steve, different running form should alleviate the impact on my knees but will be a transition period with alterations to my mileage and keeping tabs on how my calfs are going.

Seren, I am not looking for a miracle cure, though one would be goodimage. Looking for something that will improve my technique and understanding that there will be an inevitible transition period is not something that I would consider 'half hearted'. I am keeping the Pegasus in the rotation so that I can maintain decent mileage while transitioning to new shoes/style.  

• Minimalist shoes that may help you land midfoot may be better for knees, but come with a whole world of other possible injuries. Kinvara's probably a sensible option over e.g. drifts. It may be best to invest in running technique training instead

• Went out for my first run since my calf injury a couple of weeks ago, just a light three miles and I was concentrating on my technique.  Not really changing it but concentrating on what I was doing and it turns out that I actually mid foot strike, well on my light runs anyway.

Ill see how the Kinvaras work out, I do intend to transition into them slowly and if they just arent workign for some reason then Ill stop using.  On the upside the initial signs are good, neutral foot, mid foot strike so looking forwards to getting back to normal mileage once I have built my calf up

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    goji wrote (see)

Minimalist shoes that may help you land midfoot may be better for knees, but come with a whole world of other possible injuries. Kinvara's probably a sensible option over e.g. drifts. It may be best to invest in running technique training instead

What running technique training would you suggest?  Chi, Pose, Barefoot, or some other?

• First run in the kinvaras this afternoon (another light 3 miler to bring my calf back slowly).  Really nice and light and didn't feel anything funny going on Other than the mild tightness in my calf which I had in the pegasus a couple of days back anyway.

Looking good, going to increase my mileage a touch for a run on Saturday. Should I go back to the pegs or kinvara. Also reminds me that I should also check the pegs for wear, got them a couple of years back and although I didn't maintain a constant mileage (due to playing football) they might well be a bit worn

• Taxi Driver wrote (see)

What running technique training would you suggest?  Chi, Pose, Barefoot, or some other?

I don't feel qualified to recommend specific techniques, but my approach would be to follow sensible and individually tailored advice from a sensible  running coach who doesn't follow one style blindly. We are all different and I don't think one style fits all.