Inov-8 past experiences welcome......

13»

Comments

• Yes, I also found that the double knotted laces slipped. Sounds like I was lucky to get three months out of my Roclites. I emailed Inov-8 three days ago but no response yet! If they don't have the decency to get back to me then I certainly won't buy any more of their kit.

• My X-Talon 190 ripped at the usual crease in the forefoot. I think it's just bound to be a problem with trail shoes that are really flexible and have a mesh upper. That said, they are supposed to be for that purpose so you'd think they would last a bit longer. I notice they redesigned the second version of these which may have addressed the issue.

I emailed Inov-8 about it as I couldn't find my shop receipt and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked - couldn't have been happier with their service.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/gazhowell/Running%20Shoes/xtalon_zpseacef457.jpg

• In0v-8 did get back to me regarding my query as to how long they would expect their shoes to last. FYI here's their response;

"Sorry to hear you have had a problem with your Roclite 295s.   It's impossible to give an idea on how many miles a pair of shoes will last, our shoes are very lightweight so they won't last as long as a very heavy road shoe.  If you are pretty light, have a good running style and clean the mud off your shoes after every run then you should get 1,000 miles out of your shoes.  Most people don't clean the mud of their shoes after each run, the mud in the Pennines is acidic so will destroy shoes pretty quick. Also if you are running on a lot of roads in a trail shoe then the sole and midsole won't last as long as they are designed. The Roclite 295 has a soft sticky rubber sole, which grips better on wet rock, but the downside to this it will wear quicker when running on the road.   If you are a heavier runner or want a shoe that will last longer, then trying one of our heavier shoes would be a better option, like the Roclite 315.   Thanks   Adrian"  
    I'm 175lbs, (79kgs) and 6' 3", so not exactly super obese, and I would say that half the mileage was done walking. I'd also class myself as a "light footed" runner because most of the stuff I go out on is rough and foot placement is important to prevent falling/injury. Out of the 17 times I wore them, they were hosed off 7 times, so I must just have been unlucky to only get 190 miles out of mine. Anyway the roclites have gone now so no longer an issue.    Just another point. With the extra cushioning of my Adidas Trail Response, i've had noticeably less pain from my achilles and calfs. In the first few months I'd put this down to not having run for a good number of years, but now think it may have had more to do with the minimalist cushioning of the Inov-8's. Not really a criticism of the 295's but more a cautionary note for beginners. You live and learn!
  • Wow, I can't believe I found this thread! I've just recently been fobbed off by the Inov-8 distributors in Australia (barefootinc). I too have had problems with my F-lite195s when they started tearing only after 3.5 months (343km). BarefootInc basically said they could only offer me a replacement shoe at half price!!!? WTF?.. Look, I get that my foot is wider than normal but I've never had a shoe that could only last 3.5 months! I basically said how can we support local business when you get this kind of response. Furthermore, why risk the hassle when companies like Wiggle have a superior returns policy? On balance it's been such a disappointing saga especially when you follow accomplished ultra runners like Shona Stephenson and Brendan Davies who are both Inov-8 athletes here in Australia.... Anyway, just sayin!

• happyfeet2000 wrote (see)

Wow, I can't believe I found this thread! I've just recently been fobbed off by the Inov-8 distributors in Australia (barefootinc). I too have had problems with my F-lite195s when they started tearing only after 3.5 months (343km). BarefootInc basically said they could only offer me a replacement shoe at half price!!!? WTF?.. Look, I get that my foot is wider than normal but I've never had a shoe that could only last 3.5 months! I basically said how can we support local business when you get this kind of response. Furthermore, why risk the hassle when companies like Wiggle have a superior returns policy? On balance it's been such a disappointing saga especially when you follow accomplished ultra runners like Shona Stephenson and Brendan Davies who are both Inov-8 athletes here in Australia.... Anyway, just sayin!

I'd contact Inov-8 directly. Their customer srvice is pretty good at sorting out these kind of issues.

Of course it would be better if they made a better quality shoe in the first place. My 295s have just split at the flex point after about 250 miles. Thankfully I got them cheap so not too bothered.......

• I think us, as consumers, need to be realistic. We wont buy a heavy shoe and moan like hell when we have a super light weight shoe eat itself in a matter of months (me included, so this is in no way a dig).  I guess we've driven Inov8 to produce 'race day' only footwear because we simply won't wear a shoe that weights over 350g. 

