Best Ultras in the UK

Hi All. In previous years I have tried to summarise all the Ultras in the UK onto this page on my site however there are far too many now to realistically do this so I have decided to do the "best" ones instead.

Where I know about them I am adding blogs to each race so that you can have a read before commiting image

Obviously this is incredibly biased towards my own experience and likely to be heavily affected by my poor memory.

If you have any additions then let me know. Also if you have any blogs you'd like me to add then let me know and I'll try to get round to it.

Thanks image

http://runningandstuff.squarespace.com/great-british-ultras/

Comments

• Sorry. I'm a bit slow I thought this was a forum a place to talk about things and so I thought ohhh what a great subject... But nope you don't mention one and just link to your site...... I think the idea of a forum is to discuss things not just to say everyone look at my x ... image

• Well, we can and should do exactly that image

Grand Union Canal Run. That is my favourite.

• I've only done one image so that's my favourite so far. Ladybower. 

I've signed up to do the wall thingy next year, so hoping that will be fun image

• Ring O' Fire.  Best race ever (despite a DNF). 

• Ohhh I forgot to add the Ring O Fire. Has the date for that been ocnfirmed yet?

• Anyone got a recommendation for a first timer?

• I reckon COuntry to Capital is a great first time race. It's only in three months though

Some nice trails for 20ish miles then a nice flat canal for another 20ish.

• Was hoping to train during the summer months next year and then an event in late Aug/sept or Oct.

• Sad not to see any LDWA events.

• Jelly babies. Have you thought about doing a 24 hr run as your 1st step into ultra distance. They're usually held on a closed loop, so you're in control of your nutrition, shoes etc and can adjust as needed on each lap. There's also no pressure on you on whether you will be able to complete the distance because it's a timed event. 

Equinox 24 hour run was good this year, and they've just opened up entries for next year with a 10 percent early bird discount. I'm signed up. And its in September.

I know multiple laps is not everyone's cup of tea, but just thought I'd let you know of the option.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit. I'm currently putting a list of ultegra distances also, but mine is more to do with actual costs and value for Money etc.

when it's finished, I'll post it up. 

Talking about LDWA events. Has anyone done the 3 rings of Shap event? Looks a bargain.

• Fueled by jelly babies. ladybower was great 20/35/50 choice and run on a 15m lap, so if lacking a bit of confidence not to far from homeimage also only need to carry food / water for each lap

13 hour limit for 50m last plodder this year was 11:54 (me) and is held in September (21st next year) 

• shawkshawk ✭✭✭
    james r adams wrote (see)

Ohhh I forgot to add the Ring O Fire. Has the date for that been ocnfirmed yet?

29-31 August

Thanks for posting this, I think ROF is now my back-up if I don't get picked for UTMB. On the surface a multiday lap of Anglesy doesn't sound like my kind of race but when you look at the splits and itinery it all clicks into place. Imagine crawling in at 4am after 65 miles of day 2 to be faced with less than 90 mins kip/recovery before going straight back out for another 35... character building image

• I agree with your picks for the hardest ultras in the UK.  The Hardmoors 160 might ultimately rate alongside the ones you have mentioned, but lets wait and see. 

I also agree with your suggestion that the SDW100 might be the best 100 miler for a first timer, despite the fact that it would appear to be at the harder end of the spectrum on paper. 

• You ought to include Beachy Head Marathon in your "honourable mentions" - hilly AND the wind is in your face all the way around (which is quite a feat given that it's a circular course).

• Debra, entirely possible, as there's a circular 10k course near me that's all uphill.

• The swim section at Bala middle distance is uphill.

• Like the look of the Ladyblower Booktrunk but a bit far for me as I'm down south image

Not sure about a 24 hour event Richard.

• I enjoyed the Kennet & Avon canal race 56 miler this year. Would be a cracking race if it had a few more competitors. Plus it was a 1£ a mile so can't grumble

• Born to Run 40m in Llanelli along the seafront and up a scenic cycle path deserves a mention. Small, low key event well run by Matt with super goody bags image

Also, just ran the first Newcastle Racecourse 50k yesterday- 19 laps of the ambulance track around the horse racecourse- but it deserves a mention for 2 reasons: a) well organised and cheap (but with tech t shirt and medal image) b) the fact that it is a 'road' 50k!!!! How rare are those these days????

Also a marathon and a half at the same timeimage

• I added a few more to the list yesterday but will add these now. I know Born to Run is a great event as is the Ladyblower. Have not met anyone who did the K&A race though the piece of string race used that canal and it is lovely so might have a look at it. Some great pubs on that route image

• Frostbite 30 as the weekend was great, well worth a trip to for an ultra at shorter end of spectrum. But offers great value, with good food at CP and end and a good long sleeve (nice change) tech t-shirt thrown in for £15. Marked route too, but no thrills otherwiseNice route too, kind of a tour of Nidderdale with a variety of track from short road bits, good paths to wet trods at the turnaround. From Pateley bridge up dale to loop the reservoirs in shadow of Gt Whernside and with several high moorland bits thrown in.

Bit like Marlboro - by the sound of it - a great little run that deserves mention in a topic where longer runs may dominate the contender choices of many as these 30'somethings are sort of the "build up events" for many and starter events for others.

• Drunken Euphoria on tour wrote (see)

Frostbite 30 as the weekend was great, well worth a trip to for an

Bit like Marlboro - by the sound of it - a great little run that deserves mention in a topic where longer runs may dominate the contender choices of many as these 30'somethings are sort of the "build up events" for many and starter events for others.

One of the charms of this sport, is that in a 30 something event, the novices can end up running with the ultra monsters, who are using it as a training run. 

That can be a wonderful experience for some ultra runners getting into the game!

• im a ultra monster look at my photoimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Well, I am going to stick in a word for the Barry 40image The longest running ultra in the UK with a great history. If you think 161 laps of a track would be boring, well, you would be wrong. Just run it last weekend- fab support, great camaraderie and slick organisation! Oh, and the sun came outimage

• jason d wrote (see)

Born to Run 40m in Llanelli along the seafront and up a scenic cycle path deserves a mention. Small, low key event well run by Matt with super goody bags image

Also, just ran the first Newcastle Racecourse 50k yesterday- 19 laps of the ambulance track around the horse racecourse- but it deserves a mention for 2 reasons: a) well organised and cheap (but with tech t shirt and medal image) b) the fact that it is a 'road' 50k!!!! How rare are those these days????

Also a marathon and a half at the same timeimage

One more for Born to Run in Llanelli, very friendly event and well run

• Just over 2weeks for the born to run,and the underside of my heel is wreckedimage