Dublin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Time to grow a pair and get on with it - You have done the training - You can't do anymore but run the race - If your injured then I'm sorry - but don't get taper madness and talk yourself out of anything - The crowd will will you to the finish

On the other hand my knees are a bit sore and I'm worried I will run out of steam

It's called taper madnessimage

• Thansk Jim I hope it is a bit of madness! image

• Hi Shea

i wasn't having a go at anyone - I was just showing how taper madness affects us all. This will be my 7th marathon and I will be as nervous as I was at my first. Up to now I have had to walk partly in 3 of them - it all depends how you feel on the day

• No offence taken Jim, am looking forward to next Monday hopefully it wont be pi**ing down like today!

• Any marathon runners staying at Mespil hotel?

• You could always just not run for the week Shea, if its that painful. Your fitness will come down a bit, but it might be what you need to fully recover and im sure you and Jim will both get around.

Felt weird having Saturday as rest/cross train day!! Cant remember the last time that happend!

Last week of training now hey!!

a 6, a 7, a 5 with speed work and then a 4 for me. But with travelling and everything, im not sure i will get the four in......

• Good luck to ye all..im staying at the davenport..think its not too far from the start..train service is up the left as due to line maintanence we have to bus it from drogheda so to hell wiv that im goin to take the car down as i wanna be at the expo b4 3pm sunday..does any of you nice people know if the pacer guys hang out at the expo? Want to ask a few questions regarding their pacing strategy etc...
  • Hi sausageroll. Yes, the pacers have a little stand at the expo so you can meet them, get a pace band and have a chat. They're also available via boards.ie I think.

• The countdown has begun. With a crap night's sleep unfortunately. image Did a 35minute bike session at the gym today - just to get the blood moving around a bit.

An early night for me tonight so I'm refreshed for Tuesday evening as I'm off to the theatre to see Jeeves & Wooster with Matthew McFadden (Jeeves) and Steven Mangan (Wooster). image

Apparently my coach has a little 30 minute session planned for me on Wednesday. It's a bit of a mystery.... image

Silly question but are there both mile and km markers along the route? The Marathon website seems to be a little basic and short of details...

• Good point about the markers Anne. Are they in Miles or KM does any one know ?

And Jeees & Wooster, bet that will be good!!

I am staying at Latchfords Self-Catering , right by the start

• Davenport is a two minute walk from the start. i park nearby and use therir toilet facilities and hang around there until it is time to go to the start

• Markers are in miles and kilometres but I tdon't   think it is every kilometre, it is every mile

• Noticed this post over on boards.ie:

Latest update from MT, the boards weather guru:

NEXT WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... Rain should begin to ease Saturday morning and there could be some brighter spells by afternoon with highs 12-14 C, fresh westerly breezes developing, then Sunday will be a partly to mostly cloudy day with a few showers in fresh backing southwesterly winds, highs 12-14 C. Monday (28th) could see stronger winds (GFS and ECM models have very strong winds, with gusts over 100 km/hr possible so we'll be keeping a close eye on how this develops closer to the time)

• this weather predicting thing this early on is a fool's game but given the weather for the last few years as been so good for the DCM a bad one is due some time...but an optimistic one forecasts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=277110&stc=1&d=1382432226

• Thanks Jim, thats good to know. I wont need a huge 42 point pace band then!! lol

And thanks for the weathr update adog, i had been wondering about that. In my last marathon we experienced light to heavy showers for pretty much the entire run in late October North West England.

• Good to know the davenport is only 2 min walk from starting line jim...apparently theres an underground secure car park nearby??..SJCP14..i think the mile markers are every mile and the kms every 5kms..thats how it looked to me when i read the official website..
  • Thanks sausageroll

Anybody got that nerous excited feeling after seeing that there is only a few more runs till race day!!

• Yeah SJCP14...its getting close now and being my first marathon and all that i get butterflys thinking about it..lol...im worried that i wont get much sleep the night before but as hal higdon says as long as your horizontal your resting...what wave are you in SJCP14? ive probably asked you this weeks ago..image
  • Am I eating too much? Am I eating enough? Should I run an extra couple of miles? Should I just rest? Is that a sore throat....is that my achilles hurting?

I HATE tapering it's harder than the event.....I'm going to wrap myself in cotton wool and get into a box and sleep until Monday ...Hibernate like the Blue Peter tortoise...arrrggghh c'mon next week...hurry up!

• lol im with you Monty39!! Not long now!!

Didnt know it was your first, sausageroll and yes it can be tricky to sleep the night before. What i do, is have a long layin the day before, it makes up for it then.image

Not sure what Wave im in, as its not on any of the emails have had back from them and i cant remember what i put for a time. it a be one of the front ones i guess.......

Marv, I bet those words are thoughts are going though all our minds!! And whatever did happen to that tortoise!!

• I know its very late but i bought new pair running shoes today..its a long story but im playing it safe..ive two more 2 mile runs to do and i intend on wearing new runners at work too...bit of feedback on that decision please? My shoes that ive used since 19th august have 264 miles on them..(brooks ghost6)
  • I know that jimbo but one side of my left shoe is well wore as this was due to over compensating for my sore right knee back in august..when i ran today i could feel the impact on left foot more than usual..felt like shoe wasnt absorbing it..
  • Thanks for your advice everyone. I booked into the Red Cow Moran a while ago and was considering changing for somewhere closer to the city centre. After weighing up the pros and cons, we've decided to stay put and travel in. Even with luas, bus and train fares, it still works out far cheaper to B&B here than in the CC. Have a great run all. image

• The video shows the 8 steps of running a marathon courtesy of the Dublin Marathon facebook page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ItnxJLAOeY&feature=player_embeddedimage

• sausageroll:  yeah, for what it's worth, here's what i'd do: i'd definitely wear the new runners in the race (that is if they're the same/generally similar model to your old model of runners...obviously wear whatever type of socks you intend wearing in the marathon on your last two two-mile runs, so too wear such type of socks when wearing the new works etc to work, to expo etc...i wouldn't run a marathon with one shoe well worn compared to the other...from experience, i'd say you could really run into trouble in the last 12k or so...the left foot could flare up...

anyway, look at this (yikes):

http://s.imwx.com/img/intl/131023wind.jpg

• Thanks for the link Jim, very interesting.

I think youve cut it a bit close Sausageroll for changing shoes. I changed three weeks before the Preston Marathon last year and the woman at sweatshop tried to talk me out of using them. They were ok on the day, but then i did get three weeks of running in them done before hand. I guess its up to you, you would really have to wear them pretty much non-stop from now to try and wear them in as quick as you can.

Thanks for the weather update adog. I saw i BBC breakfast this morning that a load of rain is heading this way!! Fingers crossed its cleared up or died down before Monday.

• Cheers adog woof..yeah thankfully i got the exact same shoe..hooefully have them broke in on time for monday...SJCP14 your right im cutting it well fine;-)...anyway the storm thats supposed to be heading our way is very concerning aint it? Heard on radio this morn it could be as bad as the storm in 1987...