Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• Sam, think about bumping more of the 16-18 mile runs in P&D up to 20 miles rather than (or as well as!) adding extra miles to fewer 20 milers. 

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

siony wrote (see)

only thing that matters to me is that I've trained and ran to the best of my ability and have enjoyed it. 

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

arrrrhhh can't work the quotey thing

Siony - that's exactly how i feel. And Snowdonia's not that bad you know.

Nice 10 mile loop earlier today, managed to avoid the rain and it felt nice and easy so well pleased.

Waiting for my spiced marmalade cake to cool now so i can have a bitimage

• Sam_Turner wrote (see)

Cheers SB, that's good to know. I made up my own training plan for Chester which involved five 20+ milers going up to 24 miles - and on the day still flagged badly over the last five miles. So who knows. I'm a bit nervous about the 55 mile plan only going up to 20 miles max so I might bump one or two up to 22. Which I guess will make it a 57 mile plan.

I think these training plans are probably a little like a recipe for a dish.  If you follow the basic thread of the method, you'll produce a decent end result but don't be afraid to tinker with one or two ingrediants if you think you can get away with it.  Adding in a few longer runs or extending the longer runs shouldn't be a problem if you have a decent endurance base to start with.

God knows what the secret is to surviving the last 5-6 miles whilst keeping your pace up.  I'm hoping that longer LSRs and more of them will help but i'm not going to get complacent about it.  I was carbed up to hell last time, sucking on gels every few miles.  It got to the point at 18/19 miles that I was having to really force water down my throat because I felt so bloated.  I felt bloated before i'd even started.  So even heavily card loaded, I ran out of glycogen stores but paid for the privilege by feeling like i'd been inflated.  I may try a different carb loading regime this time, maybe more carbs two and three days out and less the day before.

• Well I've given in to temptation and much to Mrs RR's dismay have entered Manchester again for 2014, having done it as my first marathon this year

Similar to many of the previous posts, happy to finish my first, wanted a slightly better time than the 4:15 I did but made some mistakes and flagged to the point of almost walking in the last 5-6 miles. I think I went off too quickly and basically ran out of steam as the 4hr marker who I intended to follow, overtook me at around 21 miles and I had nothing left to try and follow

My training plan only had 1 20 mile run, the rest of them were around 16-18 and speaking to other runners, I ran some of the longer runs too quickly and was not getting enough time on my feet as opposed to running

This time around I've got the Capesthorne HM in 2 weeks where I've already done a couple of 13 milers in training, am looking to build on this between Nov and Dec and then ramp it up in the new year and do at least 2-3 20 milers so that I've got a bit more in the tank. Will also do Wilmslow HM and perhaps one other along the way

Have to say, as a biased local and I know the weather was good this year but timing fiasco apart (which doesn't really affect me as a plodder) I thought the atmosphere and overall day was great

One note of caution on the carb loading, I was really struggling with times and little niggles in the 2-3 months post-marathon for no apparent reason until it was pointed out that I may have put on a few pounds despite the amount of running I was doing.

I had indeed put a not inconsiderable amount on and having shifted most of it again my times have started to move in the right direction. I can only put the weight gain down to overdoing it carb/food-wise around the time of the marathon

• RockinRockyRobin - I will be at Capesthorne in a couple of weeks too!  Number arrived at the weekend (199), if you see me around give me a nod.  Im aiming for a 1:45 finish but it will be touch and go. 

Also booked in for Wilmslow next year although i might not go flat out with it being 2 weeks before Manchester.  Might do it as a training run.

John

• I'm guilty of tending to want to run at the same pace- so I go to fast on LSR and tend to be a bit lazy with intervals- want to do my best to rectify this time

not sure about longest run- went up to 22 miles lady time and had a groin niggle about 3 weeks before the day- meant I missed last LSR and tapered more than wanted to do

think I want a few more 20s but ts correct pace and do quality intervals 

why is it a glorious day today whilst I'm at work and got soaked over weekend !

