Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Yes, i was asking if anyone had used the time as a qualifying one.

• Ah - that makes more sense. Where are you looking for a qualifying time for? I must admit from the route description I don't think it's one I'd choose - you're a brave woman!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I just missed Good for age VLM this year. 4.03, thinking it was sub 4.15 and not knowing they had changed time! A disaster at carpi last w/e for many reasons and thats why its important

• I think they caught quite a few people out when they changed the qualifying times - not good really. You have loads of time to get your GFA for VLM next year though.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Well i've just signed up for this one. Hope everyones fit and is training well. Not looking forward to those dark nights that are soon to be upon us though!! See you all on the 22nd!!

• I'm in, I think - it said online entries were closed, but it took my money and sent me a confirmation email ... So see you there too!

• Hi - entered last week so looks like I just made it too if they have closed entries now so looking for some support having now actually looked at the course video and realised it includes proper shingle and stones! This will be my third marathon - did VLM and Chester this year and just couldn't bear to wait for a Spring one so thought - why not - it should be different and fun and at least flat.

Haven't booked a hotel yet so any suggestions welcome - otherwise am planning on getting back into my marathon training programme with the added twist of running on the beach/shore/seaweed line..  Doing an 18 mile run this weekend so will do at least some on the beach or grass for practice. Not done a long run in bad weather before either - just been lucky - so again feel I need a strategy for driving wind and rain.  Bizarrely looking forward to the challenge though!

• Torquayrunner - I've gone for the cheap option and booked the Premier Inn but not the one on Southsea front. Not a course to chase a PB on I don't think but good motivation to keep the training going. My strategy for driving wind and rain is to grit my teeth and get it over with as quickly as possible image

Good news brit.

• The Hotel Ibis which is about 1-2 miles from the start line often promotes fairly reasonable rates. Otherwise, the Etap in Fratton (close to the train station) is a little further but you can get to the seafront by bus in about 10-15 minutes, I understand this is quite cheap too.

• There is also a best western (Royal Beach) very close to the start/finish that often have reasonable rates. Loads of B&B's in seafront area. You should be able to find something to suit any budget.

• Previous posts about entries closing freaked me out a bit as had been hanging on until pay day.....so entry made and email confirmation received.  Guess I'm in.  Best get back on the training plan as have been avoiding rain and thunder during the past week.

If people are planning on staying in a hotel on the Sunday night also, the nearby Holiday Inn may be a good bet as it has pool, steam room, sauna etc.  After the race there is a cafe by the putting green about 10 min walk from the finish line, that do awesome cakes!

Happy training in the rain and darkness all.

• Thanks for accommodation info - will start looking.  It may all hang on where is prepared to do an early breakfast of porridge.....

Got my new trail shoes today - Adidas Kanadia - as old ones looking sad and tatty - so plenty of time to wear them in and itching to go for muddy run now!

• Instant porridge is the way to go.

Is it a trail shoe course? I know the Billy Trail is fine for road shoes.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

I entered last week too as thought that they would fill soon - not sure yet that I can definitely do it, always hard to plan that far ahead with Christmas and families

I have the Kanadia too but while I'll use them for BHM this Saturday, I was expecting to be in road shoes for this. I was the last time I ran it (in it's first year - 3 ago was it?). There's some trail but even that is mostly proper footpath, with more than half the course on tarmac no?

• I sneakily checked out the videos on the website last night.. Just a skim through. I think most of the course is footpaths and tarmac. There is definitely a few points that trail shoes would help but think i'll stick to my road shoes.

Finally bit the bullet and booked my place. 3rd marathon this year, very excited

• Road shoes it is then - which is good as I've never run further than 14 miles in my trail shoes. Mostly use them in the snow/ice/slush.

• I'm going with road shoes - looks like way too much tarmac for trail shoes to be comfortable over that distance

• Yes I will wear road shoes too for the marathon but planning on lots of cross country training for the uneven element (and some of those footpaths look like they have the potential to muddy up nicely with hundreds of runners going both ways so those of us at the back of the field get well churned paths!)

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, Dean, That cake shop sounds like it will get a visit from me after the race!!

I'm staying in a premier inn close to the M27 so a short drive sunday morning. Currently very reasonable at £29 a room.

• Is that the tenth hole cafe, heard about the cakes from friends

• Do you think there will be problems passing runners coming from the opposite direction ?

• I wondered that as the video shows some very narrow paths, but just had an email with the race instructions and map and it certainly looks well organised so am hoping it all goes smoothly. 

• I also received my e mailed instructions yesterday. I ran the Solent Half Marathon on October 13th in 1.43.03 and doing the Lordshill 10 mile Sunday week. Hoping for sub 1.18. I haven't run the Coastal Marathon before, but used to run frequently along the Southsea Sea Front to Eastney and back, so am familiar with some of the area. I never had any problems with pedestrians, even in the summer,and my runs were in the lunch time.  

• I've received my email too - but does anyone know if there is a place to leave bags at the start/finish?

• It doesn't mention it in the e mail, but does state supervised baggage storage on the event page where you enter.

• It surprises me the amount of complaints I have seen bemoaning pedestrians walking along the beach. It's as stupid as say FIFA deciding to host a World Cup in Qatar and then complaining about the hot temperatures.

What is supposed to happen? Pedestrians should be expected and do not affect my opinion on the race.

• Marty/Zoe - Yep, cafe is the Tenth Hole cafe.  http://www.thetenthhole.co.uk/

I was in Portsmouth for a meeting this morning so dived in for a pretty awesome slab of cheesecake.  I also walked along the prom for a bit and am hoping that there is not as much wind on 22.12 as there was today. 

Re Baggage area.  I did the half earlier in the year and there was a baggage area that had the makings of a secure area, but when it came to collecting bags after the race, you just helped yourself; so I guess not totally secure though I had no problems.

• Just done a showery and windy 18 miles along the Torquay/Paignton seafronts so feel my coastal specific training well under way! Wind as ever seemed to be against me in both directions but surprisingly warm so not a bad one at all.  Beginning to quite look forward to the challenge of a December marathon!

• After a cracking day out yesterday at Snowdonia, I'm in for this. Will ake a nice training run for Thames Trot in Feb.