Three laps of Shap

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/Cumbria/W/485/2014-entries-and-event-details.html

Im thinking of doing this next year and wondered if anyone else is thinking of doing it. It would be good to hear of past runners experiences of it also. Seems a steal at that price.

Comments

• Its a great event - friendly and well organised - better reasons to do it than the price. The three lap format makes completion harder as its so easy to finish after 2 laps.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Friend ( Though I'm not sure he is after reading it! ) sent me the link at the weekend, looking at the tab as I type. Trying to talk myself out of doing it at the moment!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Go on, do it, you know u want to image I've signed up for the 62 miles and have opted in for the overnight stay option.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the problem. I do want to!
  • I did it once but only did the first two rings. That village hall is so inviting it's tough to go out on the third ring into advancing darkness. The first ring takes you west into the rugged fringes of the Lake District. The other two rings go east, as I recall. It's a brilliant event and quite a tough undertaking that demands mental fortitude to get back out there on another ring when it's raining and blowing a gale.

• What was it like underfoot? I'm imagining slippery rocky trail. Shoe choice?

How was the navigation side of it, or was it on well trodden paths?

How technical were the descents? Much run-able?

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Bump, cause I wanna know too.
  • The first loop is low level mountain terrain - typical lake district paths and a little grassy fell top terrain. Conditions under foot depend on the weather - I did it during epic rain in 2012. You get a blow by blow route description but ability to navigate in the hills off map and compass is highly desirable if the weather was poor. Second loop is lower lying "Dales" more roads though still mainly paths. Don't know about loop 3 as I elected to avoid over egging the distance as I was nursing an injury.

I wore well treaded trail shoes (Cascadia) which were fine. There were no technical descents. Its fairly runable if you can run that kind of stuff.

BTW its "rings" not laps image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Cheers Muddling, 

• Thanks Muddling. Laps? Rings? What was I thinking, doh. image