• RRR - great to see you return as well.  That's three of us back for more punishment, reckon there might be one or two other "old faces" cropping up in the months ahead image

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)

RRR - great to see you return as well.  That's three of us back for more punishment, reckon there might be one or two other "old faces" cropping up in the months ahead image

Indeed good to see some recognisable names and faces image, sad to say I am actually looking forward to doing another one, such a buzz at times on the course and as a "local" seeing old faces/friends in the crowd besides complete strangers shouting your name as you go past

Have to say this forum was really useful last time round and (although easy with hindsight) I wish I'd taken on board every piece of advice I was given as 95% of it was spot on and the remainder probably was to more seasoned runners

Redpanda had her baby a few weeks ago and is doing well

• does anyone know if theres a difference between the 2 editions of advanced marathon book-besided the year they were published! the early version is far cheaper

• Karl - From looking at the notes on amazon it looks like they have added a couple of new sections, one of them being a half marathon section.  Hopefully someone who has both will come along and give more insight image

• i think I have the later version and they mention something about what's different in this version but if i recall it amounts to "we tinkered around the edges a bit to give us an excuse to puboish an updated version". I believe the plans are pretty similar. Don't hold me to that though.

• Do you reckon the Manchester marathon will fill up? If so, when? Did it fill this year? I'm planning on delaying entry until around xmas when I know whether or not my ITB is fully gone and I can cope with the increasing mileage.

• I know this year's event still had spaces available in the spring - I think as late as March - however it seems to be a much more popular option this year due to the success of the last couple of years I think. I wouldn't expect it to fill before the end of the year - but don't quote me on that!

• Hi, I was thinking the same -  the reviews of 2013 are pretty positive, which means 2014 is likely to be quicker to fill up, while the reviews of 2012 were, er, slightly less positive.  On the other hand, RW says 10,000 places available, with 8,000 last year, and only 5,000 finished last year.  I reckon you'd be unlucky to miss out if you wait until the new year.  No transfer of numbers mean folk are likely to want to be reasonably certain of getting to the start line before signing up.  that's my plan anyway!

• The race in 2012 was a nightmare wasn't down to the organiseration per say more was snowing, hail, wind and generally very freakish weather. only thing that was missing as a tornado. image

The organiser's hadn't considered this possibly through so didn't cope as well as they might with it. So it put a lot of people off this year. I don't think it will sell out quickly but will be quicker than this year if you want a place.  

• fair comment Cake, those kind of conditions can cause chaos even with the best laid preparations.  although I bet if that kind of weather happens again the Manchester organisers will be ready and waiting for it.

• Hope so to be fair i don't think they could have planned it but could have been better organised. Sure they will learn from previous races through. *touch wood*?

• Evening all,

I'm in! From Leeds so not too far but looking for suitable accommodation. I'm looking for some advice over where to stay. Sale? Altrincham? I've looked at Trafford and the prices are sky high!

Anyway, its just occured to me that in actual fact, the beginning of April isn't too far away! I'll probably start training after Leeds Abbey Dash 10K in Mid November. Need to start incorperating some more speed sessions into my training, hoping for around 3 hours 5.

• Salford Quays Travelodge reasonable and close to start....

• Well about a mile I think....I looked on map

• The ibis is pretty close-on the map anyway!double room was £53,didnt think it was too bad for the convenience of where it is.

The warehouse has rooms which is even closer,but there is a club attached so not sure if noise would be a problem??

ill take  alook at the older version of the book thenimage

• bev hart wrote (see)

Salford Quays Travelodge reasonable and close to start....

image Stayed there before and it's ok and the tram/bus system from there should be ok for getting to the start line. image

• I'm in!

I've had a mad year for Marathons.  Started with London where I did 4.17, the day after I got an email saying I could enter Edinburgh last minute, so I did and bounced off a 3.58 (!!!!!!) - I class that as a 'free' marathon as I didnt really need to do any more training, just ticked over.

Then in my wisdom and buzzing from sub 4 decided I'd enter York, follow P&D and get a 3.45 so I could get into London on GFA.  Well, I soon discovered I am cr8p at summer running!

P&D went out the window after 3 weeks and that was it, I can safely say I never got back into training properly and as a result brought home a 4.27 on Sunday and I didnt really enjoy it.

