Nike+ GPS watch query

dm1983dm1983 ✭✭

Is it correct, as Nike appear to be trying to tell me, that without the footpod sensor and a pair of compatible trainers, this would only provide me with the data from my run and not a map of it?

Comments

• No. The mapping comes from the GPS chip inside the watch. The foot pod is used when you're indoors or unable to receive a GPS signal and provides pace data. It won't provide any kind of mapping. 

• stu jstu j ✭✭✭

the footpod also doesn't need to sit in a compatible trainer (nike make shoes that you can insert the chip under the sole) ... you can also buy fairly cheap holders that you can tie the chip onto your lace

• Does this watch upload to Nike + so that when you load the app on your smartphone all mileage and runs are updated accordingly? I currently have a garmin 410 but its too fiddly and I want something more user freindly, I like the look of this watch. Thanks

• It does upload to Nike+ - you connect to your PC / laptop via the inbuilt USB connection, and any new runs will be updated. You can then add comments to each run or list which shoes you were wearing (it will track mileage for each pair of shoes for you) and when you access the Nike+ app these runs should appear automatically. You may have to "update" on the app, but the whole thing works pretty well.

Alhough the footpod is theoretically for indoor / treadmill use, the watch seems to work much better / quicker when it's connected - without the footpod, updating real-time pace always seems to take forever. You certainly don't need Nike shoes - you can either use on of the various holders, or even simpler, get some self-adhesiv velcro strips - you only need about 1". Attach one side to the back of the footpod, and the other to the top of the tongue of the shoe. Position such that doesn't affect flex of shoe and such that the laces help to hold the footpod in place. I've been doing this for over a year and the footpod has never come loose.

It's a good watch and the Nike+ interface is dead easy to use.

• Hi Liam,

I'm currently looking at that watch just now ( it's between the Nike + and the Garmin 210 ),  it sounds like you really like the watch...  would you recommend it ?

Also I'd like to use it for the bike,  however I've heard when you try to upload to NikePlus and your speeds are above 20 miles an hour then Nike will not upload that data....  Can you confirm this ?  if so what speed limit is there.. 20, 30 or 40 mph ?

Cheers

HighlandPlodder

• I got a response to my above query from Nike Support.

If anyone is interested,  the upload site will dismiss any speeds above 30 km/h ( approx 20 mph )....  That's very unfortunate as I really like the watch,  time to look at a Garmin.

HighlandPlodder

• Sorry for not getting back to you.

Yes, I like the watch, but I only use it for running, so the idea of a "speed limit" isn't something I've ever thought about! I would recommend it for running, but if you want something which can handle cycling as well, the Nike+ probably isn't it.

• DO you know how many runs can be stored on the watch prior to uploading them.  I have been bought the watch by my wife and due to my health situation have as yet not been able to use it. I previously had Garmin watches but for one reason or another i no longer do.  I could store loads of runs on these. 

• dan lodge wrote (see)

Does this watch upload to Nike + so that when you load the app on your smartphone all mileage and runs are updated accordingly? I currently have a garmin 410 but its too fiddly and I want something more user freindly, I like the look of this watch. Thanks

I run with the watch, have tried the iPhone app as well, but it would seem that the iPhone app only stores runs made on the iPhone app. It doesn't sync with the website runs I uploaded from the watch. Shame, that would be a lovely addition. 

• The nike running iphone app does sync with all your runs on nike plus - including those logged with a watch

• really? wonder what am I doing wrong... Doesn't really matter, I rarely use the phone app. 

• well funnily enough, after this post, I re-downloaded the app for my phone and found that it synced all my runs. awesome image

• Its a shame it doesnt update on the app, part of the fun is sharing runs and stats on fbook which you can do with the app. Im going to hang on till Nike release a version that updates via wireless/bluetooth. For now Im sticking with my Garmin.