Having said that, I'm about 100 miles away from retiring my 233's at which point they will have 700 miles on them; which is precisely ten times as much as my Bare grips had when they were replaced by Inov8 (and subsequently sold on by me).

• The 295s in question are marketed by Inov-8 as being "tough,  reliable and combines underfoot protection with comfort." If their products are aimed at running off-road, through all that environment would normally throw at them, I don't think it unreasonable to expect them to live up to the billing, especially when you are paying approx £100 a pair.

My mudclaws, Orocs and x-talons however are fine - I've never had any cause to complain about those. I just think some of the materials they use are just not up to the job........

• I have a pair of x talin 190s which have split like the ones earlier in the thread. Who have people been emailing regarding complaints. I will have done less than 150 miles in them. Great shoe but very poor durability
  • gazhowell wrote (see)

My X-Talon 190 ripped at the usual crease in the forefoot. I think it's just bound to be a problem with trail shoes that are really flexible and have a mesh upper. That said, they are supposed to be for that purpose so you'd think they would last a bit longer. I notice they redesigned the second version of these which may have addressed the issue.

I emailed Inov-8 about it as I couldn't find my shop receipt and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked - couldn't have been happier with their service.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x249/gazhowell/Running%20Shoes/xtalon_zpseacef457.jpg

I had the same model in the picture, they did wear into a hole on the instep ball of foot area where the upper meets the sole. Unfortunately I chucked them, as I had had them for a while, but had done way less miles in them than the Walshes I replaced them with. I have just taken delivery of a pair of  bare grip 200's. I like minimalism in a shoe so love the feel of these. I have a pair of vibram five fingers kso's and have to say you don't get much more minimalist than those yet they are so well sealed at the joins I can't imagine them coming adrift, and they haven't so far. So the minimalist argument doesn't stack up. I think the difference is the vibrams flex in the sole as well as the upper so no friction between a soft mesh and a hard sole. 

• I contacted inov 8 who very helpful and when I sent them back to sportsshoes.com they have sent me a replacement pair of the new bright orange x- talon 190 in recognition of a manufacturing problem with the previous red ones
  • I didn't have any problems at all I first contacted inov8 who told me to contact the retailer. I contacted the retailer who were happy to replace with the new bright orange model. In my email communications both to inov8 and sportsshoes.com I attached a photo of my trainers as well as a link to this thread. Good luck
  • ...and my replacement pair of 255s are going again in the same place after 130 miles

• Hmm.. my trailroc 236s have exactly the same rip on the right shoe after 150 miles. Not sure if I should contact Cotswold Outdoors where I bought them or Invo8?

• stanmorekstanmorek ✭✭✭

/members/images/601052/Gallery/IMGP2041.jpg

/members/images/601052/Gallery/IMGP2040.jpg

/members/images/601052/Gallery/IMGP2042.jpg

Had the Road-X 233 for 12 months now with about 1000 miles or more on mostly pavement and hard packed canal tow path. The characteristic spliting to the front side happened early on but the inner liner hasn't so I just carried on with them.

Haven't decided when to retire them yet. 

• I have the 233s too. Mine went on the right edge, in line with the firt laces, after 200 miles.

• Do not buy Inov8 Rocklites 295, i also bought these shoes due to being under the impression that they are a tough mountain shoe, this is not the case.

I have done a total of 70-90k in these shoes mainly on paths and mountain trails in the Lake District; both shoes now have outer side splits on the crease of the shoe. I feel that this is not acceptable as i have other branded trainers half the price that are not advertised as a tough mountain shoe and have done at least twice as much distance and have been absolutely battered.

Inov8 have admitted that there is some kind of design floor.

I now have to go through the argues process of trying to justify a return.

Can anyone please recommend a pair of trainers same specs as the 295s but not Inov8?

Many Thanks.

• I think Inov8 have/are updating the upper matierial on some of their shoes for a more durable shoe. I know my new 245s and Flite 232s have this newer upper

• My Roclites tend to split like this.  They had done around 500 miles in all weathers so can't complain but they still had a good bit of tread left which I would like to have worn out. 

/members/images/835840/Gallery/Roclite_rip.jpg