This means I need to right that wrong so I've entered Manchester and all being well I'll dig out my P&D bible and get back on it in the dark, cold and wet weather we're bound to have!

I'm still thinking about entering Edinburgh too as a London 2014 reject........

• Cool, well it's a good course for a PB so I'm sure you'll have a shot at that 3.45, especially as winter training suits you better. But three marathons in one year, that's a decent achievement whatever way you look at it!

• I am doing Liverpool a few weeks after Manchester as I want to enjoy it with my chap who won't be doing much marathon training...we hoping to chill around the course after I have done well at Manchester image !! I have discovered I am good for age so going for it at Manchester. By the by, I did Bupa Great Run in Birmingham at weekend and got placed first for my age category (thrilled) BUT.... BUPA do not recognise vet categories for prizes....prizes go to first 10 !! (out of 20,000) How elitist and mean is that?? I am currently ranting on as many media as possible as even very small runs encourage people to keep being competitive despite the handicap of age!!

• Bev - is that the Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon? I think I might do both. Liverpool looks a lot more spectator friendly (I think my g/f is far from sold on the offer of a night in Altrincham, watching me run and pandering to a slight Smiths obsession bytaking me to Salford!) - and is also a bank holiday weekend.

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

I'm in. Ran 3:37 in Chester, was on for sub 3:30 but faded badly in the last 3 miles due to hills, heat and going off too fast. So this time I'm looking to get under 3:30.

Going to follow the Hansons Marathon Method which is, in their words, a renegade training plan. The mileage per week is quite high but the long runs top out at 16 miles. I'm seeing it as more of an experiment to find out if it works!

Booked into the Premier Inn by Old Trafford so only a little walk to the start.

• 2wheels wrote (see)

Bev - is that the Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon? I think I might do both. Liverpool looks a lot more spectator friendly (I think my g/f is far from sold on the offer of a night in Altrincham, watching me run and pandering to a slight Smiths obsession bytaking me to Salford!) - and is also a bank holiday weekend.

As a local, Alty isn't too bad and a few of the more expensive hotels tend to do Marathon deals for people staying over. The tram system means you could pretty much stay anywhere in Trafford and find it easy to get to the start

As a United fan and a Mancunian, I guess I'm a little biased against Liverpool anyway due to the rivalries between the 2 cities

Manchester was great for spectators this year (one of the reasons why they got rid of the Dunham/Partington section) and there's only really the first couple of miles around the back of the football ground and then the section between Sale (Mersey Farm) and Flixton where you don't get many people watching due to accessibility. On the other hand you get large crowds in Sale and Altrincham town centres and along Marsland and Brooklands roads

What is difficult is trying to watch someone in a number of different places on the course due to road closures and the tram system. The trams struggle to cope with football and cricket matches at OT, particularly since the network was expanded and the fact that it's a "Sunday service". I know people not used to using crowded trains found it quite uncomfortable

My family walked up from our house in Timperley, to watch me go through Altrincham at around 12-13 miles and then got the tram from Alty to the finish line and weren't hanging around for that long (due to the time it took to get on a tram and get to Old Trafford, not due to a speedy time on my part!)

• Chomski wrote (see)

I'm in. Ran 3:37 in Chester, was on for sub 3:30 but faded badly in the last 3 miles due to hills, heat and going off too fast. So this time I'm looking to get under 3:30.

Going to follow the Hansons Marathon Method which is, in their words, a renegade training plan. The mileage per week is quite high but the long runs top out at 16 miles. I'm seeing it as more of an experiment to find out if it works!

Booked into the Premier Inn by Old Trafford so only a little walk to the start.

I used one of the plans from the marathon website last time and then tweaked it to take account of my starting point being at a slightly higher mileage than Week 1.

I don't think I get above 43 miles on my 4 runs/week on my intended plan but I will have a decent base and am hoping to take more time over the longer runs (as someone said in an earlier post, I'd like to get round again and perhaps enjoy it a bit more but not aiming for an earth shattering time)

Would be interested to see the results of other plans, there were a mixed bag in use on the forum last year. Might also be good to see what the Asics plans are like given they are now a sponsor of Manchester next year